Quantcast

Yet another Whistler double black gets easier...

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
If you have never attempted the ladder drop, within the first few corners of detroit rock city, purely because of the sketch factor of the rocky terrain that follows, now you have no excuse. The rocks have been cleared out, and in its place, a smooth, more flowy transition, from the drop. After riding it, I agree that it is more flowy, and alot easier, however in a way I am dissapointed, as it was one of the few spots on the mountain that really got the heart rate up.
I rode with the gentleman responsible for the changes, and the reasoning, is to make it safer, more flowy and to create less erosion.
The same thing has been done on the rock section of Schleyer, just before the ladder drop, and for the same reasoning.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
what was so bad about the rocks leading into the ladder drop on schlayer.....they wern't that bad

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
wow.... that rock section on schleyer was fun... cant believe they cleared it out

is this recent because i was just up for 4 days over the 4th of July and it seemed to be intact...

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I too was disappointed in both Det. Rock City and Schleyer. I'm just wondering when they are going to bring the paving machine and just finish them off:mumble: .

While there is still very challenging stuff left on the other lower dbl-blacks, I'm also wondering at what point are they going to downgrade Schleyer to a single-diamond?:rolleyes:

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Netguy said:
I rode with the gentleman responsible for the changes....
Was it Tom? I spoke with him last year and he would not admit to dumbing down trails being a result of insurance/liability issues. Only a trail worker would fess up to the real reason.:redhot:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Slider said:
sounds like whistler is getting "americanized". Law suits are BS
More like an "A-line -ization" of the trails. Which is close to alienation which is happening to me with all the "A-line" type mods to the trails. I can go anywhere and find jumps, but where do you find long, gnarly DH runs locally? That is/was my draw to Whistler. If they keep going in that direction I won't have any inclination to head that way.
But I also understand that all anyone ever talks about on the boards is A-line, Dirt Merchant, and now Freight Train I guess too. If thats what the masses want, then thats what they'll build.
Wonder if I sell my DH and bought a new four-stroker if I could find enough trails locally to keep me happy...

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
scbiker06 said:
hey i didn't notice anything different on schleyer.. but i dont know. what was the change.
On upper Schleyer....
....above the wood ramp that drops you below the chairlift
...along the rock ridge when you are side-by-side with upper Joyride.....

You can now stay to the right to the (almost) end of the ridge and there is basically a cobble stone path into the now filled in right hander.

Hope that the description makes sense.:mumble:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
trailhacker said:
More like an "A-line -ization" of the trails. Which is close to alienation which is happening to me with all the "A-line" type mods to the trails.
For sure, like Heart of Darkness.....it used to have some roots and almost be single track. Now it's as wide as a jeep trail with step ups:rolleyes:

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
It was actually Peter doing all the work. I guess he is a Whistler legend up here. He has to be in his 60's, and still rides DH. You cant miss him. He is the only guy on the mountain with bar ends. I rode with him last week, and he had a very bad accident, in which he was unconscious for about 5 minutes. Hope he is doing ok.

Very nice guy though, and from what he was saying, the main push behind the work, is to stop erosion.

But yes, the section on Detroit just got alot easier, however after riding it a bunch of times, its still a bunch of fun, as you can hit it with some speed now.

Hopefully everybody has hit the new section of Freight Train, starting with the step-up to the container. Too much fun.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
Netguy said:
If you have never attempted the ladder drop, within the first few corners of detroit rock city, purely because of the sketch factor of the rocky terrain that follows, now you have no excuse. The rocks have been cleared out, and in its place, a smooth, more flowy transition, from the drop. After riding it, I agree that it is more flowy, and alot easier, however in a way I am dissapointed, as it was one of the few spots on the mountain that really got the heart rate up.
I rode with the gentleman responsible for the changes, and the reasoning, is to make it safer, more flowy and to create less erosion.
The same thing has been done on the rock section of Schleyer, just before the ladder drop, and for the same reasoning.

yeah dude that same thing happened to one of my favorite trails a descent was all smoothed out there used to be a sweet root drop and it was all sketchy 'n all but now it been smoothed out. pfft. :mumble:

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Do you know when they changed that on Rock City to be smoother?

I actually dislocated my finger on that very section. I had ridden it one time before that day, fine. But when I did it that time I was riding with someone who was hauling ass, and basically forgot to slow down. The end result was not really turning afterwards going OTB and hitting a rock dead on with my finger.

It does suck, though. I was looking forward to going back later this year and pinning that section.

Rock City/Schleyer are/were two of the more difficult, rocky trails on the mountain and were actually mountain bike trails. Now they're changing everything to downhill BMX tracks.