Quantcast

Yum! I'm a mulled wine convert!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MizN8 and I hosted some of our biking buddies at our place Sat night and along with the steaks, smashed taters, yadda, yadda... we have a couple bottles of mulled wine (Christkindl Glühwein.) which one of our friends brought to share.

They purchased it at the Class 6 store. It is from Germany and it was damn good! I never had hot wine before but I am a convert.

CHRISTKINDL'S GLÜHWEIN

The historical Bavarian city of Nürnberg is known the world over for its famous Christkindl's Market, and for its traditional drink, Glühwein, or "Glow Wine".
Christkindl's Glühwein is a type of mulled-wine which still today is produced according to old-world tradition.

A delicious combination of red wine, sugar and selected spices, Christkindl's Glühwein is ready to drink; simply heat (do not boil) to enjoy. Christkindl's Glühwein is a special treat on a cold day or any day. It is also excellent when served over ice.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Mulled wine rocks.

Ever had a nice honey mead? (While we're on the subject of medieval and older drinks)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not a big fan of mulled wine but I've never tried any from Germany. Don't really like lots of spices in my wine and I don't like it hot. So bah humbug. :D

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
Not a big fan of mulled wine but I've never tried any from Germany. Don't really like lots of spices in my wine and I don't like it hot. So bah humbug. :D
that's not very festive, now is it?

i on the other hand dig the mulled wine. i've never purchased it w/ the spices already in it... i just take an inexpensive wine and just heat it up and add the spices. very wintery.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Um, just FYI....real gluhwein is NOT just wine, oir not supposed to be.

TRUE German gluhwein, the kind served in the street fairs (Nordhausen area is where I've experienced this) is a mix of wine and other liquors (primarily brandy). About 2 glasses and you're staying the night.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
H8R said:
You need to find better mead.
I would second that. Mead should smell strong, but go down smooooooooooooooooooooooth with a hint of honey sweetness. :drool:

Mulled wine seems to work best at holidy parties.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
then it's settled. i'll head down to Joe's House of Mead after work tonight and browse their voluminous selection. :dancing: :D
There is a sever shortage of mead in this country.

With the exception of the bottle we found in Ireland all the mead I have tried has been home made.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
I would second that. Mead should smell strong, but go down smooooooooooooooooooooooth with a hint of honey sweetness. :drool:

Mulled wine seems to work best at holidy parties.
Like a very honey-esque desert wine. Kinda like a Gevurtstramiener (sp??) on steroids.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OGRipper said:
Scrooge here again.

Keep your damn potpourri out of my wine!! :mumble:

:p
It's all just sour grapes anyway. Now BEER. There's a drink! Wine's too foo foo. :p

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
amydalayna said:
poo poo on you. i'm not saying i don't dig the beer, but i prefer a tasty glass of port after dinner any day.
mmmmmm. port.

Mm... MD 20/20....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
amydalayna said:
poo poo on you. i'm not saying i don't dig the beer, but i prefer a tasty glass of port after dinner any day.
mmmmmm. port.
I have tried and tried to like wine. I would love to be able to take the wife to a romantic dinner and share a bottle of wine. Beer just doesn't have that romantic touch that wine does... but try as I might the only time I was able to drink wine was when a friend and I wanted to get drunk bad and the only thing her parents had was wine. We poured it over ice and it was drinkable. :D

For some reason I just don't like wine.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
We had a bum wine party out here this weekend. It was pretty ugly. That stuff gave me a full day hangover, and I was one of the more "moderate" drinkers at this event. We had MD 20/20, Night Train, Cisco, Thunderbird, all the classics. I would say a third of the people at the party threw up before the night was over, and another third was blacked out by 10:30. That stuff just ruins you. One of my buddies woke up wearing only one sock and his boxers, and still cant find the rest of his clothes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
JBP's post reminded me of this thread. i had some gl&#246;gi last week in finland, and it was a-ok.

here's a recipe if anyone wants to give it a try:

Agnostica gl&#246;gi
1 bottle red wine
2-3 tablespoons Madeira (optional)
1/2 cup raw sugar, or to taste
1/3 cup raisins
2-3 sticks cinnamon (break them for more flavor)
5-6 whole cloves
peelings of 1 orange
1/4 cup blanched, slivered almonds
1/4 cup vodka or rum to spike it up (optional, but encouraged)

In a large kettle, combine all the ingredients except the vodka (or rum). Heat slowly, until the drink is steaming hot. Stir every now and then, and taste with a spoon whenever you feel like it. Do not let the drink get even close to boiling. Just keep it warm. Before serving, add vodka/rum if you wish. Servings: 1 to 6.

Raisins and almonds should be served in the bottom of each glass. You can add them last if it's easier.