Quantcast

Yeti DH9 fork suggestions

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Finally got myself a DH9.I have an 2002 Boxxer on there right now but its pretty worked.Has a dent in one lower that will,from what i understand,keep me from replacing the bushings.Soooo...at this point i'm looking at a Slider Plus.What forks have you guys ran on a DH9?What would you choose and why?I'm 175 lb rider btw and ride in the east/south.Did a search and found nada,zip zilch.

Attachments

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I remember reading awhile back that the dh9 was built around a dorado and all the angles and such are right with one...

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Matt D said:
I've had both the Dorado and Slider+ on my DH9, and both felt fine.

I'm leaning towards the Slider Plus right now for obvious reasons$$$$$$$. The only other fork that i would put on there is a Shiver and thats just because i can get one from a bud for next to nothing.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
GravityFreakTJ said:
I'm leaning towards the Slider Plus right now for obvious reasons$$$$$$$. The only other fork that i would put on there is a Shiver and thats just because i can get one from a bud for next to nothing.
Last years slider pluses had issues... no idea about the new ones. I know there are some really good deals on last years boxxer teams out there.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Whatever you get...will you let me ride it at Windrock next Sunday? :D It sounds like you want a Slider, so i'd say go for it. It's a sweet fork that shouldn't change the geometry drastically from a Boxxer. BTW...what kind of rack is that? I've been looking for a tray rack for big bikes...is that a inch and a quarter hitch, or a two inch?

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
HRDTLBRO said:
Whatever you get...will you let me ride it at Windrock next Sunday? :D It sounds like you want a Slider, so i'd say go for it. It's a sweet fork that shouldn't change the geometry drastically from a Boxxer. BTW...what kind of rack is that? I've been looking for a tray rack for big bikes...is that a inch and a quarter hitch, or a two inch?

That rack is a Sarfis and has an extension that bolts on to hold 2 more bikes.But 4 dh bikes on a Corolla is a :nope:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Masse said:
I rode a DH-9 for 2 years. I had Shiver DC on it, and the angles were fine.
No they aren't. I ran a Shiver on mine and upgraded to a slider and that shorter fork makes the bike come alive.

:nopity:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I have an 8in 888 on mine, a little slack but not as bad as when I had the stock crowns! i would like to try a shorter fork but that costs $$.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
biker3 said:
good call, i loved mine on my gemini last year. BTW that bike is weak, u shoulda kept the gemini.

hopefully we can ride at windrock this summer.

yeah the Yeti is weak :eviltongu .yeah hope you can make it down.next weekend there will be a group of about 40 or so there shreddin'.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
my slider is great beside the fact there is zero small bump plush. i might as well have lego forks. so i called up manitou and asked them to warrenty me to tpc+ and they said only if you give us 200$ so i said F that and asked about other options.

they said they would change me to spv evolve for no cost do a complete rebuild and tune the spv for dh racing. so i said yes and its being done as we speak i should get the fork back in a week or so, so only then will i know if there have been major improvements.
but theres more i talked to my lbs and they said if the spv still isnt to my liking when i get my bike tuned up, there head mech guy will go and tweak it with the dremel tool to give some better small bump compliance while keeping the sweet feeling of the fork on larger hits so it will be spv evolve EVOLVED ;) hopefully this will work out and i will try and get the lodown on whats happening inside the forks and let you guys know of what you can do to tweak them.

personally i couldent be happier with the slider but it is just such a letdown that a fork advertised for downhill use isnt really that good at it. if the tweaks are done right i couldent see myself getting a new fork for quite some time though.

so finally dont buy them unless your gonna get spv evolve and do some fiddling with it

Masse

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
Finland
profro said:
No they aren't. I ran a Shiver on mine and upgraded to a slider and that shorter fork makes the bike come alive.

:nopity:
Sorry, I didn`t make my point clear enough... I meant that angles were fine - for a freight train. Really, I managed to drive it for 2 years, and here a bike with DH-9`s geometry really isn`t useful.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Those bikes are so flippin slack, Id have to recomend a '99 judy c lt. This will keep the handling crisp and the center of gravity way low, itll rail like awesome. Plus they are only like $30 so it would fit your budget.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I have run a DH9 with a Boxxer, Supet T, Dorado, and an '04 Slider +. My favorite was the Dorado. The angles were just right and it just felt the best. My second choice is the Slider. Like others have said, not much low speed sensitivity but great on the medium and big stuff. The Boxxer I had was an older one and just a crappy fork. I'm sure I would have had better results with the Super T if I took the time to set it up right but I'm not one for doing all the oil height stuff to get a fork to perform like it should in the first place. The Super was too tall for the DH9 besides.

I wouldn't hesitate to ride the Slider + again.