Quantcast

££¶¶¶Dingwing Shaturday ©¢~~~~√

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am working 7-5 today and tomorrow. 'tis one of my 5 or so weekends of call shifts per year. Nevertheless, I shall persist

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
WOOT slept 9 glorious hours last night. Heading over to the barn to help my fishing buddy Pat move some equipment while he recovers from hernia surgery ( he can't lift anything for another few weeks while he heals up). Then its back hom to reinstall the dually fender that blew off in the blow out. It's a bit scuffed up but it looks much better since I repainted it (not going to spend $800 on a new piece of plastic).

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Morning Monkeys,

Picked up a new commuting toy.

Now with proper tire pressure (dealer only had 15psi in the front) I hopefully won't lay it down again. At least the dealer is getting me new parts due to their inspection fail.

Braaap
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well this morning started out shitty. Wonderful sound of water running. I figured the kittens turned on the water, so I went down to check on them and water was pouring out of the ceiling in the basement. Sprint to turn off the water into the house and open all the faucets to get water out of the pipes. Got Wifey and started the mitigation process...
IMG_20201128_071754_01.jpg

Turns out our house valves don't fully work, which happened at our last house too. There's a ton of calcium buildup in the water here causing it to not close fully. So emergency call to the water district, which took 30min to get here. Thankfully I was able to slow the water flow, but not stop it in the interim.

At least 8 sheets of drywall need to be replaced. There are a bunch of floor planks damaged both upstairs and down. I narrowed it down to a small hole on the main floor. When I was putting in the baseboards I punctured a pipe that was resting on the drywall. It has just taken 6 months for the nail to corrode enough to let it start to leak.

Trying to get a plumber to come out today to fix the hole and replace the valves, but no success in the last 2 hours yet. Thankfully Wifey's mom lives 2 miles away, so we can use her shower for now. This might wait until Monday at this pace.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Well this morning started out shitty. Wonderful sound of water running. I figured the kittens turned on the water, so I went down to check on them and water was pouring out of the ceiling in the basement. Sprint to turn off the water into the house and open all the faucets to get water out of the pipes. Got Wifey and started the mitigation process...
View attachment 152891

Turns out our house valves don't fully work, which happened at our last house too. There's a ton of calcium buildup in the water here causing it to not close fully. So emergency call to the water district, which took 30min to get here. Thankfully I was able to slow the water flow, but not stop it in the interim.

At least 8 sheets of drywall need to be replaced. There are a bunch of floor planks damaged both upstairs and down. I narrowed it down to a small hole on the main floor. When I was putting in the baseboards I punctured a pipe that was resting on the drywall. It has just taken 6 months for th e nail to corrode enough to let it start to leak.

Trying to get a plumber to come out today to fix the hole and replace the valves, but no success in the last 2 hours yet. Thankfully Wifey's mom lives 2 miles away, so we can use her shower for now. This might wait until Monday at this pace.
If it's a gate valve keep working it back and forth sometimes you can get them to close there is no guarantee the gate valve at the street will close if there is that much lime scale

Sweating copper is surprisingly easy

When they come back to turn on the water look at the end of the curb key and go buy your own, if you own a home spend the $20 for your own curb key
Screenshot_20201128-113837.png

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If it's a gate valve keep working it back and forth sometimes you can get them to close there is no guarantee the gate valve at the street will close if there is that much lime scale

Sweating copper is surprisingly easy

When they come back to turn on the water look at the end of the curb key and go buy your own, if you own a home spend the $20 for your own curb key
View attachment 152892
Thanks. Our was apparently 1' under the grass; I never would have found it.

I know sweating it is easy, but I've never been consistent enough to want to do it on main lines. I'm also going to go from a knob style valve to 90*; they tend to have less build up issues here.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Home ownership stories are the most horrifying stories. At least in Murica, I never detected anything remotely similar in my 3rd world yuropean country.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Social ride in the books. Took a tumble, got lost, but was good none the less.

Now to grocery shop? Maybe Bed, Bath & Beyond if we're lucky.

View attachment 152891

At least 8 sheets of drywall need to be replaced. There are a bunch of floor planks damaged both upstairs and down. I narrowed it down to a small hole on the main floor. When I was putting in the baseboards I punctured a pipe that was resting on the drywall. It has just taken 6 months for the nail to corrode enough to let it start to leak.

Lame. Dislike. Been there done that.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Uh, fuck! Sorry @stoney!
Was taking soils samples all day today. No, I didn't crash a lot, I am talking real soil samples! ;)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Plumber out tomorrow am. While sitting down I noticed the flooring on the main floor is cracking badly and I don't have any spare. We might be making an insurance claim at this point. :( It might have been $2-3k before the main floor floor damage. With flooring replacement? Let's just push that in an adtl $5-7k.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Fun ride with splat and Wife. About 9 miles/2.5 hours. It was slow going. A shitload of trails packed into a little bit of land, which meant very twisty trails and endless switchbacks. You can never really get any speed going because of how twisty the trails were. It was good practice for me with the wide bars and big wheels, which I am still adjusting to. I did clip my bars on a few trees and one time it sent me for a soft endo. I will say one thing I love about my new bike is how easy it climbs, especially when I stand and climb. There is no bounce or pedal bob...it's great. I can stand and hammer. With my RFX, when I stood to climb it was like trying to climb with a pogo stick.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
there is definitely something to the Switch Infinity, regardless of opinions on Yetis. They climb amazingly well.

Having significantly less travel will also make a bike pedal better. My single pivot Turner Flux pedaled great.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I had water running from the toilet of my upstairs neighbor into my bathroom in the middle of the night.

I sold that condo long ago, still pisses me off thinking about it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Took my young guy out for our first (for both of us) skate ski ever today.
1606621503880.png

I think it went better for me than for him. He didn't quite get the hang of skating. yet. He got more comfortable on skis after a bit of tooling around, but I don't think he liked it. It was my first time skate skiing too, and goddam is it ever a wicked workout. Fast on the flats, crazy fast on the descents, and ridiculously painful on the climbs. There is going to be quite a learning curve. But if I get out 2x/week doing this over the winter, I think I will get in crazy good shape.

Hit the indoor bike park on the DJ with a couple of buddies tonight. If was pretty sweet to go with friends having gone with kids so much! we rode for an hour and a half, and then headed to the brewery next door. sat outside (37°F) and shot the shit for another hour or so... it was nice. I miss those "normal" days of riding then heading to pub.

I'm now sitting at home drinking Larceny and eating some artisanal Kuchen... no complaints here!