Quantcast

¡Ayudame!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I'm having troubles, and I'm pretty sure they are related to my physical performance rather than my bike. Anyways, I've been steadily improving on dirt jumping now that the jumps are back, and I'm also loving downhill right now. The thing is, there are a ton of awesome street spots around here, Berkeley has some cool spots and it's about a 10 minute drive from my house. I'm really wanting to get good at street so I can enjoy everything there is around here, but even though I've been trying really hard, I can't get anywhere. My bike is an 07 Yeti DJ, and it's a long so it has a 23.5 inch top tube making for a just over 46 inch wheelbase :shocked: I'm not really sure if there is a strategy for coping with a long bike. I've been thinking a BMX would be fun, but I love riding my hardtail for everything dirt related and my parents aren't wild about seeing a third bike kicking around the house. Should I just try and convince them a BMX is a good choice? Please don't recommend a new hardtail frame, I looooooove my Yeti and it's also cheaper to just buy a bmx. thanks.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Yea I would just get a bmx, I ride alot of street (Im in Boston) and have been rolling on a 24" identiti with short stays and a ridgid fork and am still considering a bmx, just awesome to fling around.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
just run the 26 there's plenty of potential in the frame
and if you want to make it more streetable try single speeding it.
either way riding a 26 will make it a lot easier to do tricks if you ever do consider moving to a 20"

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i dunno, i think i might just go for the 20. it is all personal preference i guess, but when i stopped by the local bike shop, as ****ty as it is, and jumped on one of the new fit completes, i kind of fell in love. i just rode it around the block a little, but bmxs are sooooooo easy to toss around, it's ridiculous. i might need to get a cheap one, as in under $350, and then be happy. i would totally mess with my hardtail to make it a little better for street, but i don't want to give up the knobby-ish tires, rear derraileur, and overally versatility. it's super dialed right now except for the wheels being a little sloppy and not as tight as i'd like them to be, but i'd be hardpressed to change anything on it. plus, i'm going to be racing it this coming season and a single speed just won't do. not to mention, i won't feel bad trashing a bmx while learning to do more stuff, it would be a huge bummer to mash up my yeti.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i went to hank and spank. the guy there helping me out was chill and there is another guy i talk to on occasion in there that dirt jumps and is really good. i would be doubting myself on the bmx, but i found a nice one that only really needs a different gearing combo eventually, but otherwise it is really sick, much nicer than the other offerings at its price point. my mom didn't know what to get me for my birthday and christmas and she has been bugging me for the past week about stuff, so i just told her about the bike. i'm looking forward to getting one because from what i heard, my mountain skills will complement the bmx and the bmx will give me more finess and stuff on my other bikes.

Monkey
did you go to the hank and Franks on College? Mark working there is a f'in awesome guy.

Where are the DJ spots in the Oakland general area? I only heard of some down by the Marina but that was a few years ago and never got the time to check it out.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
ya, i went to lafayette. the only dj spots in the area are shells, the pleasanton bmx park, and then some small spots kickin around in the woods, etc.