Quantcast

Your medical records online via GoogleHealth.. yea or nay?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:???

Google makes health service publicly available
Monday May 19, 4:31 pm ET
Google makes public service that gives consumers electronic medical record access

NEW YORK (AP) -- Google Inc. is now offering the general public electronic access to their medical records and other health-related information.
The Mountain View, Calif.-based Web search leader announced the public launch of Google Health during a Webcast on Monday. It lets users import records from a variety of care providers and pharmacies.

Google tested the service by storing medical records for a few thousand patient volunteers at the not-for-profit Cleveland Clinic.

"It's a really exciting day for us. We're really happy to be able to offer this service to all our users," Marissa Mayer, the Google executive overseeing the health project, said in the Webcast.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I wonder how much is available while still being HIPAA compliant and I wonder if companies like Kaiser Permanente will be forced to hand over medical records.

Personally I don't like the idea of a company like Google having access to my medical records

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:???
:thumb: :thumb:

as Ciaran said it must adhere to HIPAA rules, but it's a great idea. hopefully it will also foster more interoperability between the myriad medical record systems out there, too.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
with this kind of convenience, i can more easily apply to get my va disability check.

would we get meds through google labs?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Thumbs down.
Far to open to abuse or government snooping.

Yes Google is currently secure and well intentioned.
Will they stay that way?
It is a private business that can be brought and sold, what will future owners be like if they smell a quick buck or a government agency plays the bully boy?

Nice idea but far too flawed in regards to FUTURE privacy for my tastes.

Last edited: