Quantcast

Your most-hated recurring injury?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Seems like the same injuries pop up again and again. Shredded shins, faceplants, tweaked wrists. Which injury do you hate the most?

Mine is going down on the shoulder/face on a washout. Happens so fast you don't have time to get your hands out and if you separate your shoulder, you are in for a world of hurt.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I also hate the front tire washout. Almost always comes without warning and, it always results in the human lawn dart effect and at least one dislocated shoulder. Luckily my shoulders usually pop back in, but it kills for about a week.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I have tendonitis in both middle fingers. The meaty part between the first 2 knuckles, on the palm side, is really tender all the time. And it's just from riding, not crashing. It's not a huge amount of pain, but it's enough that I really don't want to bother with bunnyhopping anything... it hurts to squeeze the bars that hard. It's a bummer because it's always there. I might get steroids injected into them, but I don't want to ruin my music career.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
Earlier this season I hit my wrist incredibly hard, maybe broke something, definitely sprained something too. Now if I lightly tap it off the ground, I'm done for the day, maybe the week. Then later on this season I did the same thing (to a lesser degree) to the other wrist. I also popped my shoulder out good, and that looks like it might haunt me for a while.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Twisting my left knee about 5 months back riding street, now every month or two I land on it wrong. Just got back from a Dh race in Boone and its swollen to the size of a grapefruit, slick ass jumps ftl.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
blew my entire acl and went non-surgical route with a custom knee brace. Doesn't prevent twisting so every now and then I fly off my bike and land on my left foot with a nice twist. Knee swells up real nice keeping me off my bike for about a week easy.

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
my right knee is f-ing toast. tore my acl in highschool and it has been done ever since.
if i ride very hard it will be swolen for a few days and tender, cant bend it all the way back. for some reason it dosent hurt when im riding only when im walking after i ride. im gonna be an old man who cant walk at all.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Hands, not from riding, from digging. The rocks.... oh the f'in rocks. . . . I've thought of moving to Maryland to get away from the rocks. . . .

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
dumb falls for me, just broke my left wrist and fractured/dislocated right elbow riding at the trails by myself on sunday (too eager to ride in slow conditions)

i am sure this wrist thing will pop up again... boo

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Earlier this season I hit my wrist incredibly hard, maybe broke something, definitely sprained something too. Now if I lightly tap it off the ground, I'm done for the day, maybe the week. Then later on this season I did the same thing (to a lesser degree) to the other wrist. I also popped my shoulder out good, and that looks like it might haunt me for a while.
Get your ass to the doctor if the pain is at the base of your thumb. If you break the scaphoid, it can decay due to the loss of blood supply. Then you have a permanently trashed wrist.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Damn... you guys are the walking wounded. I've been pretty lucky in my riding years, knock on wood. Couple of gnarly slams that have given me scars, stitches, broken bones, concussions, and what not. My knees were getting terrible when I was playing basketball a lot... but, the bike seems to keep them nice. I just hope I can say the same 5 to 10 years from now!!!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Right knee is destroyed. Comes out every now and then during a race but used to it now.

Previous injury well before I started DH though.

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
Damn... you guys are the walking wounded. I've been pretty lucky in my riding years, knock on wood. Couple of gnarly slams that have given me scars, stitches, broken bones, concussions, and what not. My knees were getting terrible when I was playing basketball a lot... but, the bike seems to keep them nice. I just hope I can say the same 5 to 10 years from now!!!
you need to knock on cok that you dont get a knee problem, mine has been swollen for about a month straight!!! but it wont keep me off the bike

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
any of yall ever feel like your lower back is compressed due to jumping all the time? i won't say it's just cuz i'm old cuz i used to tweak my back in my early 20's too !!

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
head, shoulders, knees and toes. knees and toes.

I've been lucky to never have dislocated or broken anything. The only thing that gets me is pedal slips and the resulting gouges in my shins from the pins.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
any of yall ever feel like your lower back is compressed due to jumping all the time? i won't say it's just cuz i'm old cuz i used to tweak my back in my early 20's too !!
My back hurts all the time pretty much due to riding and digging, mostly my lower back but recently my upper back has been hurting alot too. Sh1t sucks and I'm only 20 so I already know my body is going to be raped when Im older..

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
annoying- cutting ankle on crankarm, never really heals
very annoying- spraining ankle(15 times?):mad: dont ride bmx as hard as i used to so those have gotten less frequent
serious- KO'd(5 times)

breaking bones is the most annoying by far tho due to the hospital crap, downtime from riding and lost wages from not going to work. last may it was my elbow getting shattered.

Jeromev

Chimp
Jun 16, 2009
Long Island
Ankle, every morning I have to move it around to loosen it up and it creaks and cracks like old floor boards, damn skateboarding.

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
I ride carefully enough (meaning I have the skill but not the courage to ride big stuff) that I rarely take big slams, but I keep getting this recurring problem with my forearms. I get numbness/weakness/shooting pains in my forearms when I squeeze the bars. I think this latest round is from the repeated shock from tamping out a new line. I'm dosing on ibuprofen, and I bought some padded work gloves.