Quantcast

yoga anybody?

S

Sniper

so my wife's been wanting to do yoga. and i was thinking of getting her personal yoga instruction for a christmas present. and i had this crazy notion that i might just go ahead and do it with her.

so anybody here do yoga and kinda give me some insight into the multitude of benefits i've heard yoga can give you?

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

It depends on who you ask.....

I have this couple I know who are seriously into the whole healthy living - Eastern philosophy thing. She contends that yoga is "the bomb" (her words) an can't recommend it enough. He goes regularly to a Chinese healer to fix what he broke attempting yoga.

My gut always gets in the way of doing most of the stretching, so I don't attend. :wink:

S

Sniper

Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

He goes regularly to a Chinese healer to fix what he broke attempting yoga.
uhm, ok that doesn't sound good. lol

by any chance is he one of those people who tends to push themselves a little harder than what's considered healthy?

dirty monkey

Chimp
Nov 21, 2001
not quite sure yet...
:monkey:

yoga, as a physical activity can tone, and strengthen your body. Certain postures/activities can help your digestive system(intestines, etc.) If coupled with a Sattvic(pure) diet, and meditation you will be that much more healthy, overall, and in greater control of your mind, (and quite often) thus your body.

Your balance WILL be increased- if you keep up your practice for a very long time- preferable the rest of your life. That means when you're 150 years old and you fall, you WON'T break your hip.

Obviously, flexibility is increased which CAN mean it's a bit more difficult to injure muscles/tendons/ligaments.

Yoga is cool, because- IF you find the right teacher- there is so much more to learn than what is on the surface. But if you only want to get a shallow experience, then the health/fitness benefits are still undeniable.

And..... If you don't mind me being blunt, added flexibility between you and your wife can make your sex life VERY interesting.

S

Sniper

Originally posted by dirty monkey

yoga, as a physical activity can tone, and strengthen your body. Certain postures/activities can help your digestive system(intestines, etc.) If coupled with a Sattvic(pure) diet, and meditation you will be that much more healthy, overall, and in greater control of your mind, (and quite often) thus your body.

Your balance WILL be increased- if you keep up your practice for a very long time- preferable the rest of your life. That means when you're 150 years old and you fall, you WON'T break your hip.

Obviously, flexibility is increased which CAN mean it's a bit more difficult to injure muscles/tendons/ligaments.

Yoga is cool, because- IF you find the right teacher- there is so much more to learn than what is on the surface. But if you only want to get a shallow experience, then the health/fitness benefits are still undeniable.

And..... If you don't mind me being blunt, added flexibility between you and your wife can make your sex life VERY interesting.

yeah, that added flexibility thing really caught my attention :thumb:

hey dm, thanks for all that information. slim chance on me having a sattvic diet. i've tried changing my eating habits and i've found that i'd rather work out harder so i can eat whatever i want. i know, not the perfect solution, but that's me. sounds like i might go ahead and give it a try. so far, i've only found 1 yoga instructor in my immediate area. haven't had a chance to talk to her yet, but i'm hopeful since there aren't too many choices in yoga instructors around here.

thanks again for the input.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Originally posted by dirty monkey
[B Yoga is cool, because- IF you find the right teacher- there is so much more to learn than what is on the surface. But if you only want to get a shallow experience, then the health/fitness benefits are still undeniable.[/B]
Despite my desire to learn to be healthier, more flexible, etc. it's not enough that I simply go an learn - no I have to embrace an entire LIFESTYLE! I'll never be as good or better than "The Masters" no matter how skilled I am and how much I train simply because I don't feel that it's necessary to change my whole life.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
I can't recommend yoga enough! It's a wonderful way to improve your flexibility and improve your balance. I combine my yoga with meditation every day, and find that it really benefits me in so many ways. There are many good teachers out there, and some of the YogaZone and LivingArts videos are very good, too. One I particularly recommend is Denise Austin's yoga video. E-mail me if I can provide any more information.

tammy

S

Sniper

Originally posted by tammy
I can't recommend yoga enough! It's a wonderful way to improve your flexibility and improve your balance. I combine my yoga with meditation every day, and find that it really benefits me in so many ways. There are many good teachers out there, and some of the YogaZone and LivingArts videos are very good, too. One I particularly recommend is Denise Austin's yoga video. E-mail me if I can provide any more information.

tammy
definitely interested in more info, tammy, but denise austin? man for some reason, she's always annoyed me whenever i saw her on tv.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Don't worry - there are lots of good yoga videos out there. If Denise Austin annoys you, maybe you could look into some of Rodney Yee's tapes - he's a master at yoga, and a wonderful teacher.