Quantcast

Zoke Rc2 internals and snap ring at top of rebound cartridge

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Just servicing my 888rc2x's and noticed a snap ring at the top of the rebound cartridge. Naturally I pulled it off and thought it would hold the rebound shaft on. Apparently not, as I tried to remove it it wouldn't budge and my bravery ended. Is it even there for a reason?

Another thing, does anyone have any internal drawings of the rc2 cartridge, or know exactly what it contains?

Depending on the internals, I might be bothered to lathe off the end crimping and modify it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The damper rod has the rebound piston fitted on it, it consists of a check-valve and simple orofice damper. The high-speed rebound is taken care of by the base-valve, which also houses the compression valving. The base-valve is in the "base" of the cartridge, just above the oil ports. If the piston is anything like the HSCV piston, it's not user-servicable and you'd have to make your own piston to get anything along those lines. The HSCV one had a rivet holding the shimz in place, but there was no way to get at them or modify it without destroying it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Just servicing my 888rc2x's and noticed a snap ring at the top of the rebound cartridge. Naturally I pulled it off and thought it would hold the rebound shaft on. Apparently not, as I tried to remove it it wouldn't budge and my bravery ended. Is it even there for a reason?

Another thing, does anyone have any internal drawings of the rc2 cartridge, or know exactly what it contains?

Depending on the internals, I might be bothered to lathe off the end crimping and modify it.
Just service it. Bout all the custom tuning you get on that fork, without fabing parts, is oil weight.

Bout Lathing off the crimp. Not worth it, change the oil, clean everything else, ride on.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Cheers Jm. I always thought they had a shimmed rebound damper.

I like running lot of lsc, but with this thing it's just too harsh because of the whole cartridge being closed off.

Me thinks its time for a new fork. 888evo, boxxer team or a BOS Idylle? I wish my mates were a bit fatter, I'd be able to properly try the team and the Idylle.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You can try a heavier oil with the compression opened up more, or a lighter oil with the compression closed off more for heavier low speed damping. Crude, but effective with those carts.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Cheers Jm. I always thought they had a shimmed rebound damper.
They do, you just can't get to it. One side of the base valve is HS rebound (it is a single shim sprung with 1 bent shim IIRC), one side is compression, and the RC2 cartridge will incorporate the LSC bypass here.

I think it's a decent damper, probably one of the better ones marzocchi released, but your tuning options are certainly limited to oil weight and adjusters.

A guy on here (Bati from chile I think) cut and modified the crimped part of the cartridge to unthread from the main body instead, but that still won't give you access to the stack because it's pressed into the bottom. A better idea would be chopping the base off the cartridge and making a new base for it entirely that threads onto the main damper in the same way. But it would be too much work (for a non-chilean :p), so if you can't get the stock damper working to your liking, I'd just go for a different fork.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Or wait for the Avalanche cartridge damper that is going to be made for your 888.