Quantcast

yer take on the intense M1

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
hey i was just wondering what all you peeps thought about the M1? what do you think it would be like with an 02 monster T? cause i might have the chance to trade my cove g-spot for a small 2001 M1. just let me know yer thoughts on the subject.

just find one and ride it, there are a ton of them around here...then decide...everyone has a different opinion then you..we all can give you the basic idea..but who knows if you will like it. Its a good solid frame for the most part.

do what makes oyu happy..not all the "interent guru's"

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
M1's are great bikes. They are a race bike but i did plenty of freeride. I found it better on the shore then my old Norco VPS-1 by a long shot.

The smalls are very small. find one and ride before you decide. i was certain that i needed a small. i rode one. then got on the med and realized that is where i needed to be.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I have not ridden one but I believe the standard thought on them is they are worth about a season if raced hard. They aren't supposed to be the longest lasting frame without a rebuild so if you are looking at a 2001, check it's history.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
I ride an M1 and I really like it. They are very good bikes for racing, but I also ride it at the jump park and it does just fine. I run the super-T pro and I like the way it rides! Guys seem to think most girls don't know the differnce from one bike to another...but, I must say I have rode a couple other dh bikes and they don't compare to my M1...Just my opinion! :rolleyes:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
ArEm7 said:
I have not ridden one but I believe the standard thought on them is they are worth about a season if raced hard. They aren't supposed to be the longest lasting frame without a rebuild so if you are looking at a 2001, check it's history.
Although the warranty proccess is lengthy and sometimes frustrating, they stand behind their product.
I bought my first one on 2000, had the chainstay replaced with in a few months as did every one of that vintage, free of charge.
After the '01 (or '02? I can't remember) season I had the front replaced due to a crack on the headtube, again, as did every one of that vintage and again FOC.
For the '03 season I got a deal on a 5e front end with an issue, bought a used 5e shock and a new machined link (for 5e). I worked a deal on a new chain-stay (warrantied FOC) and warrantied my seat-stay because it was getting a little sloppy around the axle adapters, FOC. I raced that season and rode the bike and raced all of the '04 season on that frame.
Of course everybody's experience is different, but for the original purchase price in 2000 and what I'll call an "upgrade" charge of about $500 in 2003, this will be my sixth (6) season essentially on that original frame.
I'm not saying get the frame your looking at and I'm not here to blow Intenses' horn, but I have had a pretty good experience with mine.
BTW, I am ~225-240 depending on when you scale me but have been told I'm a real smooth rider.

Intense frames are built as race frames, not hucking frames. Some people have good luck with them in that regard and some don't. You mileage may vary........

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
trailhacker -

so you have replaced parts of your framset each season for 6 seasons esentially replacing everything that was once original on it at time of purchase...

how can you say it is esentially the same frame? :)

anywho....
the m1 rides awesome. no doubt about it. they run small which is great for me being a short rider. from what i can tell, they are solid for a hard season of racing and then need fixing up..but any bike after racing on it for a season will need fixing...look at the pain one can put on a bike with just one solid week at whistler? i dont think you can hold that against instense.

they stand behind their products, and that alone is a great selling point.

but like everyone said, give one a ride before investing any time/money into the wrong size bike.

cheerios!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
seand said:
they run small which is great for me being a short rider.
They do run small. I'm 5'5 135 lbs and I have a medium. I could probably run a small, but the medium is fine.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
cove rider said:
also i do have the opertunity to also trade my frame for a 01 super 8 also a small. so im not sure which one to go with its a hard choice

What do you want that the cove does not do?

for 115 lbs, i would say try a small. there are not very many smalls around. i saw someone with Sarah Chandlers old small yellows out at PA. MEDs are all over the place.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
bibs said:
small super 8 would be more your bike, M1 is killer but i have seen your riding style, oy uwould loe a super 8 with a avy...sick sick bike!! but you would have ot find one for sale....try the M1 you will be fine!
well i have found one that the guy is willing to trade me for. i agree with you my riding style isnt really that racey and i prefer to freeride. i rode my friends super 8 a few times and its a large and i love it and have always wanted one. last time i was at SST he was their so i rode his bike down a couple of runs i even did the step down on his bike before he did.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
66 said:
What do you want that the cove does not do?

for 115 lbs, i would say try a small. there are not very many smalls around. i saw someone with Sarah Chandlers old small yellows out at PA. MEDs are all over the place.
cove rider said:
also i do have the opertunity to also trade my frame for a 01 super 8 also a small. so im not sure which one to go with its a hard choice
the coves travel seems to run out to fast so i want somthin with more travel

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
seand said:
trailhacker -

so you have replaced parts of your framset each season for 6 seasons esentially replacing everything that was once original on it at time of purchase...

how can you say it is esentially the same frame? :)
I wouldn't say each season. Chainstay first season, mainframe third season. Since my "upgrade" in 2003 the only thing I've replaced has been a broken spring on the 5e shock. And for the most part of last year it was my "thrashing" bike, the bike I rode at Whistler, 38, Duvall, etc.
I say essentially the same because I paid for it once, not physically the same.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
maybe you need to pick your lines better and work on flow to not run out of your travel so quickly? ive seen people go HUGE on their coves on fromme and never mention running out of suspension....

being 5'5" and 115", there is no reason you should be bottoming out...maybe a heavier spring weight?

...strange

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
seand said:
maybe you need to pick your lines better and work on flow to not run out of your travel so quickly? ive seen people go HUGE on their coves on fromme and never mention running out of suspension....

being 5'5" and 115", there is no reason you should be bottoming out...maybe a heavier spring weight?

...strange
Maybe you should not be an @ss. People need to be less judging. Mabye he just wants a new bike? Is he not allowed to ask what people think of M1's with out getting this crap.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
seand said:

...strange
B_LOWrider said:
Maybe you should not be an @ss. People need to be less judging. Mabye he just wants a new bike? Is he not allowed to ask what people think of M1's with out getting this crap.
thank you very much.and i do want a new bike and one thats just got more travel is all jeez people lay off

seand said:

...strange
are you serious? you were kididng right?

yea, guys alot of people like to "flex theri e-muscles" I find it funy, that people that can not ride alot of stuff (not saying anyones names or anything) talk alot of smack and act like they no everything, the DH forum is crazy like that. Its a joke, no one cares about numbers and bull****...just ride your bike and be cool. thats all, cove rider, get what makes oyu happy and what you want....the M1 is a good bike, but hte super 8 will make you happy! I miss mine...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
bibs - yeah my e-sarcasm needed tags....that was super dry... heh, oh well :)

wanting a new bike is a good reason to look into an m1...but if you want to swap bikes only because of the travel running out...maybe try a higher spring weight first?

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
idiot? not very nice :)

i, however, have a solution....

cove rider said:
ya at the end of the day me and my buddys all went to the like 10 foot drop right off the cement path by the parking lot and were gonna do that to finish up the day.

well the last time i tried it i went way to fast totally overshot the ladding and landed totally flat bottoming my monster T with medium springs and i weigh 115 pounds. o and i also bent the left pedal (their azonic a-frames too!!!!)

why not try and stop doing stupid things like this and you wont have to worry about needing more travel.

3 day weekend starts in..3..2..1..yay!

hey, enjoy the weekend man!

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
bibs said:
are you serious? you were kididng right?

yea, guys alot of people like to "flex theri e-muscles" I find it funy, that people that can not ride alot of stuff (not saying anyones names or anything) talk alot of smack and act like they no everything, the DH forum is crazy like that. Its a joke, no one cares about numbers and bull****...just ride your bike and be cool. thats all, cove rider, get what makes oyu happy and what you want....the M1 is a good bike, but hte super 8 will make you happy! I miss mine...
Yeah Dood get pissed!! I love it!! And is that the Monster T I sold you off my cousins Karp? Holy Sh*t do I miss hucking that thing.....SICK!!!

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
no i bought it off a guy at tims bike shop in everett he was riding a stab primo. hey that wasnt stupid it was just not smart. but i want somthing that could take huge hits like that. o and i found out the other day that same drop broke my deraliuer hanger. it fell off yesterday. hehehe