Quantcast

ZTR Flow question

Tamo

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Sweden
Do I need solution when using the 25mm rim tape or will it work just as good without the solution? :huh: Im gonna use ust minion or regular minion tires.

Thankful for some help :cheers:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Yes, you want to use the latex sealant (at least one cup). That will seal up any punctures you may get.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ok. Say if I dont use the sealant, will the tires inflate?
Maybe, maybe not. Use the sealant, unless you want a less reliable setup.:biggrin: It helps seal the tire/rim interface and and any pores in the tires in addition to punctures.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
yeah, a minion will inflate no worries. The combo gives a awesome seal. Try to avoid tyre levers though as you may stretch the bead. And use some stans. It works.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Tire levers bring death to a UST tire.

I've yet to use Flow rims, but for comparison, I've never had a problem with getting a tire on or off of a Mavic UST rim. I can also get just about any tire to inflate, however non UST tires usually leak through the actual tire. My older Maxxis UST tires will leak through the tire, but my Michelin DH tires do not. I've also had great luck with the Hutchinson UST tires, but they are still new so I'm not sure if they will begin to leak through the tread or not.

One of the best things to seal up a UST rim is to apply RTV to the valve when you install it. I've tried a bit of Stans around the valve before, but it would still leak after a while. I do not use sealant in any of my Mavic UST set ups.

I'm not sure which version of the Maxxis tires to recommend though. I was on a ride with a guy last summer that was riding some prototype Ardents on flow rims and he blew them off the rim 2 or 3 times... on an xc ride. Because of that and because the UST Maxxis tires are kevlar bead I would go with the UST version, except that I would want the 3c combo and they don't offer that.

I'm anxious to see Michelin's 2010 line up and also for Maxxis to release their 3C tires in a UST version.