Quantcast

Zero-X Electric Dirtbike

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
Hey, I dont know if this has been posted before but as a dirt biker and a downhiller I thought this was pretty cool. Looks like it uses alot of carryover parts from the mtb world (suspension, brakes, bars/stem, wheels). What do you guys think?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
BTW, check out the videos in the gallery....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looks cool besides the 20" wheels and DNM fork. see also the electricmoto blade....wanted one since I saw them in MBA. It's too bad nobody does a good trail bike, they all try to emulate moto-xers.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
These have been posted before, and typically the redneck mx-heads go on to insist the electric bikes are worthless and the end of the world, while the MTB kids insists that they would be sick on trails.

But I'd absolutely love to have one. My neighbors aren't fond of the noise of my YZ, and the stealth night-riding potential of the electric bikes is very high.

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
looks cool besides the 20" wheels and DNM fork. see also the electricmoto blade....wanted one since I saw them in MBA. It's too bad nobody does a good trail bike, they all try to emulate moto-xers.
I think the pic I posted was an older version. If you look on their site the newer ones come with Marz 888s.

They are also coming out with a road/supermoto version with a 60miles range and a 70mph top speed...nice. Would make for a sweet commute to work.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Would be really cool if you had an outlet at work. I wonder how much it costs to fully charge?

I always imagined those bikes would be so much fun zipping around in the woods. There was a circular trail I used to ride in syracuse that would be so much fun on one of these...make 2-3 laps then plug it in...repeat.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Just checked out that website. Hopefully in a few years the price will go down and the quality will go up. $8k retail is already more than a gas powered bike. $3k for a secondary battery, which only allows for 40 miles, is ridiculous. That's $11k for a worthy setup. Almost twice what a modern gas powered bike will cost.

More likely than not, none of these electric moto start-ups will succeed. However, once the Big 5 (Honda, Yam, Suzuki, Kawi, KTM) start to move in on the technology, then we can expect prices to drop dramatically and quality to go up.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have seen a couple here in Santa Cruz moto-ing around. Those things are pretty cool in person. Both of the ones I saw here had enduro/dual sport kits and were street legal. Fast as hell and really weird because they are so quiet.