Quantcast

“Flipping the link”

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
I have a 2002 specialized enduro expert. I’ve heard around r/m that people “flip the link”, but I’m not really sure what they’re talking about. What does flipping the link mean? What does it do? Does it change the travel/feel of the bike? Any help would be nice since the enduro has just been sitting in my garage for a year or so and i'm getting an itch to just ditch it. thanks -mar

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
awholelota said:
I have a 2002 specialized enduro expert. I’ve heard around r/m that people “flip the link”, but I’m not really sure what they’re talking about. What does flipping the link mean? What does it do? Does it change the travel/feel of the bike? Any help would be nice since the enduro has just been sitting in my garage for a year or so and i'm getting an itch to just ditch it. thanks -mar
That's the part the bottom end of the shock mounts to. Flipping it changes head angle and bb height. Take off the four bolts on the link, take out the shock bolt and flip it. Reassemble. Repeat as necessary.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
I don't know about that. The 2002 link looks straight - as in "flipping does nil". At least, the link looks much different than my 2003.

Edit:
It's true, I'm an idiot :blah:

Flipping the shock link allows geometry adjustment. Head tube angle - 69.5/70.5, bottom bracket height - 12.5/13".

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
werd. the easiest way to bust it over is to unbolt the 4 alloy bolts (at the corners) and just twist the link and shock around. The body of the shock will stay put and the stanchion will spin freely. There is no need to unbolt the shock at all. I used to run my Enduro in the steep setting for the extra BB height and 5" fork geometry.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
punkassean said:
werd. the easiest way to bust it over is to unbolt the 4 alloy bolts (at the corners) and just twist the link and shock around. The body of the shock will stay put and the stanchion will spin freely. There is no need to unbolt the shock at all. I used to run my Enduro in the steep setting for the extra BB height and 5" fork geometry.
good thinkin' punkass ean.

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
good stuff ya'll.... think i'll try this when i get back from tahoe this weekend. if anyone is at northstar this weekend i'll be on a gray sc bullit with a super-t fork... me and 50 other dudes... lol... pick me out of the flock and say hi! peace ya'll -mar