Quantcast

Your opinions on '04 FSR

calidan

Chimp
May 26, 2004
northern california
I've been on the same hardtail since I was in high school (bike is 'bout 10 years old now). I've waited way too long to upgrade, but I think its time now.

I'm looking at getting an '04 Stumpjumper FSR, probably the "Elite Disc" model. Any positive/negative opinions on the FSR's? I chose specialized b/c I have always liked the way they ride, they seem to fit me well.

TIA. by the way I like to do XC riding with the occasional DH.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by calidan
I've been on the same hardtail since I was in high school (bike is 'bout 10 years old now). I've waited way too long to upgrade, but I think its time now.

I'm looking at getting an '04 Stumpjumper FSR, probably the "Elite Disc" model. Any positive/negative opinions on the FSR's? I chose specialized b/c I have always liked the way they ride, they seem to fit me well.

TIA. by the way I like to do XC riding with the occasional DH.
I've usually been more budget minded in my purchases, as specialized bikes generally cost a little more than the comparable bike from another brand. Other bikes I'd suggest are the Iron Horse Hollowpoint, they've got the cool DW link which is supposed to be a better pedaler than a horst link. Also the Jamis Dakar has the same type of linkage as the Stumpjumper but should cost a little bit less. Other than that if you really like the fit and feel of the specialized there's nothing really wrong with any of them. If this is your first suspension bike anything will be better, in ten years your next bike will be better than anything out today too.

If you're totally boggled by the FSR vs other types of suspension linkages I'd say the FSR is a pretty straight forward proven design. Look at the high end bikes like turner, titus, intense they all use the same design as the FSR or something very close.

Dirt Knap

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Wisconsin
drtbikrr said:
I got a 02 Enduro Pro and it takes a beating, doesn't break too much under my excessive weight, I love it, my next bike is deffinetly gonna be a 4 bar type.
I've also got a 02 Enduro. I ride heavy trail, cross country and a little street. It's taken everything I threw at it so far. The FSR is really efficient design. I think you'll be happy with it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Also the Jamis Dakar has the same type of linkage as the Stumpjumper but should cost a little bit less.
In 2003 it was... 2004s are linkage activated single pivots with SPV/propedal shocks - no more horst links on Dakars.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
WestCoastHucker said:
i had one too, her headtube fell off.... lasted me like 4 months, not an abuse oriented bike in the least.

I rode xc on one for 2 years and now use it for this. It gets some serious abuse both with and without me attatched. Still going strong on the front triangle. The chainstays were a problem.

About the 04 stumpjumpers. I work at a specialized shop and took one of thse for a short ride a few weeks ago. Rides like a solid lightweight xc bike, much better than previous years fsrs. I would buy one just for how incredibly clean the bike looks. It's got my reccomendation.

Jun 17, 2004
Florida
I bought my wife a Stumpjumper Pro Disc and she loves it. It's a very light full suspension that is great for xc and trails but I wouldn't recommend it for DH. I own an Enduro w/FSR and love the way it handles and feels. :thumb: