Quantcast

Your papers, please...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Maybe they can't taze in the rain.

seriously though,

In October, 2001, he was held up at a checkpoint at Jackson County Exposition Center in Oregon as he attempted to get into the backstage area of his own concert, according to the Associated Press.
Bob's got a fetish!!!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What involving a cop doesn't piss Silver off?
he's mad his cock has never been mistaken for a weapon by a cop?

i wonder if manimal has ever grabbed a handful by mistake?

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's exactly what happened in this story. Cops get a call, cops respond, cops and citizens involved deal with situation in a professional manner. Yet Silver's theorizing about taserings.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
She'd have performed an investigative detention in accordance with the Constitution, based on reasonable suspicion. (Or gone bonkers...maybe she's secretly a psycho...)

If someone resists such detention, the cops can use force to effect it.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm actually gonna defend Silver on this. Lets be honest, Bob's not looking so great these days and bears a strinking resemblense to a schizo homeless person. Out in the rain wandering around, if hed gotten the slightest bit agitated, I would of tazed his ass.

C'mon tell me he dosn't look like a crazy homeless person:

I say Taze him!

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's it. I've had it. Tasings for everyone. Tase 'em in the morning, tase 'em in the evening, tase 'em at suppertime.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's exactly what happened in this story. Cops get a call, cops respond, cops and citizens involved deal with situation in a professional manner. Yet Silver's theorizing about taserings.
Heh.

I was a few deep when I got home from a party last night. I responded to this thinking this was the chunky lady getting tased thread. :rofl:

Oops.

I still hold that I'd be pissed all the time about living in orange county when I could be in canada though.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You're aware that you don't actually have to carry ID in this country, right?

(I do, actually, but I don't, because I'm white...if I was hispanic, you bet your ass I'd have my green card stapled to my ass.)

edit:
I'm not actually accusing this cop of anything, by the way. It's a thought experiment, not a bitch about this particular incident. I do find it interesting that not one person finds it reasonable to argue that "He may have been tazed if he had gotten violent, but surely not for asserting his constitutional right to walk in the rain."

And Scalia would argue that since there actually isn't any specfic mention of walking in the rain in the constitution, there's no right to it anyways.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
No federal ID laws. There ARE some local and state laws which make it compulsory to show ID to an officer who demands it. Never having worked local and not being familiar with every jurisdiction in the US, I can't say whether they applied here or what's specifically required under the various statutes. ("Stop and Identify" statutes, I've heard them called...)

In any case, if you don't have ID or aren't willing to show it, or offer some other verification of who you are, you've probably also lengthened the time of reasonableness for your investigative detention...figuring out who you are/claim to be is likely to be one of the goals of the stop.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You're australian right?

Means you can work/live in candada, the UK, australia.........pretty much anywhere england has pillaged in the past.

It's my american dream.
Well you can get working holiday visas for those countries as well as for a host of other non-commonwealth countries but I can't just up and decide to go and live in Canada if I wanted too. The only country where I, as an Australian can do that is New Zealand as there's free migration between Australia and New Zealand.
As a semi-related aside I believe Australian, as a result of a bi-lateral agreement can quite easily get ex-pat type work visas for America so as is the nature of these bi-lateral agreements Americans are probably allowed to go to Australia. From the US embassy web-site;
What is an E-3 Visa?

The E-3 is a new visa category only for Australians going to the U.S. to work temporarily in a specialty occupation.
Who qualifies for the E-3 visa?

The new E-3 visa classification currently applies only to nationals of Australia as well as their spouses and children. E-3 principal applicants must be going to the United States solely to work in a specialty occupation. The spouse and children need not be Australian citizens. However the U.S. does not recognize De Facto relationships or same-sex Civil Partnerships for the purposes of immigration, and to qualify as a spouse you will need a marriage certificate from the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
As a semi-related aside I believe Australian, as a result of a bi-lateral agreement can quite easily get ex-pat type work visas for America so as is the nature of these bi-lateral agreements Americans are probably allowed to go to Australia. From the US embassy web-site;
NZ only grants work visas to US citizens in fields they deem in demand (I got one a few years ago). I have a friend from Canada and she wanted a working visa for the US and it was similar - only certain fields qualified. She got a master recently and has just moved to the US on a work visa.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
NZ only grants work visas to US citizens in fields they deem in demand (I got one a few years ago). I have a friend from Canada and she wanted a working visa for the US and it was similar - only certain fields qualified. She got a master recently and has just moved to the US on a work visa.
I think it works pretty much the same way in most countries (OECD ones anyway). I think us English speaking types can generally move around each others countries easier than other more swarthy, heathen-tounged types so Kidwoo is right in that respect.
It is, though, an absolute travesty that you Americans don't participate in working holiday visa programs. Christ, even round eye hating Japan has one.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its a bit easier for between certain countries which was the "commonwealth status" point.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Its a bit easier for between certain countries which was the "commonwealth status" point.
Well the Commonwealth is a pretty bloody big organisation but certainly in the Anglo-centric commonwealth it's easier. BTW, you Yanks are probably eligible to join the Commonwealth if you want. Send in your submission and we'll be in touch.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
r. BTW, you Yanks are probably eligible to join the Commonwealth if you want. Send in your submission and we'll be in touch.
Should we have the honour to submit, what colour stationery would be appropriate?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah but who the fvck wants to live in australia?

I want a cabin in the middle of nowhere in the coastal range of British Columbia.

I don't have enough 'points'.

I know how to make meth though. That's gotta count for something right?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah but who the fvck wants to live in australia?

I want a cabin in the middle of nowhere in the coastal range of British Columbia.

I don't have enough 'points'.

I know how to make meth though. That's gotta count for something right?
Dude, if I wasn't already married...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

Where do you go to see if your field is in demand? Im sure fish biologists are like The Beatles down there.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
the NZ immigration authority's website had it all, as I recall. Of course, there was no need for ex-jugheads without social skills. (Although I held out hope that the NZ Army might be in need of trainers or subject-matter experts on LAV employment, considering they just purchased the damned things...alas, alas.)

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I spent a year in NZ on a working holiday program. They allow a certain number of US citizens but there are some qualifications. I think you have to be under 32 - can't remember what else.

What's funny is that people can't cross the borders but businesses can. For instance, I have 5+ years of entrepreneurial experience. If I score $100k of working capital, I should be able to go to any of the "commonwealth" countries on a Long Term Business Visa.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What's funny is that people can't cross the borders but businesses can. For instance, I have 5+ years of entrepreneurial experience. If I score $100k of working capital, I should be able to go to any of the "commonwealth" countries on a Long Term Business Visa.
Not funny at all. Free trade works great for business when capital is free to move but labor is not.

The worker takes it up the ass, of course...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I think it works pretty much the same way in most countries (OECD ones anyway). I think us English speaking types can generally move around each others countries easier than other more swarthy, heathen-tounged types so Kidwoo is right in that respect..
But there are exceptions to the rule.... For instance, as an English speaking educated male from New Zealand I don't qualify to live and work in England, but I qualify to do so in Germany??????? :think: