Quantcast

Yoga

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
So, I finally gave in and purchased Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes video. I have absolutely no experience with this stuff, but I've been having problems with my back, and thought I'd try it. I've done it a couple of times and....damn...just when you think you're in shape.....hammered. I was so sore afterwards. I think I may have pushed it a little hard.

Anyway, for those who are yoga masters, I'm wondering how often I should be doing this to get full benefits. Also, I'm wondering if anyone does pilates?? I thought I'd pick up one of those vidz too, so I don't get bored.

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
pilates is good, but not the most imporant excercise ever. however, i strongly recomend you get a qualified instructor, becuase if you think your back hurts now, wait till you teach yourself pilates wrong and screw it completly.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
My girlfriend suffered a back injury a few years ago, and then had two surgeries. Yoga has been the # 1 reason she can function near normal every day.

Do get into a class and have someone show you the ropes. There are very subtle things in a pose that can't be conveyed in video or books, that a good instructor can show you the correct way from the beginning.

And yeah, who knew staying still could be so exhausting?
I have done a bit of it with my girl, and she destroys me every time. Good stuff.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
There was a technique my jiujitsu instructor taught us for strengthening the back and neck called bridging. Basically lie on your back and raise it off the ground with your arms and legs. Slowly bring your head back down to the ground so that it supports weight. THe longer you practice this the less you have to use your arms. The goal of a really good bridge is to be able to touch your nose to the ground, ie, the weight is on your forehead.