Quantcast

Zoch Travel Reduction Heros I need help!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey all you guys that know anything about dropping the travel on a z.1 drop off II i just took mine apart this weekend trying to follow some instructions that corey posted on slamming it down to about 70 mm for the TOP...I am having some trouble getting the cartridges out of the bottom of the legs...

Has anyone removed these before? I really need to get them out so i can put a spacer in this bad boy and ride away hapily...Here are some pics of the mess i have on my hands...ergh...:banghead:...

I have tried to grab these with a vice grip with no luck...

Crime Scene...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
no i didnt you mean to loosen them up a bit? my problem is that i dont have a socket that will fit the ends...Hell i dont even know if one is made with thin enough walls to grab it...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, isn't that how you're supposed to get stuck cartridges loose? Just lightly tap it on the ends I think.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
really if so that is news to me...but i am not that great with tearing down suspension...I am dangerous...anyone else? these things are driving me nuts. So I should tap them a bit with a rubber mallet then try the vice grips? I know vice grips sound rough but it is about the only thing i can use to grab these...

I dont plan on adjusting the fork much just slamming it and putting in 15 wt oil to make it firm for jump/street.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Youll need to grind down the outside of a socket so you can get past the small opening on the lowers. I did it a long while ago and it works like a charm.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yes, the Marz forks require a very thin wall socket. Marz sells one, or you can make it yourself. Snap-on makes a thin enough socket as well.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
DAMNNNN i just looked up the tool for this on qbp, looks like it is a 12mm "foot nut" socket...$40 retail...ouch...i think ill check out the local auto parts store before i order that badboy...

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
DAMNNNN i just looked up the tool for this on qbp, looks like it is a 12mm "foot nut" socket...$40 retail...ouch...i think ill check out the local auto parts store before i order that badboy...
just do what boxxer said and grind one down, I've also done this before..... I've also used the zocchi one... (the shop paid for)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
just do what boxxer said and grind one down, I've also done this before..... I've also used the zocchi one... (the shop paid for)
I have a pretty good mechanic knowledge but how do you grind one down without making it all uneven? Would you just use a wheel?

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
I turned mine down in the lathe.

I'd be more than happy to make as many as you need for a small Paypal donation.

If you do it on a bench grinder, try to chuck the socket in a drill and spin slowly as you grind. Don't forget eye protection.

I bought a couple of those forks just to mess around with the internals.

GM

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I turned mine down in the lathe.

I'd be more than happy to make as many as you need for a small Paypal donation.

If you do it on a bench grinder, try to chuck the socket in a drill and spin slowly as you grind. Don't forget eye protection.

I bought a couple of those forks just to mess around with the internals.

GM
hey ill paypal you right away...just send me an email with how much you want, you are a life saver!

william.kirk@gmail.com

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Lathe is the pro way. I did the Ol' spin it on a grind wheel. I thought it was a 12mm when I posted before, but was too lazy to go check :)