Quantcast

££££ Sol Day $$$$

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Kiddo lined up for her first race today. Got second. She’s stoked.
Did a cruiser bike crit relay with my coworkers. We didn’t get last, and the ladies didn’t eat shit in a corner so, I’ll take that as a win

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@gonefirefightin coming in solid with the wood assistance today :brows: . Neighbor's tree visibly came out of lean following his instructions. Still some more to do, which I'll help her with during the week. But the sketchy lean is gone.

Neighbor across the street went from having a bad day with his tree to downright shitty. We were looking at the options for possibly pulling down a few of the split branches using a rope. But in the process it went from two broken branches to eight and one large branch no longer attached, just hanging, the more we looked.

I'm glad we don't have trees.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It must be my superpower, but there is no pepper, hot sauce, pure scoville, or what have you, that has ever had any effect on the way out. I’m…’special’, apparently.
Dooode...I am 100% certain that I can make you a salsa that will cause your turds to almost sizzle when they hit the water. How about a taco that is so goddamn hot that you have to stay focused to eat it ?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Dooode...I am 100% certain that I can make you a salsa that will cause your turds to almost sizzle when they hit the water. How about a taco that is so goddamn hot that you have to stay focused to eat it ?
I believe you had a pork salsa marinade kinda thing earlier…I’ve had some leftover taco truck habanero salsa on my eggs for the last few days. I need more of that and I’m growing peppers. Happen to have any recipes?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My sister’s husband was northern Thai. I have certainly had food so fucking hot I couldn’t finish eating it (or wanted to), but I have never felt any aftereffects, ever. It’s not a brag or anything, just a strange thing about my personal physiology.
That shit must get stored somewhere in your svelte frame... and eventually it's gonna have to come out. :panic:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Too much red meat turns you into a fat asshole. And neither is particularly healthy
Yeah. And let’s be honest about the flavor profile of most “fast food” burgers. Lots of it is the bun, fixings, and sauces. The faux meat I had today wasn’t great on its own (forget if it was impossible or beyond), but the faux cheese was pretty good. The bun and sauce(s) were tasty. The lettuce, onion, and tomato were exactly the same as what you’d get on a meat burger. You’d definitely recognize it wasn’t a meat patty, but I can’t say meat would’ve made it a significantly better burger. The Oreo shake was fantastic. It was definitely junk food. I’d definitely go back again.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I believe you had a pork salsa marinade kinda thing earlier…I’ve had some leftover taco truck habanero salsa on my eggs for the last few days. I need more of that and I’m growing peppers. Happen to have any recipes?
An easy one is salsa tomatillo. It's a staple of most Mexican Restaurants. Often it's the dark reddish brown stuff they bring out if ask for something other than the salsa that comes with the chips.

Take three or four tomatillos, hulled and rinsed and roast them in a pan until they are charred all over. In the same pan roast two slices of white onion and three cloves of garlic with the paper still on, until browned. As each ingredient gets cooked toss it into a mixing bowl with a lid. They will continue to steep if the lid is on. You can do the same to any fresh chili or you can use two dried Ancho peppers. Lightly toast the dried pepper in the pan for a few seconds.

Take care to remove the core and the charred skin on the tomatillos. Do not use water to do this, that will wash away all the flavor. Scrape with a paring knife or something similar. Remove the paper from the garlic cloves. Cut the peppers open, dried or fresh, and discard the seeds. Put all ingredients into a blender with a cup or two of water. Add salt to taste and a wee pinch of sugar to balance out any bitterness from the peppers. You can also add fresh cilantro if you want. If you use dried peppers the salsa will continue to thicken and you'll need to add a little water.

IMG_1013.jpg

And for eggs:

1348__40375.1560580402.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Emptied out the garage and pressure washed it. Epoxy day is Tuesday.

C3D7FF7F-7575-4788-8FE1-7CC5815DB1BE.jpeg

Elder kid then had a violin recital. Some of those kids show up just totally unprepared.

2F6B5C70-1997-4D26-96BF-9D5CD4D90CF4.jpeg

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
An easy one is salsa tomatillo. It's a staple of most Mexican Restaurants. Often it's the dark reddish brown stuff they bring out if ask for something other than the salsa that comes with the chips.

Take three or four tomatillos, hulled and rinsed and roast them in a pan until they are charred all over. In the same pan roast two slices of white onion and three cloves of garlic with the paper still on, until browned. As each ingredient gets cooked toss it into a mixing bowl with a lid. They will continue to steep if the lid is on. You can do the same to any fresh chili or you can use two dried Ancho peppers. Lightly toast the dried pepper in the pan for a few seconds.

Take care to remove the core and the charred skin on the tomatillos. Do not use water to do this, that will wash away all the flavor. Scrape with a paring knife or something similar. Remove the paper from the garlic cloves. Cut the peppers open, dried or fresh, and discard the seeds. Put all ingredients into a blender with a cup or two of water. Add salt to taste and a wee pinch of sugar to balance out any bitterness from the peppers. You can also add fresh cilantro if you want. If you use dried peppers the salsa will continue to thicken and you'll need to add a little water.

View attachment 176757

And for eggs:

View attachment 176759
Most excellent and most appreciated! Going to give this a try ASAP. Looks fantastic! Even though I’m originally from the southwest we rarely made our own salsa even though we grew the peppers. Something special about homemade.

Also thanks for the hot sauce recommendation. The guy that “invented” the scorpion pepper is supposed to have a hot sauce place in Fort Mill (I believe??) so I’ll grab some there or if he doesn’t have them I’ll get it on the net to try.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Most excellent and most appreciated! Going to give this a try ASAP. Looks fantastic! Even though I’m originally from the southwest we rarely made our own salsa even though we grew the peppers. Something special about homemade.

Also thanks for the hot sauce recommendation. The guy that “invented” the scorpion pepper is supposed to have a hot sauce place in Fort Mill (I believe??) so I’ll grab some there or if he doesn’t have them I’ll get it on the net to try.
Food Lion sells El Yucateco in the Hispanic section as does any Tienda. It's a roasted hot sauce with a ton of flavor and retails for $2.69.

Haven't tried the scorpion. Actually my heat tolerance is way down. At my peak, several years ago, I maxed out with the Red Savina.

ProTip: When working with any hot pepper it's a good practice to wear nitrile gloves. Capsaicin, the compound that makes peppers hot, can cause a chemical burn on skin that's no joke. If you do get burned soak your hands in whole milk. That will neutralize the capsaicin.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
ProTip: When working with any hot pepper it's a good practice to wear nitrile gloves. Capsaicin, the compound that makes peppers hot, can cause a chemical burn on skin that's no joke. If you do get burned soak your hands in whole milk. That will neutralize the capsaicin.
and scrub your hands well with soap and hot water before touching your eyes, wiping or shaking. Otherwise the pain will be intense. I was roasting pepper seeds for grinding up into a mole~ sauce and one popped. I was wearing gloves and safety glasses. The seed caught me in the eyebrow. just above the lens. burned like a motherfucker for about 10 minutes.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Food Lion sells El Yucateco in the Hispanic section as does any Tienda. It's a roasted hot sauce with a ton of flavor and retails for $2.69.

Haven't tried the scorpion. Actually my heat tolerance is way down. At my peak, several years ago, I maxed out with the Red Savina.

Will run to the Food Lion down the road tomorrow then. Awesome. It’s a shame that heat upsets my stomach a bit since I don’t eat it 24/7 since moving here but am hoping to get my body used to it again.

Also, thanks for the reminder about the gloves. I’ll just say this: “don’t rub your eyes”.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Back when I used to brew Habanero based hot sauces it was like working in a cloud of pepper gas. I'd cough to the point of vomiting, get habanero bits in my eyes, and still have to soak my hands in milk. Brutal but worth it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I spent a legit 6hrs yesterday with an 85cc gas powered stihl hedge trimmer clearing a trail that had been overtaken by bullshit. It took 3hrs on a heating pad this morning to just be able to stand up straight. I then went and spent another 2 hrs clearing more bullshit on another trail, only limited by the memory of pain caused by yesterday. All this for what amounts to a matter of seconds of trail experience.

I'm starting to think that many of you may be right and that I'm a complete moron.

edit: sniped by @AngryMetalsmith

Nevermind. I'm a fucking genius compared to that.