Quantcast

Z1 freeride is too soft

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
My z1 Freeride fork is way too soft. It bottomed hard off a 8-9 foot drop, and it bottoms off smaller ones too.I weigh about 140 lbs. What should I do to make it more stiff???? :help:

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Awesome, my friend tim pumps his up so it's almost solid when he's DJ'ing or riding street, it feels pretty good.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Well,they don't come stock with air preload (as far as I know, at least the '02 and '03 don't), but you can buy aftermarket caps to install so you can preload it with air which prevents bottoming. However, if you're doing 8-9 footers with a 5" SC fork, I'd suggest getting something a little larger as that is really designed as an aggro trail fork, not for hucks and drops of that size. But to band-aid the problem, raise the oil level until you can either buy new springs, air preload caps, or a whole new fork. Just don't expect me to buy your used Z1 ;)

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
It did come stock with air preload (it's the 04), and I only weigh 140. The drop's landing was pretty nice so I figure my fork can handle stuff like that (My friend hit the drop with 5'' 02, psylo xc's :p, that musta hurt) ...and why would they put the word ''freeride'' in the name if it can't handle a drop? :thumb:

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
You can add air to the right leg. I can on my 2004 I weigh 180lbs and do some drops and lots of big jumps with mine. You can also up the oil weight to 10 instead of the stock 7.5weight. If you do that make sure you get none foaming fork oil. I use BelRay fork oil in all of my 'zocchi forks.