Quantcast

you can now watch olbermann on......

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
current tv.

will you be one of the lucky 23,000 to see him?

For Olbermann, his move to Current gives him a chance to wield large influence over a a relatively tiny network. Current averages about 23,000 viewers in primetime every night--a far cry from the million or so viewers who watched "Countdown."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It doesn't matter what Current's current viewership is.

Olbermann has enough cachet that he immediately legitimizes Current's news programming by joining the channel.

I did a quick peek at some numbers, and Olbermann had about 900,000 viewers a night (compared to O'Reilly 3mil). The question is if Olbermann is strong enough to bring in viewership without any lead-ins, like Chris Matthews.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I've never even heard of that channel.
Olbermann, while occasionally insightful, pretty much sucks though. Hard to stand firm in agreement with a douche like that.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
For those that don't know the history, CurrentTV is Al Gore's channel (well, he was a founding partner, at least), originally a youtube over the airwaves, but has had to adapt to the reality of that being an absolutely terrible idea.

This could be just like Stern's move to Sirius XM, and actually turn them into a real station. Would LOVE to see a new News channel emerge to compete with the spineless sensationalism of the other outlets.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
it matters if no one gets the channel.
1. I get Current.
2. I also have this thing called the intraweb, which was a series of tubes invented by the owner of Current, the climate change savior.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Stoked! I actually regularly watch current, they report on loads of great under reported stories that no other news network will cover.

+10 for olbermann, he just gained allot of credibility as a journalist with this move.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
For those that don't know the history, CurrentTV is Al Gore's channel (well, he was a founding partner, at least), originally a youtube over the airwaves, but has had to adapt to the reality of that being an absolutely terrible idea.

This could be just like Stern's move to Sirius XM, and actually turn them into a real station.
they had some decent shows but it seemed those were all shot by someone using a Flip cam.

and Sirius was well on its way to becoming the company it is today (Sirius XM.) paying Stern $100mil was a dumb idea

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
and Sirius was well on its way to becoming the company it is today (Sirius XM.) paying Stern $100mil was a dumb idea
Nah, paying Oprah and Martha was a stupid idea. Sirius doesn't bring Stern on, and they don't exist. They were the little guys, XM was the big gorilla, pre-Stern.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Nah, paying Oprah and Martha was a stupid idea. Sirius doesn't bring Stern on, and they don't exist. They were the little guys, XM was the big gorilla, pre-Stern.
Oprah unfortunately makes sense for them especially now that the witch has her own channel.
XM was on its way down before Stern got there. our company sold both XM and Sirius products and our XM sales were almost non-existent well before the "merger"

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
+10 for olbermann, he just gained allot of credibility as a journalist with this move.
Which means what?

If you are a person who reports their own opinion you are an editorialist, not a journalist.

Get the fvck out of the way and let the facts speak, then you're a journalist.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Which means what?

If you are a person who reports their own opinion you are an editorialist, not a journalist.

Get the fvck out of the way and let the facts speak, then you're a journalist.
Find me 1 actual "journalist" then, NBC is owned by GE, who is the second largest defense contractor in the world (see conflict of interest involving war reporting) and I'm not even going to go into how horrible fox news is.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Find me 1 actual "journalist" then, NBC is owned by GE, who is the second largest defense contractor in the world (see conflict of interest involving war reporting) and I'm not even going to go into how horrible fox news is.

You don't seem to be getting this. Olbermann is popular SPECIFICALLY because of his opinions. Same with OReilly, Colbert, whoever else...

Journalists, while you might be able to glean some potential leanings from their work, dont actually state opinions at all. This is the difference between "news" and "infotainment".

So for instance Greta Van Susteran or Brian Williams are much more journalistically credible, regardless of their employers.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
You don't seem to be getting this. Olbermann is popular SPECIFICALLY because of his opinions. Same with OReilly, Colbert, whoever else...

Journalists, while you might be able to glean some potential leanings from their work, dont actually state opinions at all. This is the difference between "news" and "infotainment".

So for instance Greta Van Susteran or Brian Williams are much more journalistically credible, regardless of their employers.
Have you heard greta van susteran talk? She states opinion as questions, listen to the tone and connotation as well.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Have you heard greta van susteran talk? She states opinion as questions, listen to the tone and connotation as well.
Do you know how to read?

Like I said, you might be able to glean some opinions from her work, but she doesn't outright state her opinions in an effort to sway public setiment. She asks rather than tells... that's the point.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Do you know how to read?

Like I said, you might be able to glean some opinions from her work, but she doesn't outright state her opinions in an effort to sway public setiment. She asks rather than tells... that's the point.
Yea, she doesn't outright say her opinion, but she spews out enough loaded rhetorical questions that the opinion is blatant. I know how to read, burly, you're getting caught up in definitions, and not looking at the content and how people in the news say what they say.

As far as I'm concerned, having an opinion on the situation in say the niger delta (an issue current reports on regularly) counts for more than asking a question like, "Is Obama really a citizen?" Or something along the lines of "is global warming real?" they are obviously loaded questions, but I guess you're literacy doesn't extend to critical thinking........

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yea, she doesn't outright say her opinion, but she spews out enough loaded rhetorical questions that the opinion is blatant. I know how to read, burly, you're getting caught up in definitions, and not looking at the content and how people in the news say what they say.

As far as I'm concerned, having an opinion on the situation in say the niger delta (an issue current reports on regularly) counts for more than asking a question like, "Is Obama really a citizen?" Or something along the lines of "is global warming real?" they are obviously loaded questions, but I guess you're literacy doesn't extend to critical thinking........
:rofl:

My point here isn't to defend Greta, it's to differentiate between job descriptions. If you don't like getting "caught up" in pesky definitions, don't try to assign people job titles that you don't know the meanings of.

Also, there is quite a lot of value in questions you'd describe as "loaded". Katie Couric might have tried to make Palin look stupid... but it's important that we actually know if she IS an idiot. If Greta asked Obama "where is the birth certificate" as her viewership might demand, he'd better have a truthful answer. You might not like it, but it is incumbent upon her to ask such things.

Here's a little bit of info you might find helpful:
Everyone is biased to a degree. To not be biased is impossible, so to hold journalists to such a standard makes no sense. To differentiate between opinion and reporting of facts is not always easy, but in the case of Olbermann or Oreilly, it is really quite easy to do so. I just picked two random reporters in Williams/VanScientologist as examples, but you seemingly can't get past your own biases to see the point Im making. Maybe try responding to this when you grow some pubes and perhaps a brain.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know Olbermann comes off as a pompous ass, and yes, he is as biased as Palin.

But he has stated his points rather elegantly, particularly his "Special Comments".

Often, it is not what you say but how you say it that also matters.

P.S. Can someone mention a non-biased reporter to me, that reports the real truth?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

My point here isn't to defend Greta, it's to differentiate between job descriptions. If you don't like getting "caught up" in pesky definitions, don't try to assign people job titles that you don't know the meanings of.

Also, there is quite a lot of value in questions you'd describe as "loaded". Katie Couric might have tried to make Palin look stupid... but it's important that we actually know if she IS an idiot. If Greta asked Obama "where is the birth certificate" as her viewership might demand, he'd better have a truthful answer. You might not like it, but it is incumbent upon her to ask such things.

Here's a little bit of info you might find helpful:
Everyone is biased to a degree. To not be biased is impossible, so to hold journalists to such a standard makes no sense. To differentiate between opinion and reporting of facts is not always easy, but in the case of Olbermann or Oreilly, it is really quite easy to do so. I just picked two random reporters in Williams/VanScientologist as examples, but you seemingly can't get past your own biases to see the point Im making. Maybe try responding to this when you grow some pubes and perhaps a brain.
Jesus Fing christ, must you tie your panties in a knot every time I "misuse" a word. Speaking of growing pubes

Go watch some "reporters" and they have just as much bias, the language they use is different. I actually have got passed my bias, that's why I forgo the Fox NBC media for the AP, BBC, Al gezeera and Ha aretz. But then again I'm not sure you have the balls to actually pay attention to what the united states is doing to the rest of the world.....

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Jesus Fing christ, must you tie your panties in a knot every time I "misuse" a word. Speaking of growing pubes

Go watch some "reporters" and they have just as much bias, the language they use is different. I actually have got passed my bias, that's why I forgo the Fox NBC media for the AP, BBC, Al gezeera and Ha aretz. But then again I'm not sure you have the balls to actually pay attention to what the united states is doing to the rest of the world.....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Not that I give a sh*t for internet rules, but if you're going to launch an attack on someone's literacy, you shouldn't make retarded grammatical errors in the process and expect not be called on it... particularly when you're known as the site retard for making the exact same mistakes over and over again.

Go watch some "reporters" and they have just as much bias, the language they use is different.
So... you're arguing FOR my point now? Recognizing that while everyone has biases, some folks report and others rant... that was the idea from the get-go.

I actually have got passed my bias, that's why I forgo the Fox NBC media for the AP, BBC, Al gezeera and Ha aretz. But then again I'm not sure you have the balls to actually pay attention to what the united states is doing to the rest of the world.....

If only I possessed such bravery.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Find me 1 actual "journalist" then, NBC is owned by GE, who is the second largest defense contractor in the world (see conflict of interest involving war reporting)
so were you shocked when barry hired someone from GE?

why bush never thought of this...i'll never know.