Quantcast

Yeti 303 DH LIVES!!!

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
James | Go-Ride said:
Actually you can tell if a bike will be progressive based on a drawing, it's not very difficult (although with this particular bike, I do think having an engineering background would help a bit). With a regular bike, it's pretty easy to tell whether or not the bike is going to be progressive, whatever link / member drives the shock will give it away pretty easily. If the link that pushes the shock starts at an acute angle to the shock, and the shock bottoms at or before 90' to the link, that's a pretty good indicator that the bike will be progressive.

However, with this bike, you don't really have that rule-of-thumb guideline to figure it out. Like Krispy mentioned, it has to do with shaft speed which is less determinable without a workign prototype to the untrained mind.
No way, i see pictures i know what I see. Just because you have spoken to yeti and have more information than me in no way makes you more qualified than me to talk about the design and all it's obvious flaws(so do you need a deposit now?) :D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Damn True said:
Which dosen't sound like a rearward axle path and dosen't seem to reflect what Yeti is saying which profoundly illustrates my point that NONE of us is able to tell what or how this thing will perform by looking at a drawing.
What's up with the font? You certainly can tell from looking at the picture that it will be more progressive than not, an exhaustive explanation wouldn't be worth my time as you're so dead set on disagreeing though.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm surprised we haven't heard from dw on this... usually he is happy to contribute to engineering discussions, even when they are not about his designs. Maybe this work of art left him speechless? :p

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Ok, this is my take on the axle path.
red lines - is axle path as far as mid stroke.
yellow lines - are just to show how the swingarm actually swings from pointing down to level at mid stroke. (rearward axle path)
gray line - is my thought on the last 3" of travel when the upper rail moves rapidly forward.

Start discussion/bashing/agreeing/yada yada.......

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
math2014 said:
so ok interesting design, what i dont get is what it wrong with pivors and now we got rails?
Hey, that's the way marketing works. You always need something new and different.

Now, nobody flame me - obviously, none of us really know how well this will work, and maybe it'll be fantastic. But there's no denying that a lot of these will sell based on the fact that, hey, man, it's got rails!

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
binary visions said:
Hey, that's the way marketing works. You always need something new and different.

Now, nobody flame me - obviously, none of us really know how well this will work, and maybe it'll be fantastic. But there's no denying that a lot of these will sell based on the fact that, hey, man, it's got rails!
Word, BV,

day by day you grow wiser, and i am not joking... this may prove to be a terrific bike, so far it is hype....

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
I am pretty sure Yeti have been working alot with this project. I guess all the "problems" people are talking about here, are solved a long time ago. I also think they have been testing real life proto's for a long time, and it works good. When they finally decided to produce the $hit, it WORKS, of cource!!!! Nobody knows much about durability in the long run, with all kind of abuse done by all kind of DH punks.

Personally, I think it looks cool.

E

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
This bike may ride like a jet-powered barca-lounger for all I know... but readiung things like "negates pedalling and braking forces because they're perpendicular to main rail" makes me want to kick puppies.

That load of bunk means either the engineer didn't know what he was doing, the marketer didn't know what the engineer was doing, or nobody knew what they were doing, and you're looking at another piece of trial-and-error, make-it-look-cool-and-then-let-pro-riders-adjust-the-geometry bicycle design.

This bike has pivots just like any other bike. This bike has an axle path just like any other bike. This bike has instant centers just like any other bike. Pedalling and braking will influence it. I don't know if it will be in a good way or a bad way, but in SOME way.

(here's a little engineering esoterica for you: it also happens to be a 4-bar...)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ohio said:
This bike may ride like a jet-powered barca-lounger for all I know... but readiung things like "negates pedalling and braking forces because they're perpendicular to main rail" makes me want to kick puppies.
Kind of reminds of of specialized............. :rolleyes: I like the bikes but can sit there climbing, watching my shock move around on smooth uphills...regardless of where the arrows point on the schematic drawings..

ohio said:
(here's a little engineering esoterica for you: it also happens to be a 4-bar...)
Looks to me like someone took some notes looking at the marin funky 4 bars that came out a while ago and just found a neater way to do it.

I still want to hear the sound of those tracks when riding the thing. Filing cabinet analogies may have some merit.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
ohio said:

That load of bunk means either the engineer didn't know what he was doing, the marketer didn't know what the engineer was doing, or nobody knew what they were doing, and you're looking at another piece of trial-and-error, make-it-look-cool-and-then-let-pro-riders-adjust-the-geometry bicycle design.

This bike has pivots just like any other bike. This bike has an axle path just like any other bike. This bike has instant centers just like any other bike. Pedalling and braking will influence it. I don't know if it will be in a good way or a bad way, but in SOME way.

Thank you for saying that this bike has pivots. I ended up not posting something that I typed earlier regarding doing bad things to kittens if anyone else said something about this bike having no pivots.

Actually, if you want to be really anal we could say that all these four-bars, including the Yeti, are 6-bars (the shock body and shaft are 2 links :nuts: )

Now, if this bike had about 50 speed-holes ala Nicolai, then we would be looking at the best bike ever.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
kidwoo said:
What did I do to get on your "ignore" list? :eviltongu :)
Haha

It's just that when you have the infamous Professor Robert L. Norton teaching you Kinematics through the books that he wrote and computer programs he designed, you begin to look at trivial and stupid things like bike suspension in a different way :p

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
ohio said:

The travel where you will be pedaling it lenghtens the chain. I.Ei chain pull, pedal kickback. that is ok in moderation. but you will feel the suspention move through the chain. like a orange, mabey less.

seems like a lot of work for about the same axle path as a mid-high pivot.

i think it is a selling point. and the way you guys are reacting they will be thrilled. :rolleyes:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Inclag said:
Haha

It's just that when you have the infamous Professor Robert L. Norton teaching you Kinematics through the books that he wrote and computer programs he designed, you begin to look at trivial and stupid things like bike suspension in a different way :p
Given, my kinematics studies involved only chemicals, but even I could see little round things on the drawings that looked like they rotate. :p

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Damn True said:
I think I understand what you are saying, but I can't help wondering if it is beer 30 there.
don't drink, but............ i am super tierd :dead:

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
ohio said:

Exactly, and of course the first thing I'm gonna do at Interbike is take a look and figure out how to put a floater on it!!! That'll sure piss someone off!! (and the new IH, too)

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Hrm... how does it cope with sand?
Sure, mills slide on rails, that scrape the chips out of the way. But metal chips don't crush and become smaller and abrasive and more likely to get in gaps like sand does.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Yes, I can see the rail chipping or something getting on the way of the rail. This would mean (if it was compressing) it would stop suddenly and dissipate a hell of a lot of energy through the frame. Not to mention some extreme ball crushing action.
Me thinks it could become high maintenance (especially dirty, sandy, muddy places).
Just that little piece of abrasive material could bring your frames life (and your sex life) to an abrupt end...
On this kind of complicated design it is very hard to cover all bases and possible situations.

Just speculation though.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
All of this discussion of the problems with exposed sliding surfaces is interesting and could be a problem. Your fork faces a similar situation and avoids damage with a simple wiper. I wonder if they have something similar in mind?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Threepointtwo said:
All of this discussion of the problems with exposed sliding surfaces is interesting and could be a problem. Your fork faces a similar situation and avoids damage with a simple wiper. I wonder if they have something similar in mind?
Well, from what I know about the rail design (not on the bike, but that kind of rail design in general), there are wipers on them.

However, the linkages will be much more prone getting mud and schit thrown up onto them from the tires. Think about what your rear linkage looks like after a muddy DH run compared to your fork.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
binary visions said:
Well, from what I know about the rail design (not on the bike, but that kind of rail design in general), there are wipers on them.

However, the linkages will be much more prone getting mud and schit thrown up onto them from the tires. Think about what your rear linkage looks like after a muddy DH run compared to your fork.
Then think about what the shaft of your rear shock looks like. The shock is completely covered with mud, but the shaft is nice and shiny.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
Then think about what the shaft of your rear shock looks like. The shock is completely covered with mud, but the shaft is nice and shiny.
Yep, because there's some pretty good seals there. But the mud is going to be far less prone to collecting on the shaft surface because A) it's small, B) it's round, C) it's somewhat protected by the coil and D) the entirety of the shaft is never exposed once you sit on the bike - the shaft is constantly, at least partly in the shock body.

None of this applies to the rails.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I wonder if kids will be running alongside 303 riders attempting to put pennies on the rails? That could hurt a DH run.

Maybe they enclose the whole get-up?

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
After interbike I expect to see an entire website with hundreds of pictures dedicated to these rails. If you can get away with it, try throwing sand in them and cycling the suspension to see if you can **** it up.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
binary visions said:
D) the entirety of the shaft is never exposed once you sit on the bike - the shaft is constantly, at least partly in the shock body.

None of this applies to the rails.
Yeah right, if your wheels never leave the ground. Funny, but mine tend to do that when I'm riding :p