Quantcast

Z3 coil kit...worth it?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I'm thinking about a new fork for this summer, but I can't quite justify the expense. I'm currently on a Z3 100mm air fork, that while it works, I tend to blow through it on bigger hits, and I'm only getting a bit over 3" out of it.

Question: Have any monkeys out there done an air to coil upgrade (w/ the Z3/Z1?)? If so, how did the fork perform for you? Would the performance be comprable to a new coil fork?

I can't help but think that the coil kit would make the fork "like new," but I'm looking for some feed back.

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
i have only done this to z4's and z5's,but i went from always tinkering with pressures and oil heights trying to get that just right feel to just riding my bike,never messing with the forks,they pick up all the small little choppy stuff yet never bottom.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Wow! That's sweet!

I didn't know you could convert an air Marzocchi to a coil... :D

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by FlipSide
Wow! That's sweet!

When I finally do it, I'll postteh results...I'm pretty stoked to try this out...cheap way to a "new" fork!;)

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
Originally posted by FlipSide
Wow! That's sweet!

In addition to that I'm told that you can use the air caps on top of the coils to give the forks a super progressive feel if you bottom them out lots. I'm not sure what air pressure is recommended though, thats somethin you'd want to experiment with & it'd depend on the coils being used too.
-kaf

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by kafin8ed

In addition to that I'm told that you can use the air caps on top of the coils to give the forks a super progressive feel if you bottom them out lots. I'm not sure what air pressure is recommended though, thats somethin you'd want to experiment with & it'd depend on the coils being used too.
-kaf
Yeah, I actualy dug up an old Mountainbike issue with a spot-light on this conversion, and they mentioned the air/coil combo too...i might look into that as its recomended for heavier riders.

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
Originally posted by VTinCT

Yeah, I actualy dug up an old Mountainbike issue with a spot-light on this conversion, and they mentioned the air/coil combo too...i might look into that as its recomended for heavier riders.
that's what I did,but the springs don't fit into the air caps right, I just dug around in my garage and found some stepped spacers that fit into the bottom of the air caps and gave me some preload on the springs,I don't ever add air to them but I do use the air fittings to bleed out the air that builds up.also, when I e-mailed the marzo tech department they said that's the way they were running it on their personal bikes.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by htrdoug

that's what I did,but the springs don't fit into the air caps right, I just dug around in my garage and found some stepped spacers that fit into the bottom of the air caps and gave me some preload on the springs,I don't ever add air to them but I do use the air fittings to bleed out the air that builds up.also, when I e-mailed the marzo tech department they said that's the way they were running it on their personal bikes.
"stepped spacers?"....wha-dat?:confused:

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
Originally posted by VTinCT

"stepped spacers?"....wha-dat?:confused:
sorry, I knew this would be confusing,anyway, if you take off one of your forks air caps and look at the bottom of it you'll see what I mean about the spring not seating well onto it,wait until tonight and if I get a chance I'll take a couple of pics of what I'm talking about(my camera is way cheap,no promise on how well they'll turn out)I'll take some measurements at least and let you know what would work

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by htrdoug

sorry, I knew this would be confusing,anyway, if you take off one of your forks air caps and look at the bottom of it you'll see what I mean about the spring not seating well onto it,wait until tonight and if I get a chance I'll take a couple of pics of what I'm talking about(my camera is way cheap,no promise on how well they'll turn out)I'll take some measurements at least and let you know what would work
Dude, thanks. I think I'm going to order the kit on Monday.

Later.:monkey:

K

kitchenware

I did it with a crescent wrench, just get on it from straight up and down. Mine weren't all that tight. You may want to wait for a socket if you tend to booger things. :)

You will be very happy going from air to oil with that fork. I did it and am very happy. Well worth the coin.

~kw

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by kitchenware
I did it with a crescent wrench, just get on it from straight up and down. Mine weren't all that tight. You may want to wait for a socket if you tend to booger things. :)

You will be very happy going from air to oil with that fork. I did it and am very happy. Well worth the coin.

~kw
Booger things!;) I like that one! I tried the crescent wrench, but its just too tight, I'd rather just buy the bit this week than notch it up.

I'm stoked to ride it all set up! Updates a soon as they're in!:monkey:

K

kitchenware

Not to incite a boogering, but here's how I did it and it came out just fine.

That thin blade looking thing is really a cone wrench, just at a weird angle.

Attachments