Quantcast

Z1 2003 dropoff questions

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

I got a 2003 Z1 dropoff fork. The fork has seen around of 10hrs of offroad use and maybe another 5hrs of road. All 15hrs were on DRY conditions so the fork is dead clean. My problem is that the manual of the fork is so crap, no service instructions, no suggested oil levels and no other overhaul instructions. My previous fork was a manitou Axel Elite 100mm, it may have been a crap of a fork in comparison with the Z1 but the manual gave complete instructions on how to break the fork down to bolts and pieces and how to built it back. I am into DIY mentainance myself and i am interested to know where i can find a descent service instructions manual for 2003 Z1 forks. Complete overhaul schematics, suggested oil levels and weights, etc etc. I have tried marzocchi site but it has only the manual i have on pdf form.I also contacted marzocchi and they simply told me to go to a service center to check oil etc etc and that they couldnt give me a manual. :(. I bought marzocchi because everyone told me that if i am able to overhaul manitous then marzocchis should be a lot easier to service and overhaul myself. Any ideas?

Thanks .
Yannis.

BTW should i change the oil now? After 15hrs of riding? I heard some people telling me to remove the stock oil before the 100hrs mark.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Zoke forks are a breeze to service.

I would recommend changing the oil now, your first oil change with a zoke will be nasty. Your seal life will improve if you change your oil shortly after break in.

For disassembly, remove the preload adjusters first, remove the c-clip from the cartridges, unscrew the top caps, remove springs. Check the oil level BEFORE you drain it out, and replace it with the same level, maybe with 5mm extra (if your having bottoming isues). Drain the oil from the fork as good as you can with the cartridges still in the fork. Break the 15mm nuts loose from the bottom of the fork, this will release the cartridges. Now the fork will come completely apart.

Clean all your metal parts with a light solvent. Wipe the seals clean with a shop towel.

Put the fork back together, taking extra care as to not hose up your seals. Install your carts, tigheten the 15mm nuts on the bottom. Replace your oil, I use Bel Ray 7.5 wt., from the Honda shop, it's worked well for me for years. Pump your carts and cycle the fork to make sure all air has been purged. Put the springs in, replace top caps, replace c-clips, replace preload adjusters, and ride.

I'm doing this from memory from my Z.1 FR and Atom 80, so you may have a little different of a process.

Good luck, if you need help, there are plenty of zoke experts on this board, just post your question if you get stumped. Sub6 is espically sharp with zoke forks.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by math2014
Thanks man. I really wish however i had schematics or instructions as i am a bit of a visual learner....
For some reason, for 2003, Marzocchi cheapened up their manuals. They used to have really nice exploded view assembly drawings and oil levels and the whole 9 yards. I was kinda bummed out when I got my 03 Z.1 to find a very generic manual and nothing detailed on the zoke website.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
The euro manuals have always been rubbish as they need to fit about 10 languages in the same manual.

The trick used to be to goto the Us site http://www.marzocchimtb.com/ and download a pdf of the american manual which had exploaded diagrams etc.

The americans now appear to get the same crappy manuals we have and the Us site doesn't appear to have been updated in a while.

You can proberly find a decent manual from a previous years model of your fork and use that.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by math2014
Thanks.
Are 2002 Z1 similar internally with the 2003 Z1? I got the 2002 pdf for Z1.
Yes. The '03s have 32mm stanchions instead of 30mm, but they all go together and are serviced the same way. To my knowledge the recommended oil heights are also the same, but you may have to play with that a little (easily done). As long as you've got the old manual for the '02 Dropoff and not the '02 FR, everything else should be identical.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Unfortunately i got the Z1 dropoff 2003 which is the same as Z1 freeride 2003 apart from the fact that DO has SSVF damping and FR has HSVF valving, the only 2002 manual available is the Z1fr