Quantcast

Yo Evil, where you at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
Not to polute the tech topic with my inquires about the frame delivery status will post here:

Where the heck are the frames, where are we delivery time wise and am I getting my damn frame this season because I haven't been on a bike since last year, already payed for my full spec bike and don't have money to buy another one while I wait.

I am on the verge of asking for my money back and getting something else, seriously :(

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
I hear something about frames being ready around the middle of August, can someone confirm any of this? Bike industry is in the crapper for most companies.... just when I decided to get a bike.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
How long ago did you put money on one and how long did they say it was going to be?

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
Payed in full for a full build bike back in April I think (don't remember exactly, maybe sooner), they said I would get it, worse case scenario, before my bday (may 18th)...

Being 28, just learning to ride DH bikes and missing out on such a great summer is very painful for me to be honest especially when there aren't many summers left for me that I can dedicate to this sport and I know people don't care about my feelings and drama but one of the reasons I got out of a mental ditch was riding my bike and it got me determined to get into shape and learn this new thing I could never do, even if I wanted it very badly as a kid but didn't have the means to. I absolutely love this frame and it means a lot to me but my patience has worn out and I'm looking for a solution to my problem before the month has ended.

This being said, I don't appreciate Evil Bikes reserve to give real, honest feedback on delivery dates and shame on them if they knew there was a possibility the bikes wouldn't be delivered until August and they kept it from us.

...just my 2 cents, sorry for the vent and rant.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Victor... side note

I noticed you are from Romania. Were do you usually ride? I was there a couple of times in Bucharest, and see a lot of peeps on downhill bikes riding at the parks... overkill but whatever works.

The country seems to be built for mountain biking. The mountains are insane. Minus the bears.:)

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
The mountains are absolutely awsome, not very tall but gorgeous and the weather is also very pleasant, warm and less rainy than most places people ride bikes. The main problem is, as usual, politics. Here only projects that help some corrupt people steal lots of money are approved thus most mountain entrepreneurs and resorts only complain they have close to 0 income during the summer but no one started building a bike-park, and boooy there are some great places with infrastructure already there where you could build not one but at least 5. There are so many enthusiast riders that I know for sure would give a hand for some lift tickets or just free on building stuff if only there was some support from the government and local politicians but everything and everyone gets shut down.

As a weird thing also, our cycling federation doesn't even recognize Downhill as a sport, thus, its almost impossible to get a UCI license here. Not that there aren't some very talented riders.

In Bucharest there are a lot of riders but there aren't any places close by where you can ride, they have to travel about 250km north to reach mountains but there are a lot of them in the middle of the country from every side you look :)

I live in Arad, very close to Hungary and there are some hills around where we build small stuff and practice a bit and go for Austria for more serious riding because its the closest and best place to ride from where I live, also traveling on Romanian roads is a pain most of the time, you clear 250 km on European roads in 3.5 - 5 hours normally...

Oh, even tho I had a very close encounter with a teddy bear and its mom when they stole my 30 days food reserve backpack and devoured it in very funny ways, I don't see them as a threat at all, the ones you will most probably see are used to people and if your not completely retarded and start to poke/slap/cuddle with them they will do you no harm, throw them some candy, behave as non-threatening as possible and your safe. Also always remember, animals where here first so we're trespassing ;)

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
The mountains are absolutely awsome, not very tall but gorgeous and the weather is also very pleasant, warm and less rainy than most places people ride bikes. The main problem is, as usual, politics. Here only projects that help some corrupt people steal lots of money are approved thus most mountain entrepreneurs and resorts only complain they have close to 0 income during the summer but no one started building a bike-park, and boooy there are some great places with infrastructure already there where you could build not one but at least 5. There are so many enthusiast riders that I know for sure would give a hand for some lift tickets or just free on building stuff if only there was some support from the government and local politicians but everything and everyone gets shut down.

As a weird thing also, our cycling federation doesn't even recognize Downhill as a sport, thus, its almost impossible to get a UCI license here. Not that there aren't some very talented riders.

In Bucharest there are a lot of riders but there aren't any places close by where you can ride, they have to travel about 250km north to reach mountains but there are a lot of them in the middle of the country from every side you look :)

I live in Arad, very close to Hungary and there are some hills around where we build small stuff and practice a bit and go for Austria for more serious riding because its the closest and best place to ride from where I live, also traveling on Romanian roads is a pain most of the time, you clear 250 km on European roads in 3.5 - 5 hours normally...

Oh, even tho I had a very close encounter with a teddy bear and its mom when they stole my 30 days food reserve backpack and devoured it in very funny ways, I don't see them as a threat at all, the ones you will most probably see are used to people and if your not completely retarded and start to poke/slap/cuddle with them they will do you no harm, throw them some candy, behave as non-threatening as possible and your safe. Also always remember, animals where here first so we're trespassing ;)

Yeah, thats a bummer to hear. I was wondering why there wasn't any Downhill bike parks in Romania, especially near Transilvania. You guys have the awesome mountains, gorgeous women :thumb::thumb::thumb:, all you guys need is the mountain biking.

I was considering bringing my bike over with me the next time I go to Bucharest

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Check out this thing called "Romaniacs". Extreme moto enduro competition through Romania and the Carpathian Mountains. Find a dirt bike to rent there or something and have some real fun.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
It's starting to get on my nerves to say the least. I've been waiting on my frame since september last year (warranty). I still ride my old frame most of the time even though the welds are cracked.

They are good with replying to emails but I just have a sneaking suspicion that there are more things in the works here than just a crappy factory (not something you would expect with the price of this frame...). Will the company survive with all these missed shipments?

Has anyone waited longer than me? Seriously?

I'm supposed to go to Whistler for a month but can't really book before I have a new frame since going there with a cracked frame is like going across the atlantic to ride a weekend since that's probably how long the frame will survive there.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wow, sounds like someone needs to take these guys to small claims court or something. These kind of delays are almost criminal.

Edit:
Srsly, IANAL, nor am I well informed as to the specifics of the situation, but some of this sounds like a serious violation of the warranty contract. Worth looking into at least.

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Have they made any frames this year? What is the official line from evil about the delays?
Yup, I know a few people that have gotten frames, but the factory is not even close to hitting the production marks that Evil ordered. It has to be frustrating when people want what you have to offer but the factory can't meet demand.

Dave

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Dude - getting to ride Whistler this year is more important than owning a particular frame, imho.
Buy, borrow or rent a different frame and sell the replacement Evil if it ever arrives.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yup, I know a few people that have gotten frames, but the factory is not even close to hitting the production marks that Evil ordered. It has to be frustrating when people want what you have to offer but the factory can't meet demand.

Dave
OUTSOURCING RULES. Thats great guess thats why Turner, Intense, and a small handful can switch up and make adjustments anytime they want. Interesting to see what production costs become once they unionize over there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
OUTSOURCING RULES. Thats great guess thats why Turner, Intense, and a small handful can switch up and make adjustments anytime they want. Interesting to see what production costs become once they unionize over there.
It's a communist nation, I doubt that will happen any time soon, if ever. Bear in mind, they're just now starting to implement minimum wage.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Turner has been outsourcing to SAPA for years.. No small builder in the US is making their own tubing in house, and try sourcing a quality 6061 forging sometime in the US, that's an experience that will give you some perspective..

Status
Not open for further replies.