Quantcast

z5 air /coil help

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
well now, i've found myself the proud owner of a z5...but which one? the sticker says z5 series oil bath, ssv damping, air system.

there's a knob thingy that screws over a schrader like valve on the left(disc side) top cap, and an female valve w/ threads on the right side.

I went out and got a fork pump, but it only has the fitting for the male valve. do i just put air in one leg? where do i pump the other fitting?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
WOW thats pretty crasy i had a Z5 100 coil earleir this year and on both legs it had a bolt that you just screw in or out to but more pressure on the coil.
I'm pretty sure you have just the air model.
Yes they only have air in one leg the other leg is most likely have the oil dappening and the other weird valve has something to do with it.

I'm pretty sure that marzocchi has all the instruction manuals on their website but i forget what their website is.
Hope it helps

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
yeah, i added oil last night and there's no coil, so yes, it is the air version.

everything seems to be fine, i just have to find out the recommended pressure.

sweet fork though :D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
A friend of myne has an air bomber not sure which but it doesn't use much are pressure at all he uses his hand mini pump thats used for your tires to pump up his fork. Just keep putting air in till you like the feel. I put in about 130PSI in my lefty but that would blow up a bomber i think. And ya bomber makes sweet forks they seem very reliable.;) good luck

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i have a z5 air and it is too stiff for me with 30psi in each leg.
i ended up putting about 25 in each for general riding/urban it was responsive and i didn't feel i would bottom it off every stair set
i weigh about 150 though.

also i believe marz recomends no higher pressure than 30 or something not sure there but its fairly sensative

SageBrush

Chimp
Jun 16, 2002
Yes... Careful if you're using a shock pump, many of them are not too accurate at these ranges.