Quantcast

You Central CA people ok?

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I didn't realize there was an earthquake until Acadian called to tell me about it. Some people in my office bldg., here in San Francisco, felt a little bit of shaking but not much

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Joe Pozer said:
I didn't realize there was an earthquake until Acadian called to tell me about it. Some people in my office bldg., here in San Francisco, felt a little bit of shaking but not much
I think people in your building are getting "shaken" for other reasons right now :(

Freak: the building was just swaying back and forth...no hard hits.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Oh my good f'ing God, you out of staters/countriers!!! You actually FELT that??? Pfffff! Then you get on the phone and on line all oh my god oh my god...:rolleyes: Goes to show you barely anyone in Cali is from Cali anymore...gettin all exicted over a 6.0 nearly 200 miles away...sheesh.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
dh girlie said:
Oh my good f'ing God, you out of staters/countriers!!! You actually FELT that??? Pfffff! Then you get on the phone and on line all oh my god oh my god...:rolleyes: Goes to show you barely anyone in Cali is from Cali anymore...gettin all exicted over a 6.0 nearly 200 miles away...sheesh.

Hey take a chill pill....you're not on the phone with someone wanting their tree cut down or something... :dancing:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
dh girlie said:
Only 6.0 and 200 miles away.....dh girlie is right pfffff! At least that is the way I felt when I lived in Cali (most of my life). We don't have that up here in Washington, oh well......

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
evilbob said:
Only 6.0 and 200 miles away.....dh girlie is right pfffff! At least that is the way I felt when I lived in Cali (most of my life). We don't have that up here in Washington, oh well......
EXACTLY...I'd like to see what all these out of staters/coutriers would do if they were here in 89!

But thanks for the concern Freak...I forgot to mention that in my original post!

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
dh girlie said:
EXACTLY...I'd like to see what all these out of staters/coutriers would do if they were here in 89!

But thanks for the concern Freak...I forgot to mention that in my original post!

I wasn't there in 89, but I was there for the northridge quake in Jan 94....

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Freak said:
I wasn't there in 89, but I was there for the northridge quake in Jan 94....

The one in 89 in SF was BAD...to see it on tv is completely different to see it in person...in sf there were 5 story buildings on the ground that you were looking at the roof top...street broken and raised about 6 or 7 feet...creepy and eerie was what it was...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I can't wait for Arnold to come out with a speech saying that we (Californians) won't let a simple earthquake damage our pride and pursuit of freedom. Hey, he did it for the last one...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
It was in Parkfield, only cows and ranchers were affected!

There is a race there next month, parts of the course are in the San Andreas fault, its sweet!

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Acadian said:
I think people in your building are getting "shaken" for other reasons right now :(

Yep, it's not a fun being around here today. Pretty sad seening people you've worked with for the past four years getting laid off. :(

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
reflux said:
I can't wait for Arnold to come out with a speech saying that we (Californians) won't let a simple earthquake damage our pride and pursuit of freedom. Hey, he did it for the last one...
He's going to call it a a girlie-quake...

J

JRB

Joe Pozer said:
Yep, it's not a fun being around here today. Pretty sad seening people you've worked with for the past four years getting laid off. :(

yup - bummer dude.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
evilbob said:
You don't? Then what happend in Seattle in 2000 (or was it early 01?)? I've experienced a couple of small quakes around Portland.

I felt the quake right off. I thought somebody was pushing my cubicle wall back in forth, so I stood up and still felt the shaking. Pretty mild (about 55 miles away). It was a rolling quake, and only lasted about 4-7 seconds. It felt like a tiny version of the san simeon quake last last winter.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
dh girlie said:
We had a little quake up here a couple of years ago. I had to work with this one A$$ of a contractor from England. Bosting this and that everyday, putting America down.... bla bla bla. Oh but then the ground shook a little and he started to cry (seriously, tears). Next day he went home..........bye bye. :thumb:

On a serious note:

I hope everyone is ok and calmed down.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
towelie said:
You don't? Then what happend in Seattle in 2000 (or was it early 01?)? I've experienced a couple of small quakes around Portland.
Got me, yes there are quakes up here but I have not been knocked down by one yet. In Cali I have been takin off my feet 3 times, that will get your attention real quick.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
dh girlie said:
The one in 89 in SF was BAD...to see it on tv is completely different to see it in person...in sf there were 5 story buildings on the ground that you were looking at the roof top...street broken and raised about 6 or 7 feet...creepy and eerie was what it was...
Holy crap I was in that one... At first I said to myself "oh an earthquake" then it was like BAM "holy sh!t this is not good. Ran out of my bedroom to see the lighting fixture that hung 6 ft from the second story ceiling smashing holes into the ceiling drywall. Now that was a quake!!!

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
I'm about 50 miles from the epicenter, so it hit pretty hard here. It was definitely a long smooth roll, the second story of my house was swaying back and forth, windows rattling and all that, but nothing fell or broke. Didn't even lose any water from the aquarium this time. I love talking to the people who were in their cars at the time, "WHAT QUAKE!" hehe.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Didn't notice it in Morgan Hill. But I got emails from folks working up on the peninsula that did. Of course the buildings they are in are on fill or sandy areas so that tends to exacerbate the effect which is why stuff in SJ was largely undammaged while SF and Oakland 30mi further away got hammered.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
I grew up about 35 miles from St. Helens. I remember every few years you'd look out in the morning and see a big streak of ash across the snow. It tends to have these eruptions from time to time, and it has been awhile. It is about due.

Make no mistake that St. Helens, like all the cascades, is a very active Volcano. If you ever climb it you can look down and see the dome in the crater steaming. If you ever climb hood, just above Timberline you encounter the "sulpher vents", which is a series of stinky, sulpherous steam vents. I've never climbed Rainier, but I hear it has some activity too, as does Adams. These are very active mountains, and it is only a question of which will have a major eruption first, and when. All of them will likely erupt again though.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
towelie said:
I grew up about 35 miles from St. Helens. I remember every few years you'd look out in the morning and see a big streak of ash across the snow. It tends to have these eruptions from time to time, and it has been awhile. It is about due.

Make no mistake that St. Helens, like all the cascades, is a very active Volcano. If you ever climb it you can look down and see the dome in the crater steaming. If you ever climb hood, just above Timberline you encounter the "sulpher vents", which is a series of stinky, sulpherous steam vents. I've never climbed Rainier, but I hear it has some activity too, as does Adams. These are very active mountains, and it is only a question of which will have a major eruption first, and when. All of them will likely erupt again though.
I'm talking about the kind of eruption like was seen in 1980.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I don't know about you guys, but havin been through the 89 earthquake and a mere tornado out in the mid US one time.. I think I'd take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornadoes. The wild fires are another story however.

What were you guys doin during the 89? I was sittin in the backseat of mommy's car.. "Hey mommy, mommy.. who rear ended us???" "No son, the trees are shaking you dummy"

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Just in case anyone cares there was an article in Outside magazine about a year or two ago outlining the fact there are at least 10 volcano/mountains up and down the West Coast. Oh and did anyone hear about the quake in Alaska. They are saying all this activity in this short time span could mean something big is gonna happen. Just thought I would add to the hysteria.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Who is "they"? Do you have a link to a geologist, or is this just casual speculation? I really don't think things are any worse today than they have been for the past 100 years. Lassen erupted in 1915, San Francisco was destroyed by a quake in 1906, Alaska had a 9.2 quake in 1964, St. Helens erupted in 1980.

Rainier erupted 2200 years ago, and 7000 years ago Mt. Mazama (crater lake) had an eruption 100 times greater than St. Helens, and has had smaller eruptions as recently as 650 years ago. In fact, in Washington ALL of the volcanoes except Adam's have erupted in the past 250 years.

St. Helens is the most active volcano in the states though, and has been for the past few thousand years. An eruption wouldn't be suprising, but I wouldn't get too worked up about impending doom.