Quantcast

Your Hardtail/rigid/rubberband cross country rigs, lets see 'em

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Nice to see the "no horses" and "bikes okay" signs. We need more trails exclusive to bikes. Horses will ruin a trail far worse than mountain bikes, and bikes dont crap out huge piles all over the place.

Check your spelling JMAC... "deasant".. I dont think so grammar hater.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
As cross-country as I'm gonna get. This is proving to be an awesome trailbike. Everything's really light aside from the frame and the DH tires (and the handlebars, I suppose). Would maybe like something 20mm-ish up front (convertible hubs rule) like the Fox 36, but cost-wise, am also looking at the Marzo all-mtns (wonder if they're any stiffer, being QR?) and the Pikes. However, the current TALAS is pretty damned stiff for its weight, so I'm not all broken up about it... And if/when the XC rims die, I'll get the DH tubeless ones, at least for the back. Only 100g or so more per wheel.

Chainstays are set at 16", long frame with 70mm stem, and it climbs pretty well. Geared 36/22x11-30 8spd with a DRS guide. Get full leg extension if I need it, and it's great in the techy stuff. The feel of steel? Forget it...it's a stiff bike!!! In my opinion...the Evil guys say otherwise. But I like a stiff bike, so I don't sweat it. Flex sucks.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Mine. 04 Peyto Cycles "Wild Bill" frame; True Temper Platinum OX and Columbus tubing mix. 05 RS Pike Team fork. Avid mech discs pulled with Paul levers. King rear/Hope Bulb front 20mm with Mavic 719 hoops. Titec ti stem/post, Azonic DW bar, SRAM mechs/shifters (though an old Suntour XC Pro thumbshifter runs the front mech) Rogue lock ons, generic ti rail seat. Race Face Ti BB, Cook Bros. E-crank, Salsa bashring. Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 front, WTB Motoraptor 2.4 rear. 28 pounds of light but tough mixture. Woooonderul on everything. The "daily driver" ride for about 3/4 of my on bike time.

With about a 69 degree head angle, it isn't an XC race bike, but with the fork dialled down, and some lighter stuff on it, it could easily be raced. It'd still be fun at least. Rocks on everything. I can slam the seat way down for descents/super tech/urban stuff, and can fit up to a 2.7" tire in back. Doable up to a 7" DC fork if I want as well.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
finally got er build. mostly XT with Xtr rear. kings on 517's. carbon riser. thompson and fly ti. egg beaters. Fox RLT Fox RP3. Avid Ti.

After only an hour i have deduced that it is exaclty everything everybody claims about it.

Smooth ride
no bob at all
fast feels like my hard tail
bad ass xc kung fu ninja frame

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Phaedrus said:
Couldn't resist postin' my HT.

It's a couple of years old now so it's no longer sportin' the latest wizzo-bango components, but it's super light and climbs like a billy-goat...

:thumb:

That there is one nice looking Rocky Mountain hardtail!!! :thumb: :cool:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise

Giant XC frame
****ty temp RST fork
X-9 triggers
Sram front derail
X-7 rear
Mid sram cassette and chain
Truvativ Firex cranks
Mavic 223 wheels with deore hubs

Ah, now I can finally pedal uphill

Jul 5, 2005
ianmitch said:
cheers guys. what do you mean about the brakes? v-brakes in general? or where they are on the forks?
pace say that brakes should be on the back of the fork legs, as under braking the brakes are forced harder on to the rims rather than away from them. plus it looks different!
How is that fork holding up for you? i'm considering picking one up but i'm not sure if it'll hold up for me.