Quantcast

¤¤¤Friday GMT¤¤¤

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ADHD doesn't sound like the problem from what you've talked about. It sounds like depression. As for ADHD, that's an easy way for control, but stymieing potential. A lot of very smart people are told they have ADHD when in reality it's just being very smart and bored with the mediocrity they deal with daily.
Part of the evaluation is an IQ test. He scored really high there - in some cases in the 98 percentile. But his ability to concentrate and stay on task is in the 25th percentile (or below), so the trick is to get the focus and attention up to a level where he can benefit from his intelligence.

The psychologist described it in terms of a high-performance car. He's a really good car (let's say for example a M5), with a really good engine, but he's running with one flat tire. Because it's such a good car, it can operate at the same level as a Tercel, even with the flat, but to get the full potential out of it, you want to fix that flat.

This is consistent with a lot of what I've read, and anecdotal evidence of a few of my buddies.

As for depression, I think you're thinking of someone else... wingnut perhaps?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A lot of very smart people are told they have ADHD when in reality it's just being very smart and bored with the mediocrity they deal with daily.
:stupid:

This is me and why I did so poorly in high school. My daughter has the same issue, only the ex has no idea how to fix it. She was put into a school that would have helped, but that went out the window.

As I've gotten older, I've needed less interesting challenges, but I think I will always require a stretch, as well one should, I guess.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As for depression, I think you're thinking of someone else... wingnut perhaps?
Possibly. All of us are getting old enough to have them and I'm confused as to who has which kids doing what now.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I would be displeased if I bought that, it just looks like a m3 with a matte silver wrap
It'd win the affection of all the 25 year old bro-dawgs at the local BMW club meet, though. Is that not the point?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Does CarMax exist up north? Only way I'd touch one of those is with a CarMax extended warranty (MaxCare), a la Doug DeMuro and his Range Rover.
It might... There's a Q7 listed too with some sort of extended warranty being listed as a feature.

Doug DeMuro? A thread I missed?

Crazy that one can get a Porsche for less than a Pathfinder of the same year. A Porsche with 100 more hp, and 50k less mileage.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Got the psychologists report on my son today. Definitely very smart, definitely has adhd. Definitely try the drugs.

Not sure what to think. Need time to digest.

On the other hand, the way he describes the boy's problems , sounds like he's describing me. Maybe I should go on the drugs?
I could tell you a thing or 2...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It might... There's a Q7 listed too with some sort of extended warranty being listed as a feature.

Doug DeMuro? A thread I missed?

Crazy that one can get a Porsche for less than a Pathfinder of the same year. A Porsche with 100 more hp, and 50k less mileage.
No claims on the vehicle history.

You should totally buy that. :popcorn:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While the cost to get into it is cheap, a car that costs $100k new still costs that to fix. Have you priced a Range Rover? Also the Doug DeMuro blog on his Range Rover is epic.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Personally I'd vinyl wrap before dipping. Might cost you a few more bucks but I have to think it would look better.
Have you seen what they do with dip?

My buddy has dipped his GTR about a half dozen times now trying to get just the right color. Here is the last version with the chameleon pearl over blue.

He shoots it in about 2 hours start to finish. Wrap is a HUGE pain in the ass. My wheels were dipped over a year ago and I just did a few touch ups over the weekend.

And for reference, his car is gray.

<edit> I am not a fan of his new front bumper and fenders, though.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
:stupid:

This is me and why I did so poorly in high school. My daughter has the same issue, only the ex has no idea how to fix it. She was put into a school that would have helped, but that went out the window.

As I've gotten older, I've needed less interesting challenges, but I think I will always require a stretch, as well one should, I guess.
It may or may not be ADD but having high cognitive penalties for doing uninteresting stuff is a problem. I'm starting therapy for that myself. As soon as I got baited by money to a non interesting position my performance went from one of the best employees to one of the worst.

@slyfink outside of drugs therapy to make the kid learn how to deal with situations he doesn't want to be is important.

Overall you can train it. Some people force themselves you can just do the pomodoro technique but I'll wait and see what my brain person says.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It may or may not be ADD but having high cognitive penalties for doing uninteresting stuff is a problem. I'm starting therapy for that myself. As soon as I got baited by money to a non interesting position my performance went from one of the best employees to one of the worst.

@slyfink outside of drugs therapy to make the kid learn how to deal with situations he doesn't want to be is important.

Overall you can train it. Some people force themselves you can just do the pomodoro technique but I'll wait and see what my brain person says.
totally agree. and that's the biggest concern my wife and I have about the drugs. We'd really like to try behaviour modification techniques first. But the way it's being explained to us, is that it's a chicken and egg thing. The drugs can get you to a point where you can see your true potential, and see what success looks like. and you develop good work habits while on the drugs. once those are set, you rely more on your coping habits than the drugs. that's the theory anyways. we have to think this through and see if we believe that or not.

I've tried the pomodoro technique. and it doesn't work when I have access to teh :monkey:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it's nice that tool is fucking with their fans and having these guys open....

@slyfink: For god's sake don't dope the kid up. My measured IQ is or was kind of off the top, and I acted out in school because I was bored shitless. I think I managed to accomplish a few things prior to becoming a raging old fart. You're being fed drug company marketing crap.

I just found out that my girlfriend from college is now a lesbian. With her best friend from college. I am glad to know that I am not the last person to have dated or had relations with her, but I'm not far off the end of that list. At least I know I started her out as straight but didn't end her being straight. Side note - she drives an Outback. :rofl:
Does anyone else think that this explains rather a lot? :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@stoney.....a friend left town a lesbian about a year and a half a go and came back three months pregnant.....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
totally agree. and that's the biggest concern my wife and I have about the drugs. We'd really like to try behaviour modification techniques first. But the way it's being explained to us, is that it's a chicken and egg thing. The drugs can get you to a point where you can see your true potential, and see what success looks like. and you develop good work habits while on the drugs. once those are set, you rely more on your coping habits than the drugs. that's the theory anyways. we have to think this through and see if we believe that or not.

I've tried the pomodoro technique. and it doesn't work when I have access to teh :monkey:
Challenge him. That's what my Dad did. He found things that I was remotely interested in and gave me the resources to go crazy in a given direction until I got bored and wanted to do something else and aimed me that way.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Interesting reading in this thread. So, is the never ending MTB challenge a way to occupy a tireless mind with high cognitive function that also cannot give enough fcuks about anything anymore? :think:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Interesting reading in this thread. So, is the never ending MTB challenge a way to occupy a tireless mind with high cognitive function that also cannot give enough fcuks about anything anymore? :think:
That's what worked for me in my middle and high school years. Mountain biking, skiing, performing music, doing marine biology research, teaching a math course after running out of other options... Ok, maybe it was more than just the biking. :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Yeah the pomodoro only works to people with small problems.

As for drugs my fiance is the best example. She has been in and out of therapy for years and only after she was diagnosed with borderline and got good meds the therapy worked as something more than life coaching (she is pushing me towards working on myself now ). Now she made great changes, created positive habbits. Though I have to say she is not off her meds so I can't say how it will be when she gets off. If you decide to try them you should get off them gradually (though the doc will tell you the same, I just have a few friends who cut depression drugs completely and suddenly and the effects were easy to predict)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Challenge him. That's what my Dad did. He found things that I was remotely interested in and gave me the resources to go crazy in a given direction until I got bored and wanted to do something else and aimed me that way.
It's a great way to develop him but on the other hand you still need mechanisms to cope when you have to do stuff you are not interested in. I get light panic attacks when I have to do some stuff I don't like that might not be a super comfortable. A good mechanism for handling those situations is important