Quantcast

Your Aline report

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Hiked up last night. No snow on the trail. The jump at the top is about 3 times bigger...its awesome. No braking bumps....lots of fresh dirt. All lips re-shaped, and bigger berms in places. The tranny to the rock drop has been shaped, and is smooth now. Lots of new dirt, which will take a good part of saturday to be ridden in. For the most part it was either super tacky, or dry. The only muddy spot was at the DirtMerchant/Aline junction.

Peeked over at Angry Pirate, and it still had a ton of snow on the trail, and crabapple still needs a little work, however no snow in sight.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Thanks for the update! Will be up there next weekend. Very excited, but have never been up there w/o the upper mountain running. I'll be taking my skis just in case! :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I will wait till some of the other trails are open...I am not the biggest fan of a-line and JUST riding a-line wouldn't give me my cheap thrills :)

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Roasted said:
I will wait till some of the other trails are open...I am not the biggest fan of a-line and JUST riding a-line wouldn't give me my cheap thrills :)
We are supposed to head up tomorrow. How many of the lower trails are open?
If its only A-line, Dirt Merchant, etc, I'll pass until more trails are open. I can go to SST for jumps.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
trailhacker said:
We are supposed to head up tomorrow. How many of the lower trails are open?
If its only A-line, Dirt Merchant, etc, I'll pass until more trails are open. I can go to SST for jumps.
As far as I can remember, A-line, DirtMerchant, Schleyer, B-line, HoChiMin

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
bent^biker said:
when are they planning to have Garbonzo open?
No word yet. Too much snow to tell. It is going to be very warm in the alpine for the next week. Lots of snow should melt.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Netguy said:
No word yet. Too much snow to tell. It is going to be very warm in the alpine for the next week. Lots of snow should melt.
word. garbanzo wont open for a long time... or mabey global worming could help :rofl:

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Netguy said:
Angry Pirate
Last year one day my budie Tino and I were one of the last ones off the mountain at close time. Well they grabed us to help with the sweep. They hand out these little cards with some trail combos on em and you have to follow those combos down to look for lost, broke down or hurt riders before close. Anyway we get to the top and they are handing out the cards and the dude goes. "Who wants Angrey Pirate?"
In unison all 15 or so of us go AAAAAAAARRRRR Matie!" If was freaking funny. It was followed with an intermediate trail my ass conversation about the trail rating. :)

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
That trail made my wife cry last summer. I felt bad for her, because she felt like she was holding me up. For my part, I wasn't bummed. This summer we're renting her a real DH rig up there, and I'll start her on B-line and Crank It Up if she feels like she wants to hit the blue trails.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
jodysbike said:
Last year one day my budie Tino and I were one of the last ones off the mountain at close time. Well they grabed us to help with the sweep. They hand out these little cards with some trail combos on em and you have to follow those combos down to look for lost, broke down or hurt riders before close. Anyway we get to the top and they are handing out the cards and the dude goes. "Who wants Angrey Pirate?"
In unison all 15 or so of us go AAAAAAAARRRRR Matie!" If was freaking funny. It was followed with an intermediate trail my ass conversation about the trail rating. :)
I didnt know that they had people help with the sweep on the last run down, ive always thought it was the mountain saftey peeps and thats it

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Snacks said:
Whistler in May = Mud:(
whistler in may = the ****, (for the moment at least) its hot, dry, the trails are in good knick and its quiet too:)

crab apple hits opened today too which was nice.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
carbuncle said:
That trail made my wife cry last summer. I felt bad for her, because she felt like she was holding me up. For my part, I wasn't bummed. This summer we're renting her a real DH rig up there, and I'll start her on B-line and Crank It Up if she feels like she wants to hit the blue trails.
A good one to get her used to that style is golden triangle to lower duff (which used to be part of golden triangle) and ho chi min. Those are good progressors to angry pirate if thats where you eventually wanna drag her :)

Heart of darkness is another one but from what I hear they have butchered it in the way to making the trail harder.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Actually I am not sure what they did to it. But it was great for my gf. A good transition trail to the other harder ones. I have just been reading on nsmb what has been done. I will get a better idea in a few days.

I am just bitter they did the same to the dj park imo. Whistler mountain is beginning to cator to the intermediate and advanced and less the the transitioning riders in between. I have spent a lot of time trying to get my gf to progress to the harder blues and heart of darkness was one of the best trails for it.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
cove rider said:
I didnt know that they had people help with the sweep on the last run down, ive always thought it was the mountain saftey peeps and thats it
A few minutes before the lifts close, there is a bike patrol person at the bottom trying to recruit sweepers. Always a cool thing to do.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
360 said:
whistler in may = the ****, (for the moment at least) its hot, dry, the trails are in good knick and its quiet too:)
Yes, it was hot and dry unless you were on a trail that had snow-melt running off into it.
We didn't hit A-line (yawn) but for the few trails that were open, every one we hit was wet to some degree.
It looks like they built up A-line from what you can see from the lift. When you come out of the berm under the lift (right before you get off) there is a small step-down and then the first table is much bigger.

Roasted said:
I have just been reading on nsmb what has been done. I will get a better idea in a few days.
When you cross under the lift and then go into the trees you come up to a water tower(?). The trail really starts there. There is a new table with two different lips. After that you go down a hill to another big tabletop. Go around a fresh berm (it will be next year until it shapes up good) off a sort of step-down, another walled/bermed corner then a step-up. The step-up is weird as it doesn't really have a lip, the ground just sort of stops? It is pretty much the same after that.
Roasted said:
Whistler mountain is beginning to cator to the intermediate and advanced and less the the transitioning riders in between. I have spent a lot of time trying to get my gf to progress to the harder blues and heart of darkness was one of the best trails for it.
I agree with what you say about some of the changes. My GF isn't a big jumper (yet) and HoD was our finish trail of chioce. Now it seems like there is going to be a bunch of traffic on the trail?
It seems like there is some A-line'y aspect to every new advanced trail. I don't want to say they ruined hornet last year, but I would have prefered they continued A-line on its own trail?
I prefer the natural rocky, rooty, twisty, technical single track and hope they are able to do more of that type stuff on the top.

Mar 1, 2006
bonney lake
does anyone know why they changed national to "detroit rock city?" either way it was prime. someone said they opened crabapple on sunday? i left at like 2:30 and it was closed =/ bummer b/c i was getting stoked up for that the whole ride there! any word on when dirty merchant will be up?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
jodysbike said:
...... and they are handing out the cards and the dude goes. "Who wants Angrey Pirate?"

Go to the urban dictionary and look up angry pirate... then the next time they call out to see who wants it, you might not be so quick to say aye....

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
cove rider said:
hahaha carnage:ouch:
Nah, as long as you remember that it will be a LONG time before they realize that you aren't coming down. They will have to start the lifts and come look for you. Incentive enough to keep it under control.:mumble:

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
jodysbike said:
That made me laugh! I swear, Angry Pirate should be a diamond. That was the first trail I ever did at Whistler, and I was thinking to myself "if this is a blue, what in the world will a black diamond be like". Luckily, I quickly realized that most of the diamonds were not much more difficult at all than Angry Pirate! Great trail though!!

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
vibiker said:
Nah, as long as you remember that it will be a LONG time before they realize that you aren't coming down. They will have to start the lifts and come look for you. Incentive enough to keep it under control.:mumble:
Ya like the next day:( Ya that is pretty good incentive to keep it under control and not push the limits plus yer suppose to be looking for people anyways so probably flying down the mountain wouldnt really be helpful

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
GrapeApe79 said:
That made me laugh! I swear, Angry Pirate should be a diamond. That was the first trail I ever did at Whistler, and I was thinking to myself "if this is a blue, what in the world will a black diamond be like". Luckily, I quickly realized that most of the diamonds were not much more difficult at all than Angry Pirate! Great trail though!!
Ha, did the same thing. I like your avatar BTW.

I'll be heading up for a long memorial day weekend to!

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
is angry pirate the one where you cross the road heading left and into the huge step-up into the woods? it seems like i remember going down it during a no joke run