Quantcast

Yo! EndurBrah's!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Yo! What's up bro? So I'm thinking of building the most RAD bike on 2 wheels that you've eva seen'd! I'mma need some help building up this tweaked out mofo!

So in reality I'm looking for tires. 27.5x2. 3-2.5 for a 165 travel bike. I'm not a racer, so when seconds count, I'll be there in a couple minutes. I'm looking for something on the knobby side for the back and medium aggressive for the front (unless there's a good f/r. Like a Nevigal!). I'm lost when it comes to DD vs exo vs trailstar etc... I'm also looking for something tacky that doesn't fall apart in one month and has sidewalls that don't rip easily. Still, I don't want a full on DH tire either.

While we're at it, rims. What's out there that's good? What width are you running? I looked at some carbon and some aluminum and I'm still not trusting carbon. Should I? Stans is too weird. 2.2 tire @37psi max. 2.5 tire @26psi max. Wtf? I may as well take the tire off at that point and ride the rim out. I recently built a Stans Flow mk3 and thought it was massively wide (29mm inside). But in seeing others @32-40mm.

Anyway, what's the new norm?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Michelin Wild Rock'R2 front, Maxxis DHR2 rear is my favorite all around tire setup. I run Maxxis Shortys in the winter here in Seattle, but they roll like shit and are kinda squirrly on hardpack. They really only make sense in soft conditions.

For rims, I really like the DT EX471. They're kinda expensive for aluminum, but they come with nipples (they say you need to use their special nipples for them, I haven't tried using normal ones so not sure how much that actually matters), but they're reasonably light, very stiff, build up well, work well tubeless, and hold up well. I've got a couple pairs of Enves too, which are great, but they're also crazy expensive. I wouldn't be able to justify it if I hadn't gotten a super good bro-deal on them.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Rims - I've been using WTB i25s the past two years, have some Easton ARC 30s coming tonight for running wider treads (2.5s) on the big bike. Both rims supposedly use the UST bead spec (but don't pay for the branding license).

Tires

-150/140 bike

--Summer: Spesh Butcher 2.3s, either Control or Grid casings depending on how rocky it is. Similar to a DHF but cheaper, good grip in the dry. Compound kinda sucks for cold&wet.

--Winter: Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.3 SS

- 180/170 bike

-- Dual ply DHF 2.5s for everything. Getting some 2.5 DHF WT DDs for climbing days.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
e13 TRS+ front / Slaughter GRID rear

The TRS+ is stellar in the front, the Slaughter has enough knobbies where you need them.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've been more than pleased with my ex500s...can only imagine the 471s are also legit, i roll hr2 2.4 rear dhf 2.5 front. both TR exo. tr snaps into place a lot better than non-tr. it's a good all-around combo for east coast dirt/rox. would try the dd casing for added stiffness. doesn't shed mud super well. if i switched the e13s and michelins would be my other choices.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Thought this was a decent review of some of the usual suspects -
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ridden-and-rated-six-tires-for-rugged-trails-2017.html

They left out the Wild Rock'r 2, which I've found to be the grippiest offering to date, although a bit portly and slow-ish rolling. I'm with HAB on the tire combo and rim suggestion, although my Stans Flow EX's have held up remarkably well (but they're nano sized and have pre-cambian period ID)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
DD or DH?
So, I will have two wheel sets this coming summer, one 'fast rolling', and one for dedicated shuttle/lift days. Should I go full bore DH, or would (Maxxis) DD be enough?
Thoughts?

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
So, I will have two wheel sets this coming summer, one 'fast rolling', and one for dedicated shuttle/lift days. Should I go full bore DH, or would (Maxxis) DD be enough?
Might as well go full DH for the shuttle set. It's not like you'll be pedaling them up anything is it? As for the 'fast rolling', I guess DD or something even lighter. Depends how gnarcore you are.