Quantcast

Yet another rim thread....

oxman

Chimp
Jul 2, 2007
So I recently picked up a new dj bike, the eastern traildigger 26. While i'll be the first to admit its nothing special, it is a vast improvement over my old p.1 as far as i am concerned. Also it didn't hurt that my lbs made it happen for $250:D. Anyway, it features 100mm spacing in the rear and it is unable to support disc brakes (totally cool with me, its a park,street machine, no discs to annihilate). As a result I am running into problems finding a rim to build on that is strong as hell and is rim brake compatible. At the moment my only options seem to be the Rhino lite and Rhino lite xl. These rims appear to satisfy my needs, but I still wanted to consult the collective here, does anyone have any word on these rims? are there other rims that I have missed and should consider?

The goal here is to build a stout wheelset based around profile hubs (bling), also for reference to strength requirements; I am a big guy 6'4" @ 215 lbs. despite my size I am a fairly smooth rider, but you know how casing a jump can sneak up on a guy.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
kinda off the topic of your question.... but a guy here at the trails got an Eastern Traildigger 26 (2008) and the first thing i noticed was that the bars are too low.

i hooked him up with some regular height cruiser bars (DK stock, roughly 5.25" rise) and the bike rode WAY better. i don't know why they put such tiny bars on that bike. 2" rise bars work well with suspension or suspension-corrected rigid, not with regular rigid.

oxman

Chimp
Jul 2, 2007
indeed you are right, im actually riding those very bars (dk stock cruiser bars) they really bring the bike to life. The only thing that really disappoints me about this bike is the lack of tire/foot clearance. I love the way it rides though so I am loath to get a suspension corrected fork for fear of changing the geo.

Back to topic, How 'bout them rims?

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
I'm pretty sure Mavic Ex 721s are compatible with rim brakes. They are strong enough for my 215 lb ass, so they should be strong enough for you too.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
rhyno XLs work great for me, but if you are riding heavy street, you probably want something stronger than those or the Mavic 721s.

-rob