Quantcast

You guys still ride with neck braces??

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
For downhill specifically, I always rode with one just because I was sort of made to (the wife is a nurse at Vancouver General and has told me there are always a handful of riders that are air lifted in with neck injuries every season). But I know there's info out there that states they don't really do much to actually protect your neck. Even wearing a neck brace, I always had to hope I would never tumble and hit a rock with my spine or ribs.

I started the season without one. Man, talk about liberating! So much more range of motion and comfort, but I got a new one just because of the reason above. It sucks.

I can see the benefit if you crash and your head is push forward: the chin bar will bottom out on the chest portion of the neck brace no problem. That's fine. But I don't see how the helmet will bottom out on the rear portion of the brace if you crash and your head if forced backwards. I tried pushing my head back but there's no way to get the helmet and brace to contact (yes I've played with the angle adjustment pieces). I figure if I hit hard enough for this to actually happen, my neck will be wrecked anyway. As for the side to side motion...well, it just depends if you crash and the side portions of the brace line up with the edge of the helmet. If not, you're f-d as well.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Gear makes me anxious, I tend to focus on it and become to cognitive of it...when I ride knee, ff, gloves shorts I usually just boogie...I get a little concerned about forearms and breaking them on rocks but that's about it..
I moved my head last time I crashed when racing and unearthed a massive rock with my right shoulder...

Something around my.neck would play hell with my attention...

That being said I have heard good and bad about em...i error on the side of caution with my kid...i got him a leatte that fits his armor well...

So for those who do it's a smart choice safety is paramount, I'm all supportive of those....I am less attentive with it so it becomes almost magnet to attract a crash for me..

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
did you just not like wearing it, or do you not see any safety benefit from it?
I bought it literally just to ride a slopestyle course we were building at woodward because I was scared shitless and trying a bunch of flippy spinny shit I had no familiarity with. I never had any intention of wearing it on a regular basis for dh or anything else.

Pretty much just a security blanket to keep me from pissing myself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i tried one once but found it far too restrictive, even when adjusted as wide as possible. i believe it was a moto version, and when paired with my spine armor was probably the issue.