Quantcast

Zip ties and wheels

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Since I have purchased my new wheels I haven't had a problem with out of true. But I have read that using zipties and the crossover points of the spokes with strengthen the wheelset. This would be handy for any future bikes as I warp wheels very easily. The only wheel that has stood up to abuse is my Mavic 321d which is heavy for a xc epic.

If this trick works I would be willing to buy a lighter wheelset (lighter and cheaper) which would actually let me save weight for a change.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i've seen people use zip ties and i've seen people even wrap copper wire (thin) around and then solder it.

stronger?
sure. in THEORY.
what it does is basicly shorten the spoke. It keeps the spoke from flexing in the center.

worth it?
I don't think so... the wheels i've seen this done to still get out of true if you ride em.

I think just keeping your spokes at the correct tension is the strongest your going to get.

it comes down to weight vs. strength.

the strongest wheel is gonna be HEAVY. it's up to you to decide if you want strong or light.

i would rather have my bike be a bit heavier and hold up then be light and have to replace parts weekly.

but I don't race and i like to jump off things......

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Tying and soldering MIGHT have a slight effect on stiffness. Zip ties? No way, no how.

My understanding of zip ties is that if one spoke breaks, the zip tie keeps it in place rather than having it flop all over, slashing your hydro lines and getting caught in the chain (both of which seem unlikely anyway).

I've heard that the practice started in the 1800s when you had those big-wheel thingys, that had 3 foot long spokes. If one of those broke at speed, you could probably slash your legs to bits. Tying them keeps the spoke more in place and makes it less likely to whip all over the place.

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Ha!!!

I just got a mental picture of one of those early bikes (huge wheel on front and teeny tiny one in back) with a broken spoke flying around and killing people in its wake.

They had zip ties in the 1800's?:think:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I read about this technique on another forum. I don't really wanna save weight on my bike currently but if I go to a xc frame I would love to feel stable on a rim. Currently only dh rims makes me feel like I could ride on most terrain. Xc rims I eat for breakfast lunch and dinner :)

Thanx guys.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by sub6
Tying and soldering MIGHT have a slight effect on stiffness. Zip ties? No way, no how.

My understanding of zip ties is that if one spoke breaks, the zip tie keeps it in place rather than having it flop all over, slashing your hydro lines and getting caught in the chain (both of which seem unlikely anyway).

I've heard that the practice started in the 1800s when you had those big-wheel thingys, that had 3 foot long spokes. If one of those broke at speed, you could probably slash your legs to bits. Tying them keeps the spoke more in place and makes it less likely to whip all over the place.
In a way you are right on. In the time of the Hi-wheeler people would tie and solder their wheels in order to prevent lacerations from a busted spoke. The practice transfered over to the "Saftey" bicycle because the true meening was lost and it was thought to improve stiffness. In reality the tying and soldering may marginally improve stiffness but it creates a nightmare to true and retension wheels. If you ask wheelbuilders most likely 4 out of 5 will say that it is more of a hassle than it is worth.

What do you do to wheels and first and foremost WHO BUILDS YOUR WHEELS. I have had AMAZING luck with the 519's on my bike right now. They have surpassed the durability of most XC+ rims that i have tried (Including the Rhyno Lites) But nothing will be strong if it is built by an inexperienced wheel builder.

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by pnj

the strongest wheel is gonna be HEAVY. it's up to you to decide if you want strong or light.

(not sure who originally said this... You want it strong, light and cheap... you get to pick which 2)

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
if you look at a standard 3 cross lace job you will see some of the spokes are on the OUTSIDE of the othere spokes.

under enough presure (usually sideways presure, somewhat uncommon in mountain biking) these ouside spokes will flex or bow out.

this weakens the wheel.

by using zipties or someother measure, you can prevent this flex, making your wheels stronger.

the question is, how much stronger?

I don't think it is a noticeable amount. and, as stated by someone else, if the wheels are built up properly AND maintained, they will be plenty strong.

if your a big guy and you ride hard, your gonna break spokes and and destroy wheels.