Quantcast

Zokes 66 / 888 question for those in the know

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
What is the most beefy / bulletproof year and model of either the 66 or 888?

Here's my motivation- I have an '02 Monster(still going strong) and an '01 Super T on my '02 and '05 bikes respectively. I love the Monster and will never get rid of it. The Super T, on the other hand, needs a rebuild again but I'm frankly tired of doing so and plan on retiring it from active duty. What I now need is a 6"-7" fork, single or double crown, with 35mm stanchions, TWO coil springs(to be replaced with heavy ones) and hopefully no annoying air anything. If I HAVE to have any air functions, I plan of setting the fork up with an oil weight and height that will allow me to not have to use them. I don't care about the weight or a lockout or all the bells and whistles. I just want a fork that allows me to set it, forget it, treat it poorly and maintain it infrequently...kinda like I do with my Monster T. Short of downloading and reading all the damned technical manuals for every year of these models, who can help me out? What I'd find, ideally, would be a 35mm stanchioned '02 Monster T with dual heavy springs, 10wt - 15wt Spectro and no need to carry around a stupid little penis pump for my fork.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
06/07 66 for 888 w/ the 7 inch cartridge/ spacers?05 had problems, 06 wa money, 07 saw more refinement and better adjustments

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Dex, is that text-speak or something? I re-read your post several times and still don't know what it means. Are you saying go with either the 888 or 66 and the newer the better? I was already leaning away from the '05 because of the tall axle-crown height but it seems like the newer stuff is all about saving a gram of weight by sacrificing a leg's-worth of coil spring and adding all this air crap. I don't want an air spring or air preload or air blown up my bunghole. I want coil & oil reliability and if I can't find it anymore with a Marzocchi, perhaps it's time for a change.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
He is saying if you go with a 66 Either get an 06 or 07. If you go with an 888 to set it up as a seven inch, that 05 had problems, o6 cost more, and in 07 thre were mroe refinements and adjustments added.

So my question, before i asnwer, why do you want dual heavy springs? My ride weight is 253 with gear, I dont run dual heavies. Just curious why you want such a stiff setup

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Yeah I went for the 07 66 SL , I am 240lb with gear.. So you dont want air just wondering why? I am thinking of getting a new DC myself also, do you guys think i should stay away from the new 888 , andn go for a 07 or 06??

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
wheelworld.com has 05 888rc 170mm for under $500, not sure if they have flat or high rise crowns, prolly highrise though. find some flat crowns and your set.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I have an 2005 888RC that I've had zero issues with. I know several other people with the same fork with no problems. Not allot of bells and whistles set it and forget it like your asking for.

I think there is a guy in Richmond selling his if you are interested

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
I have an 2005 888RC that I've had zero issues with. I know several other people with the same fork with no problems. Not allot of bells and whistles set it and forget it like your asking for.
+1. My 05 (8") has been great! Haven't had to touch it once after setup.
And I too have a brand new 05 (7" with flat crown) for sale, if you're interested :)

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Yeah I went for the 07 66 SL , I am 240lb with gear.. So you dont want air just wondering why? I am thinking of getting a new DC myself also, do you guys think i should stay away from the new 888 , andn go for a 07 or 06??
It depends on what kind of features you want. There werent many changes to the08 except i know they have 38mm stanchions instead of 35mm. If you want to go air, i just got an 07 888 sl ata off of my friend and i know you can get those for pretty decent prices these days. The only thing wrong with that fork though is that its travel adjust would wind down when taking big hits but that was a quick fix thanks to some other guys here on rm and its awesome now. So.. i would say unless you're feeling greedy for an extra 3mm of stanchions, go with the 07.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Thanks for the help guys. To answer the questions posed, I want to put a newer fork on the front of my '05 Chaparral to replace the '01 Super T instead of rebuilding it yet again. I use the bike for downward trending rocky/droppy/jumpy trails and for general trail riding. I liked the '01 Super T because it was faily stiff, had a very low axle-crown height, was reasonably pedalable and supremely reliable. I don't want any air crap associated with the bike because in my experience, shock air chambers are not reliable or durable in the long run, eventually leak and require you to carry around a stupid penis pump. I like having stiff springs and primo carts in each leg because they are well-balanced, better support for my beer-bloated girth, much nicer to pedal, more bottom-out resistant and less likely to leave me stranded in the woods hiking my bike out(I like solo riding, too). Both of my bikes are heavy-assed, ultra-reliable Banshees and I like forks that mirror their qualities of being overbuilt and hard to kill.

For all you guys that may have a line on a 66/888, shoot me a link to your ad or PM/email me the details. Thanks!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
llkoolkeg know a days you don't need dual springs as the fork are now designed around one. this new setup uses a spring that is basically twice as stiff as before there for eliminating the other

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
llkoolkeg know a days you don't need dual springs as the fork are now designed around one. this new setup uses a spring that is basically twice as stiff as before there for eliminating the other
The 06,07 66 are both using dual springs still, the 07 66 like i have comes with one heavy, and one medium, with an air assist on the medium for fine tuning to the rider, and at 253 riding weight i haave 2lbs of air in it, its perfect.

If your doing alot of trail riding, with climbing and decents, I say you should go with the 66 ETA, The damn thing rides awesome, and teh ETA for the climbs is absolutly wonderfull, if you worried about the steerer dont be, hell of reinforced, very strong.

But on the other side, if your used to a DC, and thats what your comfy with, then go for the 888 Either way, both are a great setup, low rise crowns are easy to come by, couple different advantages to both.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
He is saying if you go with a 66 Either get an 06 or 07. If you go with an 888 to set it up as a seven inch, that 05 had problems, o6 cost more, and in 07 thre were mroe refinements and adjustments added.

So my question, before i asnwer, why do you want dual heavy springs? My ride weight is 253 with gear, I dont run dual heavies. Just curious why you want such a stiff setup

Mild HiJack: I am running Dual Heavies in my 07 888 RC2x and weigh about 245 now - so maybe 260ish with gear. Do you prefer a really supple ride? Mine feels sickly sensitive and plush, occasional bottom - but was thinkig I could get it 'bobbling' better if I swapped a reg spring in one leg and ran a tad more preload.

Anyone else?

As far as the fork 06 or 07 of either, they have same adjustments etc - the 07 66 has 10mm more than the 06. I dont believe anyone had any serious issues; the A2C (effective fork height) was a bit long, and without the comp sleeve rode low in the travel and wallowed a bit - the comp sleeve can fix it up nicey nice.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
+2 for the '05 888RC. That thing's been 100% bullet proof. As mentioned, not a ton of adjustments, but it gets the job done and it's buttery smooth! It is about time to replace it though, and I'm thinking of going for the 888 ATA WC. It should match up nice with the Socom.
+3

I bought it used 2 years ago and it's been problem free as well. I was 240lbs when I got it, heavy springs in the middle preload position and max oil level was absolutely perfect. Some complain about the lack of low speed compression dampening (brake dive) but I never found it to be a problem.

There's great deals to be had on these older forks.

I just picked up an 07 888 RC2X WC, but only because it was too good a deal to pass up.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
+3

I bought it used 2 years ago and it's been problem free as well. I was 240lbs when I got it, heavy springs in the middle preload position and max oil level was absolutely perfect. Some complain about the lack of low speed compression dampening (brake dive) but I never found it to be a problem.

There's great deals to be had on these older forks.

I just picked up an 07 888 RC2X WC, but only because it was too good a deal to pass up.

Have you heard of or had issues with the newer 888's? I haven't heard a word aside from some having issues smashing the C ajuster on the bottom right leg.

I wouldnt extend an 05 any more toughness credit than on 06 or 07 at all.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Have you heard of or had issues with the newer 888's? I haven't heard a word aside from some having issues smashing the C ajuster on the bottom right leg.

I wouldnt extend an 05 any more toughness credit than on 06 or 07 at all.
I don't have much time on it yet, but I do like the dampening better. It feels just as plush but less dive.

I wouldn't say the 05 is tougher either, I think structurally they are all the same.

A side plus could be in weight. The 05 888RC comes in at about 7.4lbs. I weighed an 07 888RC2X at a c-hair under 8lbs. My 888 WC with Ti springs is within 10 grams of my 05 888RC with steel springs.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Mild HiJack: I am running Dual Heavies in my 07 888 RC2x and weigh about 245 now - so maybe 260ish with gear. Do you prefer a really supple ride? Mine feels sickly sensitive and plush, occasional bottom - but was thinkig I could get it 'bobbling' better if I swapped a reg spring in one leg and ran a tad more preload.

Anyone else?

If you know someone with a heavy/med combo go ride theres, I think you will be plesantly suprised how much better it will ride. If your bottoming dual heavies your compression probably is set too low, ramp up the compression a bit with the heav/med spring and I am pretty sure your going to enjoy how much better it will feel. Also might be time for a rebuild, if the oil is old and worn, it will bottom too easily as well. If your in my area, you would be welcome to come ride with me and we can swap bikes on teh trail for a bit.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
05's had an issue with oil leaking out of the lowers, right through the case of the metal, not at the seals, out of 50 plus i have seen, only one have i ever seen with a problem
I believe that was the 04 model that had that problem. A first year production glitch.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If you know someone with a heavy/med combo go ride theres, I think you will be plesantly suprised how much better it will ride. If your bottoming dual heavies your compression probably is set too low, ramp up the compression a bit with the heav/med spring and I am pretty sure your going to enjoy how much better it will feel. Also might be time for a rebuild, if the oil is old and worn, it will bottom too easily as well. If your in my area, you would be welcome to come ride with me and we can swap bikes on teh trail for a bit.
I'm currentl in Beautiful NYC.

I do well with suspension setup, and I couldnt complain about it except it rides a little higher than I'd like. As for the bottoming, its not common - but if you DONT bottom your fork from time to time, then I would say you had too much Comp!

I just swapped the oil - for S&G Ima swap a stock spring back in one side and go run oversome bumpag3.

thx

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I agree about bottoming your fork, thats all part of fine tuning for the rider and such. I would suggest to check your sag though, should be about 2 in or so maybe a little more. You can use a zip tie to check this with ease, wrap it on the stanction, loose enough to slide tight enough to stop, then just sit on the bike. If its right and still too tall for your comfort, I would suggest getting a set of low rise crowns. They usually feel pretty good, i like them myself, matched with an Integrated stem and i really like it