Quantcast

Yossarian's Quest to ride (or edumacate and old guy about current disc brakes)

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
I could use the help of some distinguished and experienced Monkeys.

Some back story for those that have no clue who this Yossarian guy is.

In the 90's and early 00's I rode alot, just like the rest of you monkeys. I knew what was what in the XC MTB world. DH and Freeride were a thing, but I didn't really participate in those things. Well, I did experiment in DH with Psycle-on and Tammy, but that is a different story. I stopped riding sometime in '94 - '95 or so, due to life getting in the way and other pursuits. My bikes got mothballed (thrown in the corner, still dirty from my last ride), and there they have sat for 12 - 13 years. Now I am old and fat, want and need to lose some weight, and in general improve my overall fitness. I can no longer comfortably go for a run (something I used to enjoy), because of a shattered Lower left extremity that has left me with rods and screws galore down there. The constant impact is simply way too uncomfortable. SO...that brings me back to cycling.

Things have changed in that time since I last rode. Some of it I must concern myself with and other things not so much. Now, instead of XC and DH, there is Trail, All mountain, XC DH FR and who knows what other sub-genres of riding bikes. but this post isn't about those differences. This post is about the current Standards and how they compare to the standards from 2001.

I have two bikes that I am trying to make ridable again. One is a 1994 Kona Killuaea Hardtail with what I believe is a 1995 Marzocchi XC-R fork on it. Ancient stuff on a steel tubed frame. I would kind of like to make this bike something I can tool around the neighborhood and get some asphalt exercise after work. Almost everything on this bike is in good working order, except the fork. The oil seals are shot and may or may not be available. Even if the seals can be found I don't know if I can find anybody with the correct tools to replace them. But again, I am digressing from my point, which will be my other bike.

My other bike is a 2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3 Disc and it needs some lovin'. The Marzocchi Z3 fork and Cane Creek rear shock both seem to work like new, which is to say probably nowhere near as good as current technology, but just fine for me at the moment. The brakes and drivetrain are a whole different story.
I will make the drivetrain a whole different thread, if it is needed after I give shift systems a proper going through. I might have been a little addle brained when I was messing with shifters and derailleurs late last night.

BRAKES! The Hayes HFX hydros ist kaput! I knew things wouldn't be good when the brake systems had no pressure in the lines whatsoever and there was evidence of brake fluid leakage. An attempt at bleeding the system last night revealed that the front brakes leak badly at the lever and the rear brakes leak badly at the caliper. This supports the evidence of leakage referenced earlier. I have resigned myself that I might as well just put a modern disc brake system on the bike. I have to imagine that anything modern in any price range is an improvement over 16 year old technology.

This brings me to my question(s). Are the standards of fabrication the same today as they were in 2001 with regards to brake systems? Will a 160mm rotor with a 6 bolt pattern match the 6 bolt pattern on my hubs. Will the calipers mount to my frame, or have the mounting standards changed?

Thanks Monkeys.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I believe that hydro standards are still the same. I replaced the Hayes rear brake on my '01 Giant NRS with a new SRAM hydro of some sort and there were no issues. And yeah - the 6-bolt pattern is still standard too.

All that said - get rid of that Sugar (better yet - hand it down to a kid) and get a new bike.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
I believe that hydro standards are still the same. I replaced the Hayes rear brake on my '01 Giant NRS with a new SRAM hydro of some sort and there were no issues. And yeah - the 6-bolt pattern is still standard too.

All that said - get rid of that Sugar (better yet - hand it down to a kid) and get a new bike.
Thanks for the info on standards. That is good to know.

Regarding the Sugar and replacing it, you nailed the ultimate goal. I want to make both bikes work, get myself and my 13 YO son out on the dirt and eventually upgrade myself and put him on the Sugar. Several things have to occur for that to happen. 1 - there are some big ticket household type expenses that have to be paid for before I can go drop $3K or whatever a decent bike costs these days, 2 - the boy needs to show more than a passing interest in mountain biking. I will do everything I can to encourage that, as I have learned that if the boy and I can bond over something, the home category finance manager is way more open minded to N+1 bikes and accessories.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Thanks for the info on standards. That is good to know.

Regarding the Sugar and replacing it, you nailed the ultimate goal. I want to make both bikes work, get myself and my 13 YO son out on the dirt and eventually upgrade myself and put him on the Sugar. Several things have to occur for that to happen. 1 - there are some big ticket household type expenses that have to be paid for before I can go drop $3K or whatever a decent bike costs these days, 2 - the boy needs to show more than a passing interest in mountain biking. I will do everything I can to encourage that, as I have learned that if the boy and I can bond over something, the home category finance manager is way more open minded to N+1 bikes and accessories.
He's 13?

Never mind... you're screwed.

:p

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Depending on what you want, if its just something to put around town on and don't need suspension, there are actually quite a few decently priced bikes out there that won't break the bank. The quality of even lower tier components is pretty great these days.

You also missed the enduro genre. But be careful about throwing that word around here. Bad things happen. :eek:

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
He's 13?

Never mind... you're screwed.

:p
Yeap. and I have a 16 year old daughter. now you can understand the tightened purse strings.

I have a set of new in box 5 year old XT brakes I could hook you up with for cheap.
I am interested. lets move this convo to PMs

Depending on what you want, if its just something to put around town on and don't need suspension, there are actually quite a few decently priced bikes out there that won't break the bank. The quality of even lower tier components is pretty great these days.

You also missed the enduro genre. But be careful about throwing that word around here. Bad things happen. :eek:
the goal is to ride dirt and to do so on a decent bike. any riding not done on dirt is in preparation of riding on dirt. the Kona HT may get a rigid fork for my general exercise and for the boy to learn on.

I am sure there are fine points between, XC, Trail, All mountain and endure, but I have no clue what they are. I also forgot to mention 27.5" and 29ers. Do they even make a mid to high end 26 anymore?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
the goal is to ride dirt and to do so on a decent bike. any riding not done on dirt is in preparation of riding on dirt. the Kona HT may get a rigid fork for my general exercise and for the boy to learn on.

I am sure there are fine points between, XC, Trail, All mountain and endure, but I have no clue what they are. I also forgot to mention 27.5" and 29ers. Do they even make a mid to high end 26 anymore?
The genre naming is pretty silly. Riding trails is what it should be...

And nope, 26 is pretty much dead. There are only a few select brands still making new 26" frames.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Some good news on the sugar rehab. I spent some time wrenching tonight. The pawls in the rapid fire shifters needed a little no stickum.

After that, the front derailleur seemed to shift fine, whereas prior, i only had two chainring shifting capability. I can get all three now. I think with a good cleaning and lubing of the pivot points and cable that the front is good to go.

The rear shifter got the pawls lubed, as well as the cable. With a little retensioning of the cable it is now mostly working. I can move up and down the cogset. It is a little jumpy and skips a gear here and there. A good cleaning and some slippery stuff on the rear der. Along with a refresher course on derallier tuning and I think the rear will be in full operational order.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bikes have advanced a lot in the past 15 years. You may want to consider selling one of them kids for a new dentist's bike. Sounds like one of them is at least old enough to get a job in some sweatshop.

However more capable new bikes are, if your trails have not advanced with them the new bikes aren't necessarily any more fun than a twitchy assed 26er.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Ya know, I am sure there are benefits to the 29ers over a 26" wheel, I get that. I am not sure that 27.5 needed to be created. It seems like it filled a hole that could have remained empty.

As for advancements, in tech and trail, Fuck it. I live in the south and the dirt track guys have a saying, " Run what you brung" I think I will be fine for awhile on a vintage 26. I will make all the man bun hipsters jealous.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm still on 26" wheels.

And I'm about to rebuild my old Turner RFX. Tapered head tubes are the biggest compatibility issue I find with my old 1 1/8" frames.

Brake-wise, I like Shimanos these days. Simple, solid, powerful, easy.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
And I'm about to rebuild my old Turner RFX. Tapered head tubes are the biggest compatibility issue I find with my old 1 1/8" frames.
You can still buy a brand new 2017 Fox 36 for 26" wheels with a straight 1 1/8" steerer.