Quantcast

You think this can be trued?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
(pic borrowed from Splat's Pedrosfest thread)

This was the result of a dirt jump gone wrong. Do you think it can be fixed, or has the wheel be weakened and I should just cut my losses and get a new one?

Three spokes broke too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In that case you might need a new rim. If it is just out of whack because the spokes are broken your fine. If the rim is bent it will take some crazy spoke tension to straighten it out and will probably not be a very strong wheel. You (most likely your wife;)) might be able to bend it back straight, I have done this once and the wheel ran fine for quite a while.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Like Westy said, you're not going to "true" that wheel.

If you don't want to spend the bucks for a new wheel, you could loosen/remove all the spokes and bend it back. Might very well hold up for a long time.

I can't see the make... If it's a light XC wheel, I'd probably just buy a new one. Toss the old one in a closet and use it if you ever end up completely destroying your new rim and need a backup for a couple rides.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I don't think you will be able to true it. If it is near the seam, I wouldn't even try. Like Wumpus said though, it's worth a shot for $20. I would consider rebuilding it with a Mavic 519 rim though. They can be had on the cheap now.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk said:
note to self: Learn to build wheels - FAST.

yeah! Go for it MBC

There are some Deore hubs for sale cheap in the buy and sell - you could use those to start off with.

And then build me some 29er wheels in the future.:)

MMcG said:
yeah! Go for it MBC

There are some Deore hubs for sale cheap in the buy and sell - you could use those to start off with.

And then build me some 29er wheels in the future.:)
I'm actually fairly confident I can build them - I just don't know if I can true them LOL

ok ok. I just ordered Jobst's book - and now I have to find a rim, spokes and nipples. Any suggestions? For IAB's wheel obviously.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
w00dy said:
Whack it on the ground until it's a little straighter then true it up. You run discs, it doesn't have to be perfect.
Splat did that back at the campsite, and it looked a lot truer. I still would just build a new wheel around the old hub.

MBC, get a decent truing stand, and take your time. I build all my own wheels, and I find it calming. I have The Bicycle Wheel book (I forget who its by) and I learned with that. You will also need a spoke calculator. I use one I downloaded from Sheldon's website. Its an Excel spreadsheet, and you can edit it by adding rims and hubs.

If you want to build really good wheels, you will also need a spoke tensiometer. I have one made by Park and it improves the tension of the wheel so everything is even.

Quo Fan said:
Splat did that back at the campsite, and it looked a lot truer. I still would just build a new wheel around the old hub.

MBC, get a decent truing stand, and take your time. I build all my own wheels, and I find it calming. I have The Bicycle Wheel book (I forget who its by) and I learned with that. You will also need a spoke calculator. I use one I downloaded from Sheldon's website. Its an Excel spreadsheet, and you can edit it by adding rims and hubs.

If you want to build really good wheels, you will also need a spoke tensiometer. I have one made by Park and it improves the tension of the wheel so everything is even.

I've got a truing stand and dishing tool!