Quantcast

Yeti SB-66 (alloy) 2011 vs Cannondale Jekyll 2012 (carbon)

GTIgor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Hello!

I have narrowed my choice down to 2 bikes.

Can't test them. Probably will have a chance to test the Yeti.

So I need a bike for 2 locations:
1. Home riding:
Rolling terrain, flowing single-track, roots, moderate elevation (50-100m), lots of pedaling.
2. Vocations:
Big mountain riding, some shuttle runs to avoid climbing but lots of climbing too. Suped-D / Enduro races 2-4 times a season. All sorts of terrain here, single-track, super steep stuff, high speed fireroads/double-track, lots of rocky/rooty mess - normal big mountain riding as it is!

I ride pretty aggressively, consider myself pretty good rider, like to play with terrain, pumping everything possible on trail, popping on stuff and clearing natural gaps, railing corners really hard and so on - just as any AM rider with DH background would.

So I need one bike for both locations, I want the frame to be really stiff laterally.

The setup is going to be: fox 36 talas 2010, mavic 719 (I am light and don't mind changing rims once a year), 720mm bars, XC 2.1 tires for XC, 2.35 2ply tires for AM.

I am not sure yet if I can fit my fox 36 with 1 1/8 steer tube in the Jekyll. So I might consider some 1.5 fork - which one?

What I like about the Jekyll is the travel/geo adjust, seems perfect for my locations. But I heard the suspension is pretty wallow so the 90m option might not be significantly better pedaller then SB-66... But the geo adjust is a great option imo too especially with TALAS up front.

The SB-66 really conquers with its geo, I love long bikes, like 66HA for AM (and lower the front end for XC to get like 67.5HA). But it might be too sluggish, lazy and big for my XC riding...

The price for both frames is:
SB-66 $2300 (with shipping)
Jekyll $2000 (with is awesome for carbon imo!)

I have a Cannondale Prophet now, love the geo change option, but I lack frame stiffness on both XC and AM riding. Ideally I want a better bump absorption for AM and better pedalling for XC.

Most other bikes have short reach & TTT and are ugly :D

Which one would be better taking into account I might also buy Jekyll as a bike with fox32 if it is impossible to fit 1 1/8 or tapered steer fork.

Also the Cannondale will be available only by spring and the Yeti can be ordered pretty soon, like in two months.

Thanks!