Quantcast

Zipline Footage

hbracca

Chimp
Jun 4, 2008
Eugene, OR
My buddy and I put up a zipline last weekend at Willamette Pass and got a few shots of some friends (Ben @ POC, Jerred @ Downhill Coalition, Alex @ Paul Bike Shop). I don't know if any of you have ever set one of these up, but it was our first time and we are still working out a ton of little bugs but we were pretty stoked overall. Check out the Video on Vimeo and let us know what ya think.

Willamette Pass 8/30/09 on Vimeo

Last edited:

hbracca

Chimp
Jun 4, 2008
Eugene, OR
Great start so far. The one thing that's bothersome is zooming in at the end of each shot. It looks a lot better when you don't do that.
He took quite a few shots both zooming and not. The ones without the zooming the zipline was a bit to tight so there was an abrupt stop at the end and the camera shook all over so he didn't include em.

Thanks for the feedback and this is def just the start of our media adventure. I have always focused on riding but now that I tore cartilage in my sternum I have been forced to find a new way to enjoy bikes for a bit until I finish my PT.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
He took quite a few shots both zooming and not. The ones without the zooming the zipline was a bit to tight so there was an abrupt stop at the end and the camera shook all over so he didn't include em.
FYI, the reason you don't want to zoom is it's not something the human eye naturally does which makes it distracting when you watch it. You'll notice in any studio movie if the POV needs to be closer to the subject they physically move the camera closer to the subject. One thing I have noticed in a lot of zip line shots in sports films is rather then remaining focused on the rider at the end of the shot they'll allow the momentum to rotate them and then end the shot framing some landscape element - that may help with your abrupt stops.