Quantcast

zee vs guide rsc

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't you use smorgasbord in English?
Anyhow french is my mother tongue and I am not sure if you will like it... :busted:
smorgasbord... not commonly used no.

Ah. I do speak (pretty bad) French... one of my kids is French. ;)

Just for balance. Despite their easy parts availabilty, British manufacture and Hope's legendary customer service I'll probably never buy Hope brakes ever again in my life. I must have owned nearly every DH brake they ever made from the first ever closed system brake up to whatever they were making in the mid 2000s. Yeah their brakes were well made and fully serviceable. it was the frequency of ...er... "servicing" (constant rebuilding) that scunnered* me with Hopes. You do get good sets but personally I'd rather do the disposible/warranty thing these days with brakes than waste hours fixing them.

* commonly used Scottish word - meaning feeling sickened/disgusted/strong dislike

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
This is the only place I can find them. Anybody ever order from these guys? Think I can pay in signed Hasselhoff pics?

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Formula/Cura-Disc-Brake-Set-2017-Model-p51801/

I have ordered tires from them in the past.
No issues, and they were pretty quick getting them to Canukistan.
Would bang again.

Sorry, can't help with the disbursement of your painstakingly collected collection of teh 'Hoff pix.
Maybe offer to include a partially eaten hamburger - toppings of their choice?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
bikecomponents.de are pretty good, quick dispatch and reliable. Loads of Brits buy their tyres from them.
or at least they did before the English fucked OUR currency... grumble grumble

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't feel sorry for anyone who lives on the same island with or neighboring island to that of chain reaction.

Bike shop owners maybe, but not bike riders.

Just ordered'em.

I have full confidence in a completely brand new, from the ground up product since nothing ever goes wrong with those!

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Just ordered'em.
I don't want to disappoint you but availability stated as "20 days or more" means, in German, "we don't have it yet, our supplier doesn't have it either but there is a plane of getting it in the scunnered future"
So I hope that you're not in a hurry! :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
QUOTE="Happymtb.fr, post: 4164854, member: 124568"]I don't want to disappoint you but availability stated as "20 days or more" means, in German, "we don't have it yet, our supplier doesn't have it either but there is a plane of getting it in the scunnered future"
So I hope that you're not in a hurry! :D[/QUOTE]

This is what I see

cura2.JPG

We'll see if they split it up. If not no biggie.

what did you order kidwoo?
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Formula/Cura-Disc-Brake-2017-Model-p51800

"two weeks"

Attachments

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm really not in any hurry. It's about to start snowing here anyway. I would just like to figure out something non-shimano, mineral based before next summer. The price was cheaper than they're supposed to be in the states so there we go.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Bike shop owners
Keep telling me my wheels aren't big enough and my frames are all 2 sizes too small. Don't feel sorry for UK bike shop owners. there are far too many. the quicker their fashion boutiques go out of business the better. ;)

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
This is the only place I can find them. Anybody ever order from these guys?
About 100 times. One of the better and one of the biggest German shops. If you ask them something you get an answer that is not taken from an ad or dealer catalogue.
And never mind their supply figures, usually they are up to stock in no time. And if not you'll get an email asking you what to do, wait or drop.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
About 100 times. One of the better and one of the biggest German shops. If you ask them something you get an answer that is not taken from an ad or dealer catalogue.
And never mind their supply figures, usually they are up to stock in no time. And if not you'll get an email asking you what to do, wait or drop.

Cool thanks! I figured if they've got the fronts the pairs and rears can't be far behind.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Used RS and a few sets of E4s (Each set of E4s felt different (firmness at the lever) - whether that was down to worn pads, needing bled etc. I honestly couldn't say). They still all worked.
Even choosing the best feeling E4 of the bunch I'd have to say I still preferred the Guides in every way.
BUT I'm NOT YOU.

Try them for yourself or just take a punt.

Honestly doubt you'll be all that disappointed either way... until the day they fuck up anyway. ALL brakes eventually do - it is in the nature of an oil and rubber sealed system exposed daily to shit, heat etc. afterall.

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
are they similar in feel and operation (modulation, instant stopping power etc)?
what about brake fade and consistency?

i decided to pull the trigger on one of these 2. (shimanos go out of the way)

PS. can i find guide rs or rsc levers (only levers) to fit them with my code calipers? (this way i save money and also have a nice set, used by many pros)

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
Hi there.
I bought a gambler in 2014 with avids on it and went to zee because of higher power but i did not see lot of changes. They're also not that consitant but maybe i would need a bleed. I'd go with the guides

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
I like the bite point to be far from the handlebars (just a shallow push and to engage)

I read that the guides (even the rsc) have the biting point located more to the handlebars.

Is that true?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I like the bite point to be far from the handlebars (just a shallow push and to engage)

I read that the guides (even the rsc) have the biting point located more to the handlebars.

Is that true?
Where are you reading some of this stuff? I can adjust the bite point of my guides to be wherever I want it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
FYI, you're going into paralysis by analysis here, go buy some zee's and the bite point will be wherever they feel like it should be whenever they want to change it on you. But hey, they won't have those sticky levers you read about. Or a bite point that is too close to the bars.

Just go buy some brakes.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@freeriding
The E4s are not super powerful, if it's for a DH bike I'd either get V4s or try the Guide RS lever on Code caliper since you already have the parts. The SRAM sponsored pros I know still prefer the Code over the Guide for power reasons. However perhaps the stock Guide is fine with different pads as a few have suggested, I've only tried stock.

How is the ergonomy on Formula?
Excellent, but like I said you need to get the high-end ones ("Racing" lever). I use the RO-R.
It has awesome ergonomics and works great for small (or large) hands, plus the reach can be set way closer than needed (if desired). This is not the case with the older levers however, and the older models certainly left a lot to be desired ergonomically. They also have a much shorter throw than both Shimano and SRAM so you can set the "initial" position of the lever much closer. My only complaint would be the pads are on the small side, but as a complete brake I still prefer it to the alternatives. I use the direct mount clamp for SRAM shifters.

I've been experimenting with bigger calipers and bigger pads on the DH bike (mostly for the pads), but for a heavy use trailbike I think the stock ROR is everything you need. I've had good results with the Shimano L04C heatsink pad in the RO caliper (direct fit).

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
so the above article is false?
I'm ny opinion yes, I run my levers very close to the bar, however my wife likes hers like that guy suggested he likes his, I have no problem bleeding them and adjusting them to engage and lock up long before the lever hits my fingers

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
Is there a universal rule imposing not to search for a product for at least 3 months, asking in multiple forums, before you buy it? :dirol:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
After 3 months riding brakeless (or worse still not riding at all) I don't think I'd give a fuck what brakes I had.