Quantcast

Your Hardtail/rigid/rubberband cross country rigs, lets see 'em

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
JRogers said:
Yes. Even a few years (1-2?) before the Pacific buyout, I believe they stared making the Homegrown HT models in solid colors, anodized gold (pimp as it gets) and ano black on the higher models, solid powder colors on the lower ones.

Oh, and I still love the black/gold.
Yeah I love yours with the gold it's very original, I used to love shwinn and wanted to buy one a few years ago but didn;t have the money for one than. Ever since the Pacific buyout they just seem different, cheap I guess. To bad they sold out cause the old ones like yours are just such perfect bikes, not a fan of Idrive but the Homegrowns are just soo perfect.

Edit: Opps I mean blues bike lol.

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
here is my old friend. there was so much ice/ snow in the bike it was unbelievable.
it's 94-95 rock hopper. does any one know how to find the exact year?

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
blue said:
Yeah, although the newer Homegrowns (2000-02) after the bankruptcy weren't nearly as nice...no longer made by Yeti, in fact, I think the lower level ones were made in Taiwan, making Homegrown sort of an oxymoron.

I want another. If I find another 99 Team or Factory, I'm snapping it up.
Just peruse ebay - always a slew of New Old Stock homegrowns available in various model years too.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
My Nail Trail SS-ified

The cromoly rigid fork looks so thin compared to the oversized AL downtube on this bike, but it was fun to get out and pedal the Nail Trail around a little bit tonight.

I'd love to replace the frame with something steel though. I just love the look of clean round steel tubing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
MMcG said:
Just peruse ebay - always a slew of New Old Stock homegrowns available in various model years too.
I actually scored mine of eBay for something like $175 (Unknowing that I'd picked up a pretty sweet Homegrown), but I've checked recently, and I can never find the size and model year I want...it's always the newere ones (00-02) or really old ones (97 or older), and the ones that are in the range I want (98-99) are always way too small, like 13" frames.

I may be selling my GT ID-XC frame and getting a Salsa Moto Rapido, that would pretty much eliminate any want I had for the Homegrown. Who knows.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
blue said:
I actually scored mine of eBay for something like $175 (Unknowing that I'd picked up a pretty sweet Homegrown), but I've checked recently, and I can never find the size and model year I want...it's always the newere ones (00-02) or really old ones (97 or older), and the ones that are in the range I want (98-99) are always way too small, like 13" frames.

I may be selling my GT ID-XC frame and getting a Salsa Moto Rapido, that would pretty much eliminate any want I had for the Homegrown. Who knows.

What is a Salsa Moto Rapido?? Hardtail or Full Squish?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The Moto Rapido:

Scandium with carbon stays...mmm...Although I think I may go for their new FS frame, the El Santo.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
CChase86 said:
The 2002 Homegrown Pro was made in the United States still, that's about as much as I know.
Hmm, didn't Schwinn move production to somewhere in Alabama after the sale of Yeti and bankruptcy?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
blue said:
Hmm, didn't Schwinn move production to somewhere in Alabama after the sale of Yeti and bankruptcy?
I didn;t know yeti was also sold! are they owned my PAcific also?

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
XC-ish if I put on my lighter fork and wheels.

Ok, I just wanted to post it, it will never be home to those lighter wheels.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
JMAC said:
I didn;t know yeti was also sold! are they owned my PAcific also?
No-This is what happened, to my knowledge:

-1996-1997ish: Schwinn decides it needs to "revitalize" their image, buys Yeti (Which has gone bankrupt) and (later on) GT.

1998: Schwinn has Yeti manufacture uber-high end frames, like the XC race frame Homegrown Factory and Team, and the Lawill based 4-Banger, Straight-6, and Straight-8 DH frames at their factory in Durango.

2000-02: Schwinn goes bankrupt after failing to keep costs down (IE, not moving production to Taiwan), builds new manufacturing plant somewhere in the south (I think Alabama). Yeti is bought back by its employees (With them goes the Lawill design). I believe somewhere in here, the Schwinn family lost control of the company.

2002: Schwinn is put up for sale by its creditors, bought by mass-market conglomerate Pacific Cycles, included in the sale is the GT brand. Schwinn is designated as the "entry level" brand, sold at Big Box merchandisers and their "high-end" models sold in IBDs (Independent Bicycle Distributor, aka, LBS), which are akin to low end models on other lines. GT is designated as the higher-end brand, with most of the R&D going there, with trickle down technology (IE, i-Drive) to the Schwinn line. All Schwinn and GT production moved to Pacific manufacturing facilities in both China and Taiwan.

2003: Schwinn and GT bikes go on sale as Pacific Cycle-manufactured products.

Someone return Schwinn and GT to their glory days...

While Pacific has kept the Schwinn and GT brands from going completely under, they effectively ruined both of the brand names to the "bicycle enthusiast" crowd, and they also offer little dealer protection at all (The big-box next door might start selling your bikes at half the cost...). Most of the Schwinn stuff and lower end GT bikes are made in China, with great sacrifices in quality. The Taiwan manufactured bikes seem to be on par with everything else coming out of there. I ride on GT's top of the line FS XC bike (04 IDXC), it's a really really nice bike/frame, but I'm not proud of riding a GT...you could even say I'm somewhat ashamed of riding a Pacific. :nopity:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
blue said:
No-This is what happened, to my knowledge:

-1996-1997ish: Schwinn decides it needs to "revitalize" their image, buys Yeti (Which has gone bankrupt) and (later on) GT.

1998: Schwinn has Yeti manufacture uber-high end frames, like the XC race frame Homegrown Factory and Team, and the Lawill based 4-Banger, Straight-6, and Straight-8 DH frames at their factory in Durango.

2000-02: Schwinn goes bankrupt after failing to keep costs down (IE, not moving production to Taiwan), builds new manufacturing plant somewhere in the south (I think Alabama). Yeti is bought back by its employees (With them goes the Lawill design). I believe somewhere in here, the Schwinn family lost control of the company.

2002: Schwinn is put up for sale by its creditors, bought by mass-market conglomerate Pacific Cycles, included in the sale is the GT brand. Schwinn is designated as the "entry level" brand, sold at Big Box merchandisers and their "high-end" models sold in IBDs (Independent Bicycle Distributor, aka, LBS), which are akin to low end models on other lines. GT is designated as the higher-end brand, with most of the R&D going there, with trickle down technology (IE, i-Drive) to the Schwinn line. All Schwinn and GT production moved to Pacific manufacturing facilities in both China and Taiwan.

2003: Schwinn and GT bikes go on sale as Pacific Cycle-manufactured products.

Someone return Schwinn and GT to their glory days...

While Pacific has kept the Schwinn and GT brands from going completely under, they effectively ruined both of the brand names to the "bicycle enthusiast" crowd, and they also offer little dealer protection at all (The big-box next door might start selling your bikes at half the cost...). Most of the Schwinn stuff and lower end GT bikes are made in China, with great sacrifices in quality. The Taiwan manufactured bikes seem to be on par with everything else coming out of there. I ride on GT's top of the line FS XC bike (04 IDXC), it's a really really nice bike/frame, but I'm not proud of riding a GT...you could even say I'm somewhat ashamed of riding a Pacific. :nopity:

Thanks for the quik summary, I didn;t know half that stuff. Yeah to go with your last sentance I'm the same way, I have pride riding a bike thats made just an hours drive away, and I know the person who handcrafted my bike to my specs. It's doesn;t get much better than that but anything that is made in north america, -weather it's better or not compaired to asian stuff-, it just makes you feel more connected with your bike, like your closer to it. It's weird but I think it's true. I ride a Giant TCR 2 road bike, made in Taiwan of course and well it was great but now the frame is getting warrentied after I discovered a crack. I just don;t have the same love for this bike as I do for my custom mt bike, :drool: maybe it's cause it has my name on it :o: .

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
MMcG said:
My Nail Trail SS-ified
That is beautiful... 02 model, right? I got me an 05 Bobcat Trail at the 04 price at my LBS thanks to a lack of my size in the 04 :D The Nail is beautidul, just way outta my price range.

I prefer the newer colour scheme though, don't really like the two-tone

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Darkreaper said:
That is beautiful... 02 model, right? I got me an 05 Bobcat Trail at the 04 price at my LBS thanks to a lack of my size in the 04 :D The Nail is beautidul, just way outta my price range.

I prefer the newer colour scheme though, don't really like the two-tone

I hate the paint on my frame - but at the time it had the better parts spec on it and it was in my budget. The frame is pretty damned ugly however.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
JMAC said:
Thanks for the quik summary, I didn;t know half that stuff. Yeah to go with your last sentance I'm the same way, I have pride riding a bike thats made just an hours drive away, and I know the person who handcrafted my bike to my specs. It's doesn;t get much better than that but anything that is made in north america, -weather it's better or not compaired to asian stuff-, it just makes you feel more connected with your bike, like your closer to it. It's weird but I think it's true. I ride a Giant TCR 2 road bike, made in Taiwan of course and well it was great but now the frame is getting warrentied after I discovered a crack. I just don;t have the same love for this bike as I do for my custom mt bike, :drool: maybe it's cause it has my name on it :o: .
THe whole schwinn thing sucks its the entity of big business dropping the competition of local bike shops. I had straight six new in 01 great first fs bike...got my $$ worth.

Wal Mart/Whatever sell so many bicycles compared to lbs its rediculous.
most people ( average non cyclists mom and dad )
dont need a sick bike. at the most they something 300 dollars maybe a little more maybe less...
but dropping a walmart price vs a bike shop price with no knowledge of quality/service the schwinn names sells its self if the low price does not.

Yeah its sick to have a bike that made in the USA (my 1998m2 stumpjumper )or made close to where you live and ride but a no doubt warranty is awesome for such a large investment and unfortunatly larger companies can afford to warranty just about everything cause they get it made overseas for $X less.

oh yeah ahahahahmmmmmmm schwinn homegrown...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My 1997 Lightspeed Ocoee. My swiss army knife hardtail. Spends part time as a single speed, part time geared MTB and sometimes I throw slicks on it and use it as a long haul road bike for centuries. Has custom downtube graphics.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Most recent build pics.. Still need brake/shifter cables and a chain, but other than that she's ready to rock.

FRAMESET:

FRAME: 18" Alpha SL Aluminum. Oversized power tubes. Bi-axial downtube. Wishbone monostay. Replaceable derailleur hanger.
COLOR: Blue/Silver/Black

FORK: ’03 Manitou Skareb Super, 80mm travel, Air-Coil Spring, TPC Dampening, Lockout, Hollow crown, RA Casting.

WHEELS:
WHEELS: WTB Speedmaster rims with WTB Speed C2 Hubs
TIRES: Kenda Karma DTC 2.0’s F&R

COMPONENTS:

BRAKESET: SRAM SD-3 V-Brakes with SD-7 Levers
SHIFTERS: Shimano XT
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano LX
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT
CRANKSET: ’04 Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech Octalink
HANDLEBARS: Profile Designs Carbon Solar RS
STEM: Thompson Elite 110mm x 5°
HEADSET: Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Pro
CASSETTE: SRAM 970 11-32, 9spd
SADDLE: SDG Launchpad
SEATPOST: Rock Shox Suspension post

OTHER:
PEDALS: Shimano M-505 Clipless
BOTTLE CAGE: Blackburn Aluminum

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MMcG said:
The Trek looks good Tigg! :thumb:
Thanks. I'm liking the build, now maybe I can just find a half-way decent frame to move it over to. It'll have to do for now though since I'm selling the Dawg. Hopefully I'll be on something new by the Dalton race, otherwise the Trek will be the 24hour weapon of choice.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

The current beater XC bike...
Giant XTC frame
01 Sid Race
Deal alu post
SLR
Sqaure taper Next lp's with 110mm taperlock ti bb
RF 34/42 rings
Sram hollowpin chain
'99 med cage 9.0sl rd
Xtr v's
king/517 revo wheels with 1.9 twister pro's
xtr m950 fd
sram 11-32 casette
Ea50 stem, monkey lite bars
x7 shifters, avid sd5 levers
Atacs to be replaced by Candy sl's

20.5 lbs.

Tomrrow afternoon the Sid is getting a new dual air assembly to move it up to 80mm to better work with the geometry of the frame, I'm also swapping out the stem to a WCS.

Later this summer if i find I actually start racing XC again this thing is going to get shelved for something a little more suitable to new england racing, probally something made in NH, out of 6061, with 4" of travel at each end, disc brakes and 3 chain rings. It'll also probally have more liberal useage of Carbon and Ti, and still weigh 4 pounds more...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
McGRP01 said:
Most recent build pics.. Still need brake/shifter cables and a chain, but other than that she's ready to rock.

FRAMESET:

FRAME: 18" Alpha SL Aluminum. Oversized power tubes. Bi-axial downtube. Wishbone monostay. Replaceable derailleur hanger.
COLOR: Blue/Silver/Black

FORK: ’03 Manitou Skareb Super, 80mm travel, Air-Coil Spring, TPC Dampening, Lockout, Hollow crown, RA Casting.

WHEELS:
WHEELS: WTB Speedmaster rims with WTB Speed C2 Hubs
TIRES: Kenda Karma DTC 2.0’s F&R

COMPONENTS:

BRAKESET: SRAM SD-3 V-Brakes with SD-7 Levers
SHIFTERS: Shimano XT
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano LX
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT
CRANKSET: ’04 Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech Octalink
HANDLEBARS: Profile Designs Carbon Solar RS
STEM: Thompson Elite 110mm x 5°
HEADSET: Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Pro
CASSETTE: SRAM 970 11-32, 9spd
SADDLE: SDG Launchpad
SEATPOST: Rock Shox Suspension post

OTHER:
PEDALS: Shimano M-505 Clipless
BOTTLE CAGE: Blackburn Aluminum
nice, wumpus wants his purple bianchi back :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jamis dragon - 853
Hellion ti hb
Moot's ti seatpost
christ king bottle cages
king hubs on 517's
xt parts
z2 race fork

the fork is toasted i need to replace that, terry fly saddle and avid s/d TI brakes would round this bad boi out.

oh and it has little purple cable end thingys that almost look red when you ignore the fact that thier purple.

J

JRB

The Toninator said:
jamis dragon - 853
Hellion ti hb
Moot's ti seatpost
christ king bottle cages
king hubs on 517's
xt parts
z2 race fork

the fork is toasted i need to replace that, terry fly saddle and avid s/d TI brakes would round this bad boi out.

oh and it has little purple cable end thingys that almost look red when you ignore the fact that thier purple.

I never knew you were a man of the cloth. :think:

kennyo

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
Charlotte
Here's my 95 Barracuda A2R Steel frame with a Showa Avitar front suspension. Just went clipless and put on the riser bar to help out with back aches after riding. This sucker has been through some serious crashes and still rides great. Too bad Barracuda went out of business. :(

Attachments

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
2005 Jamis Dakota XC

Steel frame, lots of XT, avid bb7 discs. Added a thomson post, ritchey WCS bar ends and Shimano md540 pedals.