Quantcast

Yet 1 more newbie thread

silent bob

Chimp
Jul 31, 2011
OK I have been looking between here and another forum where they are a bunch of snobs , so here it goes
Got a bike , started riding a trk 820 ( 6+yrs old ) still has 1" steer tube , if that says anything.And too much cost to upgrade anything really cuz its all outdated stuff .By the time I put a front suspension on it and rapid shifters , fix the derailer and brakes , I am half way to a semi more decent bike that is fairly current.
I see so much out there Front suspension (FS ?)DownHill (DH) AM? still trying to get it all straight .
I want to buy something new , and the main purpose is going to be bike path to school ( friggen gas prices ) , but I also want to jump some stuff in the woods , kinda a sweet track out there.
So I am thinking a Full suspension is OUT , cuz no real downhill around here unless it has lockout for rear . then I may consider if good for jumping dirt mounds in the woods.
I hear 29ers are the newest latest greatest , but I am 5'7" so 29ers are not good for shorter people ( no bashing please) . Is stand over still something to be concerned with?
The hardtails I see now all pretty much come with front suspension so I guess that will be a minimum requirement .Lockouts prefered but not nessesary .
I have been looking at bikesdirect,JensonUSA, and Airborn bicycles , and are teh cost effective bikes really cost effective as a first mtb? cost effective = >500.
I have been looking in some Classifieds and craigslist ( Ebay people are on crack mostly about pricing" I paid 200 and only used it 3 months so 195 plus 15 dollars shipping" )
I hope I gave you enuff info on what I have read and reason for riding
anything over $700 dont even bother posting cuz I will not even look at .Sorry for being honest and blunt but anyone can recommend a $1000 bike

silent bob

Chimp
Jul 31, 2011
What are the advantages of FS?

Well pulled the trigger on a full sqush with lockouts from bikesdirect , cant wait til it gets here!!!

Last edited: