Quantcast

Yukon OK MTB/BMX Skills Park

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
Some Progress
It was an exciting weekend at the Yukon Bike Park with a lot of work getting accomplished. Over the weekend we completed Oklahoma’s first, always open to the public, pump track. This Clifton Sisk designed pump track with corner re-engineering input from Ray DeLong is a double oval design that has more line options than I can count. The track still needs to be grooved in and packed a little more, but from the get go you could tell it was going to be fast, and a lot of fun. The best part, it is open to the public anytime except when it is muddy.
Work on the mountain bike trail began as well. Three huge logs were lined up creating around a 30 foot or so skinny or log ride. There is dirt on either side so if you lose your balance you can ride off of it no problem. There is an additional 12 foot log skinny, an up and over wood feature, a huge berm, and a couple of large dirt rollers.
Future work plans including a table top dirt jump line, a wall ride, and adding more features and obstacles to the mountain bike trail will hopefully take place this year. Please check the forum at freerideoklahoma.com periodically for updates on the next work date (at least a couple of weeks away I imagine).
Finally I would like to say thank you to everyone that made this possible. Thank you to Bob and Kelle Freels, Larry Anlauf, Kristi McCloskey, and Tori Sills who are the track operators and board members. A special thanks to Valerie Boudreaux (board member) for working with us from the beginning on getting this going, and a special thanks to Sean McGillicuddy (president of the board) for working with us to get started, and for operating the bobcat all day Saturday and all day Sunday. I would also like to thank all of the volunteers that showed up Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday we had a lot of help from the bmx community. I am not sure of everyone’s name, so I will just say thank you to everyone who stayed and helped after the races, it was greatly appreciated. On Sunday the mountain bike community showed up in a big way. All the way from Tulsa Steve and David showed up to lend a hand. From the local area we had two thirds of the DeLong family (Ray and Riley), Brandon, Chris O., and a handful of other people that I can’t remember the names of (I should really start carrying a note pad). Finally, I big big thanks to Clifton Sisk who designed the trails, raked a thousand tons of dirt out, and hauled giant logs all over town, good work!
It was awesome to see so many people from the bmx and the mountain bike community showing up to help out. To be frank with you I was a little skeptical of a mountain bike park in a flat field. Now, though, I see a lot of potential and I am very excited about the future.

FormulaX said:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what yall are doing is awesome. you are out there building shlt where nothing was before.

if i may make one suggestion (at my spot, suggestions are allowed only when shovel is in hand....so believe me i would be out there digging with yall if i could)

eliminate all flat space. make sure that for every up curve there is an opposite down curve--a wave pattern. normally people dig pits...but you don't have to if you raise everything up... no flat space!! (marked in red). it's a small modification but you will feel a TON of difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: