Quantcast

Your advice on brake cables please.

At the moment I'm back riding my Zaskar for the winter but I'm having probs with the rear brake.
When I first rebuilt the bike the back brake was fine,easy lever pull and plenty of power.However after a few rides all's not well.I know you can't expect never to service a bike but what I was wondering was this.
Instead or running just a small section of outer cable from frame to brake noodle would I get better performance by using a full run of outer from lever to noodle thus sealing the cable from mud better??
Or would the extra drag just put me back to square one?

Your thoughts gladly recieved.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Full-length brake cable housing is a regular request where I work, and it's darn good even with the average-ist (read: no-name "Universal") cables and housing. Works especially well if your frame has hydraulic line mounts for the rear brake, so you can just run it through those, then up a bit to the brake. A zip-tie or two is to be expected. Extra friction is negligable, especially since you're now in a "closed" system, without all that dirt and grime getting sucked in with every pull of the brake.

For future reference, we do ALL bikes with rear cable-actuated disc brakes with full-length housing.

When you set the bike up with said full-length housing, put a couple of drops of Tri-Flow into the housing before inserting the cable. Keeps everything nice and wet, and again, you don't have to worry (as much) about contamination.

I say go for it.

If that fails, I would suggest re-lubing the little plastic tube inside the noodle (Johnny Snot, or TriFlow in a pinch), rebuilding your brake lever, or re-greasing ye ole caliper pivots. Then you should be set.

Ride hard my friend.

-$hibby-

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
I've seen some guides that are of large enough diameter to allow the hydraulic line (or full length cable). they screw into the standard cable guides. I'll try to find out who makes em and where to buy them.