Quantcast

Yes, we closed 5 minutes ago, but can I help you quickly???

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So you're admitting you're self-centered? The "10 seconds" the kid had to take to get your salad could be just as important to him as the 10 minutes of your time it takes someone at your shop to browse bikes is to you. It's all relative, and only the person taking their personal time to help someone (mind you time that they aren't obligated to take) knows what that time is worth.

For all you know, the kid could have been covering for someone else and already been there hours longer than he was supposed to be, and could be late/almost late to something. Point is you don't know, nor have the decency or common sense to think like that and be passive.
I did talk with manager about this and he explained the hours and work they did.

And don't forget, I stay late all the time, so I actually do know.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Loco, I didn't read this thread and know you're a whiner for the most part, but you work in the service industry. I understand you work with the random public which is something I could never do with my personality, so I give you credit and realize we need to vent. I do it here myself many times.

I'm saying that to say this: I walked into my LBS several years ago when I decided to ride again and knowing nothing of all of the advances the cycling industry had accomplished, the owner took his time to explain things, show me new and cool sh1t and work late to finish a build time and time again. I made friends with some of the wrenches, partied, rode and most importantly; spent fuggin money in the shop.

I'm good for the biking world in large part because he took the time to groom me to want new and cool components, frames, etc. Hell, even hanging out at the shop is cool while I'm buying breakfast burritos or beer for the wrenches in return for great service.

I can't hardly wait to buy my 11th bike from that shop soon.

:cheers:

Last edited:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I guess you are being an asshole for making these poor clerks work harder.

Instead of bringing $250 checks, why don't you bring a check which makes it easier for these hard working, $12 a hour clerks?

Or maybe you'll realize that my simple request for deli service was not that hard to do and made me very happy when it was done. And then your simple request for nicer service will seem much more reasonable.
Well now we are getting somewhere. You seem to have an issue with respecting other people because they wear an apron or work behind a counter.

Perhaps wal-mart should change their policy to allow me to put more than $250 worth of cards on a check. Believe me, I'd love to make the transaction easier for everyone involved. But we weren't talking about making people work harder were we? It's not as if I am going into a wal-mart 10 minutes after they've closed to demand someone to run the transaction for me.

Your argument is bunk dude. What it boils down to is in the grand scheme of things everything in life takes energy. And you choose where to put your energy. And whether you like it or not, your energy effects everyone you come in contact with. You were willing to put as much negative energy as you could into getting your piddly ass chicken salad. And your "happiness" ****ed up someone else's night. So was it worth it? In my opinion not. In my opinion it'd have been more worth it to let the deli counter close smoothly and find something else for myself to eat. But I'm not an asshole.

Last edited:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
people are strange I had a typical yuppie come in at 2 in the afternoon , looking for a Marin Highway one. He saw the carbon version and fell in love. He continue to add on different stuff..waterbottle cage, carbon risers pedals etc. he weighed each and every item to see the lightest he can make it. Then he asks me if a baby seat would fit. he finally picks everything out , after test riding the bike at least 20 times and decides to go for it. It is now 6pm, we are closing and he knows this since the junior mechanic is vacumming... the bike is finished by 6:20..all ready to go and he asks if he could try the other handlebars on it to see how it feels... man did I want to strangle him

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
people are strange I had a typical yuppie come in at 2 in the afternoon , looking for a Marin Highway one. He saw the carbon version and fell in love. He continue to add on different stuff..waterbottle cage, carbon risers pedals etc. he weighed each and every item to see the lightest he can make it. Then he asks me if a baby seat would fit. he finally picks everything out , after test riding the bike at least 20 times and decides to go for it. It is now 6pm, we are closing and he knows this since the junior mechanic is vacumming... the bike is finished by 6:20..all ready to go and he asks if he could try the other handlebars on it to see how it feels... man did I want to strangle him
That's a sales failure not a customer failure. You need to learn how to move a customer along.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
9 to 5 is a ****ing classic. Dolly Parton, now that's a feminist I can relate to.
My HS chem teacher did a ridiculous punk cover of that song with his band when he was in college. :rofl:

I don't see a problem with the "asshole tax." We do it at the shop to some degree. If someone's being extra friendly and reasonable, we'll give out an occasional free tube, or round some prices down, or go out of our way to help them out. If someone's being a douche, we'll round prices up a little. True story: a guy comes into the shop half an hour after closing with one of the Trek USPS edition TT bikes. My boss was in the shop doing some repairs. The guy reads the sign on the door with the hours, then walks in anyway, and starts asking for stuff without checking to see if the shop is open. He announced that he was leaving the next morning for a race, and that he wanted his rear derailleur cable changed. My boss said that the shop was closed, and asked him to leave. He argued the point. I'd have said no, but my boss agreed to drop what he was doing, and do the cable on the spot. He swapped it out, and proceeded to charge the guy $120 for the service. Granted the frame did have internal cable routing with no liner to guide the cable through, so it was a royal PITA to do, but that's literally an order of magnitude more than we'd typically charge.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My small business fantasy: I will make money by selling people things I want them to buy, these people will lower their service expectations to meet the level I am capable of providing and they will do this during the times that are most convenient to me. :) :) :)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My small business fantasy: I will make money by selling people things I want them to buy, these people will lower their service expectations to meet the level I am capable of providing and they will do this during the times that are most convenient to me. :) :) :)
:rofl:

I think there's a middle ground that should be met. Businesses need to provide good service in order to maintain a customer base. However, that dosn't mean that a shop needs to bend over backwards to suit a customer's unreasonable demands. Expecting that a shop stop working on bikes that were dropped off before yours is unreasonable. Expecting someone to be free to work on your bike at a moment's notice is unreasonable. Asking a shop employee to stay more than a few minutes after closing time to help you out, when you couldn't be bothered to show up during shop hours is unreasonable.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
You gotta live your dreams man.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Not So Sweet Toothed
Grocery Store | Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(The bakery had just closed. I had clocked out, and was on my way out of the store.)

Lady: “Excuse me, could you decorate this cake for me?”

Me: “I’m sorry ma’am. My shift is over, and the bakery is closed.”

Lady: “But I need it done for tomorrow! If you don’t do it, I’ll call your manager!”

Me: “Ma’am, what do you do for a living?”

Lady: “I’m a dentist…”

Me: “Would you like to look at my teeth after your shift ends, for free?”

Lady: “That’s different. My job is hard. Anyone could do your job.”

Me: “Then you won’t mind taking that cake home and decorating it yourself.”

Found ths apropriate to the thread... from www.notalwaysright.com

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not So Sweet Toothed
(The bakery had just closed. I had clocked out, and was on my way out of the store.)

Lady: “But I need it done for tomorrow! If you don’t do it, I’ll call your manager!”

:clapping: :clapping:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Not So Sweet Toothed

I like it, but it should say "you can do a partial reconstruction on the part that I don't shove up your ass, cunt". That is a little more succinct.