Quantcast

Yes, we closed 5 minutes ago, but can I help you quickly???

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't try and change it around...you didn't get helped because the person was lazy it was because they were closed...CLOSED!! It's a pretty simple concept...D
Cool.

"Hey, I got 3 flats tonight, and I ran out of tubes and patch kits. Can you please sell me a tube?"

"Nope sorry, it is after seven. We are closed."

"Please sell me a tube? I have to ride another 20 miles home."

"We're CLOSED!! It's a pretty simple concept."

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I used to tell people it would cost $5 additional for a tube after we were officially closed for the day. Sometimes it was worth it to them.

But closed is closed.

If a customer came in 1 minute before closing, we'd help them no matter what. If we had to stay there 30 minutes more, so what. We were open when they came in.

If they show up 10 minutes after closing all bangin on the window - they outta luck mang.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Cool.

"Hey, I got 3 flats tonight, and I ran out of tubes and patch kits. Can you please sell me a tube?"

"Nope sorry, it is after seven. We are closed."

"Please sell me a tube? I have to ride another 20 miles home."

"We're CLOSED!! It's a pretty simple concept."
Dude, don't even go there. That's a completely different scenario.

You walked into a STILL OPEN grocery store. You had your mind on chicken salad, and you refused to leave with a different food selection, so you acted like a d*ck.

The rest of the store was open, and in America, and in a Safeway of all places, your options for food are limitless. You could have had something else and probably been perfectly content with something else. But you became self absorbed, thinking if only for a moment, that you were special, and that your desire for chicken salad was more important than following the rules (rules being store hours which, day-in and day-out, are posted on the door or the food counter). Just because you had a sense of entitlement doesn't mean the kid was in the wrong and you were in the right.

"The customer is always right" is a courtesy that customer's who are nice should be afforded. Not every customer who thinks they deserve the "above and beyond" treatment. Call that discrimination, but we all discriminate against those who aren't nice to us, versus those who are. If a customer comes in late one day, but is very appreciative, I'll happily let him in the store late the next time he/shes comes around. But if they're a dick about it, the next time they show up late, I'll happily point to the sign, and shine them on.

If everyone treated every food establishment/retail chain like you treated that Safeway, we'd all be in for one hell of a long work day. Our 9-5 would turn into an 8-7, all because everyone would feel like they deserved special treatment.

Rules are rules. Hours are hours. Follow them, or find somewhere else to shop.

Last edited:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Am I an asshole because I just got done with a ride after 8pm and I wanted something to eat?

It is easy to tell people to piss off, but Safeway is not going to be hurt by the loss of my business. If you are running a bike shop, are you positive that losing my business is not going to hurt yours?
No you're an asshole because you went in to a store, after the counter was closed and instead of saying "oh ok, I'll get here earlier next time" and then finding food on a ****ing shelf, you complained to a manager. They are store hours for a ****ing reason.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Dude, don't even go there. That's a completely different scenario.

You walked into a STILL OPEN grocery store. You had your mind on chicken salad, and you refused to leave with a different food selection, so you acted like a d*ck.

The rest of the store was open, and in America, and in a Safeway of all places, your options for food are limitless. You could have had something else and probably been perfectly content with something else. But you became self absorbed, thinking if only for a moment, that you were special, and that your desire for chicken salad was more important than following the rules (rules being store hours which, day-in and day-out, are posted on the door or the food counter). Just because you had a sense of entitlement doesn't mean the kid was in the wrong and you were in the right.

"The customer is always right" is a courtesy that customer's who are nice should be afforded. Not every customer who thinks they deserve the "above and beyond" treatment. Call that discrimination, but we all discriminate against those who aren't nice to us, versus those who are. If a customer comes in late one day, but is very appreciative, I'll happily let him in the store late the next time he/shes comes around. But if they're a dick about it, the next time they show up late, I'll happily point to the sign, and shine them on.

If everyone treated every food establishment/retail chain like you treated that Safeway, we'd all be in for one hell of a long work day. Our 9-5 would turn into an 8-7, all because everyone would feel like they deserved special treatment.

Rules are rules. Hours are hours. Follow them, or find somewhere else to shop.
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
But who knows what is the reason why customers can be aholes. Recently, I went to a Safeway deli counter about 30 minutes after the counter closed. I was craving chicken salad and the tray was still sitting in the front counter right underneath the scale.

I asked the kid running the counter to help me and he told me asininely, "Counter is closed". I didn't like his attitude, so I complained for 5 minutes to his manager until he helped me. It took a total of 10 seconds for him to serve me a container of chicken salad.
No one was currently eating the chicken salad and it wasn't locked up. You should have stole it and given it to Toshi. THEN we'd have a thread.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I seriously need to find these big stores you are talking about. We use Wal-Mart gift cards as an incentive for signing up for our program. Once a week I am in the same ****ing wal-mart buying 1000$ worth of gift cards. It's a pain in the ass. I have to pay with checks from the organization that fund us and I need $1000 worth of $25 dollar gift cards. Each one has to be scanned individually, and I can only put 250 bucks on each check so 4 checks have to be run. The whole process takes about 30 minutes. Every person that I deal with acts like i am the biggest ****ing bitch for wasting their time even though I am spending 4000 bucks a month there.

So i guess you could say that the customer service is consistent, consistently bad.
I guess you are being an asshole for making these poor clerks work harder.

Instead of bringing $250 checks, why don't you bring a check which makes it easier for these hard working, $12 a hour clerks?

I've been to a lot of Walmarts and they are extremely nice people. There is a reason why you pissed off these people, and you should try to figure out why.

Or maybe you'll realize that my simple request for deli service was not that hard to do and made me very happy when it was done. And then your simple request for nicer service will seem much more reasonable.

Last edited:

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
made me very happy when it was done.
[/I]
Well that's the most important thing isn't it?

It doesn't matter at all that you probably made it a ****tier day for both the clerk you got in trouble and the manager who had to deal with both him and you.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well that's the most important thing isn't it?

It doesn't matter at all that you probably made it a ****tier day for both the clerk you got in trouble and the manager who had to deal with both him and you.
My happiness actually mattered to me quite a bit. And I purposely complained because 1. the kid was a dick to me right off the bat, and 2. I wasn't asking for something hard or unreasonable.

Hell, I could have scooped a container and printed a label myself. It was also right of me.

The point that I was trying to bring up is simply this: no one can be absolutely sure what the motives are of a customer who seems like an asshole. I try to deal fairly with anyone with a reasonable request, no matter how unpleasant they might be about it.

I brought up my stupid chicken salad story to mention how I was tired from a ride and I wanted this kid to cut me a damn break and help me for 10 seconds.

And I never mentioned in my defense how I stay after closing to build race bikes or keep commuters on the road because I feel it is my duty to help people if they need it. I know my good nature and service to others has nothing to do with anyone else.

Last edited:

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
My happiness actually mattered to me quite a bit. And I purposely complained because 1. the kid was a dick to me right off the bat, and 2. I wasn't asking for something hard or unreasonable.

Hell, I could have scooped a container and printed a label myself. It was also right of me.

The point that I was trying to bring up is simply this: no one can be absolutely sure what the motives are of a customer who seems like an asshole.

I bought up my stupid chicken salad story to mention how I was tired from a ride and I wanted this kid to cut me a damn break and help me for 10 seconds.

And I never mentioned in my defense how I stay after closing to build race bikes or keep commuters on the road because I feel it is my duty to help people if they need it. I know my good nature and service to others has nothing to do with anyone else.
Granted. But you see you bringing up the chicken salad story completely backfired because you actually were the asshole in this story. You're the guy who went to a closed part of the store and asked to be open just for you. Your motives don't matter.

Does this mean you're always an asshole? No. But you were this time.

Oh yeah, and thanks for proving my point for me by reiterating how important is was to you that you were happy.

Man, at least DirtMcGirt is good at arguing.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I guess you are being an asshole for making these poor clerks work harder.

Instead of bringing $250 checks, why don't you bring a check which makes it easier for these hard working, $12 a hour clerks?

I've been to a lot of Walmarts and they are extremely nice people. There is a reason why you pissed off these people, and you should try to figure out why.

Or maybe you'll realize that my simple request for deli service was not that hard to do and made me very happy when it was done. And then your simple request for nicer service will seem much more reasonable.

uh, when Laura was in the store THEY WERE STILL OPEN...how can you even compare her situation to yours???...D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Granted. But you see you bringing up the chicken salad story completely backfired because you actually were the asshole in this story. You're the guy who went to a closed part of the store and asked to be open just for you. Your motives don't matter.

Does this mean you're always an asshole? No. But you were this time.

Oh yeah, and thanks for proving my point for me by reiterating how important is was to you that you were happy.

Man, at least DirtMcGirt is good at arguing.

My request was reasonable because it took 10 seconds. Would you have helped me, especially when I asked very nicely?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My request was reasonable because it took 10 seconds. Would you have helped me, especially when I asked very nicely?
People are just blind to the ways of the majority of the world Sanj. In most places, the mere chance to work extra hours serving chicken salad to willing buyers would be high in demand. People actually "complain" about working extra.... amazing. The way this country seems like it's headed, some might be wishing they could find work at all.

By the way, you seem like a fair guy. You're definitely in the running for RM's top Asian.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
uh, when Laura was in the store THEY WERE STILL OPEN...how can you even compare her situation to yours???...D
It is easy. She must be an asshole because these very nice clerks have a problem with her request.

Frankly, I am just playing devil's advocate. Her purchase for gift cards, while somewhat complicated, seems reasonable to me, especially given the amount. If the clerks have a problem with that, that's their problem, not Laura's.

However, she is going to Wal-mart when $4k may not seem like much to them and service is not going to be as good as if you spent 4k in a bike shop.

I think Laura should do whatever she needs to get treated better, even if these clerks are going to complain what an asshole she is. Because her request seems reasonable and at the end of day, I would think Laura's happiness is more important to Laura than some clerks she deals with for 30 minutes a month.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
People are just blind to the ways of the majority of the world Sanj. In most places, the mere chance to work extra hours serving chicken salad to willing buyers would be high in demand. People actually "complain" about working extra.... amazing. The way this country seems like it's headed, some might be wishing they could find work at all.

By the way, you seem like a fair guy. You're definitely in the running for RM's top Asian.

although I agree with you somewhat...some douche coming in after I'm closed and demanding service just keeps me from getting back home to my family sooner...and for me my family comes before anything...sometimes it's hard to see things from the other persons viewpoint..D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
although I agree with you somewhat...some douche coming in after I'm closed and demanding service just keeps me from getting back home to my family sooner...and for me my family comes before anything...sometimes it's hard to see things from the other persons viewpoint..D
I just feel like, if people really took pride in what they did for a career, leaving customers dissatisfied when doing the opposite would only require minimal time/effort, should be seen a personal failure. If you don't take pride in what you do, you don't have much self respect.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I will tell you my favorite story about refusing service after closing:

It was 30 minutes after closing and everyone wants to go home. Someone calls and I regrettably pick up the phone. This person does not know how to use his pump with presta valves, and I try to explain how to flip over the internals inside the pump head, which is falling on deaf ears on the other side of this conversation.

Everyone in the shop is staring at me while I am on the phone, particularly my boss who wants to lock up, so I try to wrap this conversation up:

"Ok, so you don't understand what I am saying about pump heads. What pump did you buy?"

"Oh, I got this pump from Target..."

"You bought a pump from Target and you want me to explain how to use it? Bwhahahaaha!"

And I hung up and went home.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I just feel like, if people really took pride in what they did for a career, leaving customers dissatisfied when doing the opposite would only require minimal time/effort, should be seen a personal failure. If you don't take pride in what you do, you don't have much self respect.
I agree 100%...to me a persons work ethic is a direct reflection of who they are. In all honesty if Sanj had come to the grocery store where I work I most likely would have made sure he was served...but I still think what he did was wrong...D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I agree 100%...to me a persons work ethic is a direct reflection of who they are. In all honesty if Sanj had come to the grocery store where I work I most likely would have made sure he was served...but I still think what he did was wrong...D
Well, that's a good question: if someone in the service industry treats you like crap, should you complain? Or at least complain until you get helped?

Obviously, I like confrontation and it doesn't bother me that the Safeway staff thinks I am an asshole.

I told this story at the health foods/grocery in my neighborhood to the clerks, who I know by name. Their service is great because they have helped me at closing time, which is when I am free to do my shopping because of my after-work cycling.

They laughed of course, because they know I don't ask for anything ridiculous or unreasonable ever.

But this grocery is a local business which has an environment of better service than Safeway.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I wouldn't disagree. I gave that kid a ton of crap but in my nice voice so it really confused him.

If someone came in and asked me for a 700x23 long stem presta tube, I would be glad to get it for them. I would like to think my request at Safeway was the same.

If someone came in after closing and wanted to browse bikes, then I would tell them to leave. I would think it would be the same if I asked to sample several dishes before deciding which one to purchase.
hypocrite much?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
hypocrite much?
Browsing for bikes takes several minutes, which makes my life difficult if I have to close the shop and give you my undivided attention.

Serving me chicken salad took 10 seconds.

FTW!

P.S. I have sold several bikes after closing which took less than 5 minutes to complete. They knew what they wanted before they even walked inside. I was happy to help them.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What would have been really funny is if the deli kid could not serve you the chicken salad because it had gone bad, and you got your way and a nice case of food poisoning to go along with it.

People who have worked in the food service industry would never demand that they be served 30 min. after the deli had closed. The next time you go back there, expect a toe nail or some bodily fluid in your precious, goddamn, fvckin yard bird salad.

If you like confrontation so much go milk a bull.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Browsing for bikes takes several minutes, which makes my life difficult if I have to close the shop and give you my undivided attention.

FTW!

P.S. I have sold several bikes after closing which took less than 5 minutes to complete. They knew what they wanted before they even walked inside. I was happy to help them.
So you're saying it can go either way as long as the time needed is acceptable by you for either situation?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Browsing for bikes takes several minutes.

FTW!

If you're God's Gift To Retail, go get work as a consultant to Safeway so they can improve customer service.

Until then stop worrying that other stores don't hire employees that live up to your standards.

The kid was apathetic, you were a dick. It was a doomed exchange from the get go.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That is the whole point of this thread!
So you're admitting you're self-centered? The "10 seconds" the kid had to take to get your salad could be just as important to him as the 10 minutes of your time it takes someone at your shop to browse bikes is to you. It's all relative, and only the person taking their personal time to help someone (mind you time that they aren't obligated to take) knows what that time is worth.

For all you know, the kid could have been covering for someone else and already been there hours longer than he was supposed to be, and could be late/almost late to something. Point is you don't know, nor have the decency or common sense to think like that and be passive.

Last edited:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The next time you go back there, expect a toe nail or some bodily fluid in your precious, goddamn, fvckin yard bird salad.

sad but true...and don't think that kid didn't tell everyone else about you too...I bet they're just counting the days until Sanj comes back in....D