Quantcast

Your favorite chain tensioner for vertical dropouts?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hi all,

I have an extra hardtail lying around that I've decided to convert into a singlespeed. The only "problem" is that there's a myriad (love that word) of ways to tension the chain, but I can't seem to figure out which option is the best suited for me. So, the question. Of all the choices out there, and preferably the ones that you've used, which chain tensioner is your favorite. Thanks!

Andrew

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I just use an old shortcage road mech. I just asked at the LBS for one and they gave me some ancient one. But it has a really strong spring so it works great. You just put it on and adjust it so it lines up with the cog.

Attachments

J

JRB

Quo Fan said:
I used the Surly Singlator when I built my SS from an old hardtail frame. Works as advertised. I use it in the "push up" mode.
:stupid: I like the Melvin with a 2 x 1.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I'm putting a guide on ea. side of the back cog somehow & front using a bashplate.Seems like i always have a chain POP off under torque.That sucks.
The chainline was perfect too..Must have been slightly warped chainring then !

I use a pyramid tensioner,it's $20 & looks like the more expensive ones i used to buy.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
HRDTLBRO said:
One word. Rennen.

Ditto.

I don't like spring tensioned tensioners. If you hit something your chain can fly off. My only issue is the Rennen has a 17 bolt... who carries a 17 on them while riding??

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
It's spendy, but I like my Soulcraft Convert. I'm with Ars...never had any luck with spring tensioners. That Rennen looks nice and has a solid rep. My money's going there if I ever need another.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
MunkeeHucker said:
its not my pic but in the story its a 28, but I imagine it can be any middle ring sized just play with the chain size....
I sort of tried this but my chain stay gets in the way. I did not try to many sizes so maybe I will give it another shot.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
slow_v6_stang said:
i currently have a surly singleator...but i might try this phantom gear setup thing...seems like a brilliant idea

here is another brilliant idea try not to shake the camera......