Quantcast

(.)¡(.) It's morning, or I think it's morning, or something like that. (.)¡(.)

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Ha, it's a fucking rigid bike. I use mine mostly during winter, but during summer for road-hill climb training and the odd gravel race.... snip
Thanks. Good to know. I am shopping primarily for Winter right now as I don't expect to get back into high speed trail shape ever again. I still have the roady, and our trails are tame by any standard here.... Or could a 2.6" tire work in the winter.....?

I should have said more of a capable commuter bike?!??

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks. Good to know. I am shopping primarily for Winter right now as I don't expect to get back into high speed trail shape ever again. I still have the roady, and our trails are tame by any standard here.... Or could a 2.6" tire work in the winter.....?

I should have said more of a capable commuter bike?!??
If it's winter you are concerned about, even up here in the great white north, a studded 29er-whatever works fine 98% of the time. The studs actually work better on narrower tires (more pressure). And if you get snow/ice that lingers for weeks due to low sun and temps, you want studs, a lot cheaper than the emergency room. The fatter tires are kind of nice for commuting with lots of curbs and crappy paths, but that definitely doesn't necessitate 4 or 5" tires. There are a few times commuting where the fat tires help with snow, but keep in mind anything more than about 4-5" of new snow and riding a fat-bike becomes impossible, also sloughing from the snow-plows can seriously screw up the paths and I sure as hell ain't going to ride in the road in those conditions.

If it's snow-riding on trails though, go for the fattest fat you can find. Put a dropper post on it. Don't worry about the suspension. When in doubt, let air pressure out.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
We get a good dumping of snow, and lots of super cold.. (In Red Deer, AB. Central Plains typical winter) .. Not a lot of heavy snow, its usually pretty crispy and gets icy... All groomed path/trails really....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey just discovered a website that provides build plans for farmhouse-style furniture. She has already sent me designs for a console table with matching coffee table and end tables, a loft bed and desk for Haley, a king-sized bed frame with matching nightstands, and outdoor furniture as well. I have a feeling I will be re-furnishing of our home now that I have proven I can do woodworking to a "sufficient" level.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Tl;Dr

What's good for tire sealant? Just discovered my bontrager garbage has totally separated and won't remix. Probably why my rear tire keeps going flat. I don't have time to mix up used antifreeze with half a ground up lacrosse ball and two bits of gear oil, so something off the shelf please

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Wifey just discovered a website that provides build plans for farmhouse-style furniture. She has already sent me designs for a console table with matching coffee table and end tables, a loft bed and desk for Haley, a king-sized bed frame with matching nightstands, and outdoor furniture as well. I have a feeling I will be re-furnishing of our home now that I have proven I can do woodworking to a "sufficient" level.
:popcorn:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
///Carpentry

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tl;Dr

What's good for tire sealant? Just discovered my bontrager garbage has totally separated and won't remix. Probably why my rear tire keeps going flat. I don't have time to mix up used antifreeze with half a ground up lacrosse ball and two bits of gear oil, so something off the shelf please
51+kelcUwvL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Tl;Dr

IDK, I've been using the same home-brew for years now. I've recently been extending it with what I call "refreshers" that lack the latex and slime. I wouldn't even know where to start, but if I'm on vacation and didn't bring a few extra vials of my own, I'll just grab a couple stans.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ha, it's a fucking rigid bike. I use mine mostly during winter, but during summer for road-hill climb training and the odd gravel race. Recently, I rode one out to a trail-work party, on about half a mile of "flow" type trail. It'll bounce you to hell and back. There's a very narrow LOW speed and impact range where the tires can absorb some stuff with low pressure and on a trail, you basically cannot control this, any time you start going faster than a walking pace, it starts to knock your brain against your skull. The other effect is it feels like you are drunk, you want the wheels to turn, but they don't.

IMO, the people raving about these (and they claim they are faster on them) are newbies with no balance or confidence and they ain't going fast on them, but maybe faster than their whatever-other bike, you start pushing these on trails and you quickly find that they suck for them.

Now, all of that said, one thing that is good is that it's not like a snowboard in the summer. You CAN ride these bikes on trails and people DO ride rigid bikes all the time, just don't go thinking that that 4 or 5" tires give you "suspension", they most certainly do not. In the winter, we have the effects of much lower pressure (than can be ran in the summer), the traction limits speed more, the snow surface, even when it's fairly packed-absorbs a lot of energy for impacts, the roots and in-betweens all fill with ice/snow and pack smoothly, and so on. It's just not the same game in the winter.

I'd like to see some better FS options that could be fitted with normal sized rims/tires for summer use, but the development here is way too much of a niche. The Foes is interesting, but way too much weight.
what he said

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
good thing you sold the M
Right? I'd told her in the past that I can build stuff, but she never really believed me, as I never had tools that would allow me to properly do a lot of the work. Now that I've done the framing for the fireplace and the proof of concept for the kitchen cabinets, she had an epiphany that I actually can do it and well. So, here we are.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Some day stoney will discover division of labor.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Some day stoney will discover division of labor.
She deals with daily household shit and children losing their shit. I get calm down, playtime, bedtime, and don't have to deal with cleaning. And believe it or not, I somewhat enjoy building things.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
She deals with daily household shit and children losing their shit. I get calm down, playtime, bedtime, and don't have to deal with cleaning. And believe it or not, I somewhat enjoy building things.
Not between you and the Mrs.

Between you and Juan Contractor who could have built your built-ins.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Link plz.

That seems to be where I'm headed now... Guess it's time to go buy some tools and some wood.
Austin Hardwoods of Denver has a lot of good material.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not between you and the Mrs.

Between you and Juan Contractor who could have built your built-ins.
I can provide a list of things done poorly by the carpenter who did the built-in's and the contractors who you've heard enough about already. I had to spend another 5 hours this past weekend fixing things done incorrectly or poorly by them. The amount of time I've since spent fixing things is now greater than it would have taken me to do on my own. I guess I just have higher standards when I know how something should be built and can identify errors quickly.

Link plz.

Austin Hardwoods of Denver has a lot of good material.

And thank you!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Right? I'd told her in the past that I can build stuff, but she never really believed me, as I never had tools that would allow me to properly do a lot of the work. Now that I've done the framing for the fireplace and the proof of concept for the kitchen cabinets, she had an epiphany that I actually can do it and well. So, here we are.
Pro tip: if people think you’re stupid, they will expect less of you.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Tl;Dr

i've found stans and truckerco to both be good. there's a local company called black ox that i'll probably try next.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I did bike stuff today. I completely disassembled a 1993 GT I-drive. What a bitch. Sure are a lot of parts to those fuckers. I had to use a vise to get the Bottom Bracket out. Those Eccentric things are complicated and I will never work on one ever again. I was super careful and everything went well. I had to rebuild a RS SID without the proper rebuild kit. I just used the old parts as they seemed fine. SRAM stuff doesn't age well. Shimano stuff is much better engineered and lasts forever. Mavic Crossmax wheels are shit. I didn't touch them. I am not sure why anyone would invest so much into such an old bike. After everything was said and done it still rides like ass. He was happy however. Additional Items have been put on my do not touch list. First Gen Avid hydraulic brakes, All wheels with Orange Hubs. Anything made by Magura, Hope, or Hayes. Manitou shocks and forks. His wife is from Czech republic and made these rolled up beef things. I am not sure what they were stuffed with or called. But the gravy/sauce they came with and the Spätzle like things were spectacular. The Wine served was made by Nuns in Czechoslovakia and is not available here in the States. I traded some Campy tools for a Bottle.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
His wife is from Czech republic and made these rolled up beef things. I am not sure what they were stuffed with or called. But the gravy/sauce they came with and the Spätzle like things were spectacular. The Wine served was made by Nuns in Czechoslovakia and is not available here in the States. I traded some Campy tools for a Bottle.
1595293589906.png

These things? I haven't had one for 20 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouladen
Got a picture of the wine bottle? I am curious if it comes from the Archbishop's chateau wine cellars in Kroměříž , their Pinot gris is something I miss.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
View attachment 147697

These things? I haven't had one for 20 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouladen
Got a picture of the wine bottle? I am curious if it comes from the Archbishop's chateau wine cellars in Kroměříž , their Pinot gris is something I miss.
They were. Pickles as a stuffing? Who knew? The Gravy was like Demiglace. In order to get a bottle you have to return the empty bottle to the homeland to be refilled. Serious shit for her. I deferred. Very refreshing however. They drove my car home and then rode their bikes home after they drank the rest of my beer. Fun day. I must say... The bottle is shaped like a Cello.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
First ride in two weeks.
it was...euphoric.
Ribs didn’t really hurt...went out like a demon and got a pr or two, but ran out of steam after 30 miles. Got absolutely destroyed by a young chick on the last few miles, but around here, that’s not out of the ordinary.
its amazing how quickly fitness diminishes.
SO happy to be riding again!

[/SWEETBLOGBRUH]

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I did bike stuff today. I completely disassembled a 1993 GT I-drive. What a bitch. Sure are a lot of parts to those fuckers. I had to use a vise to get the Bottom Bracket out. Those Eccentric things are complicated and I will never work on one ever again. I was super careful and everything went well. I had to rebuild a RS SID without the proper rebuild kit. I just used the old parts as they seemed fine. SRAM stuff doesn't age well. Shimano stuff is much better engineered and lasts forever. Mavic Crossmax wheels are shit. I didn't touch them. I am not sure why anyone would invest so much into such an old bike. After everything was said and done it still rides like ass. He was happy however. Additional Items have been put on my do not touch list. First Gen Avid hydraulic brakes, All wheels with Orange Hubs. Anything made by Magura, Hope, or Hayes. Manitou shocks and forks. His wife is from Czech republic and made these rolled up beef things. I am not sure what they were stuffed with or called. But the gravy/sauce they came with and the Spätzle like things were spectacular. The Wine served was made by Nuns in Czechoslovakia and is not available here in the States. I traded some Campy tools for a Bottle.
I remember the SRAM stuff from that era and a little after. Yep, no comparison, it was all crap. They only started to make passable stuff with the "X" series and then good stuff with the 1x that came shortly after. Before that, it's horrid.