Quantcast

¤¤¤Wednesday WTF GMT¤¤¤

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
And from the Ridemonkey home mechanics horror files, a friend and I tried our damnedest to change out one of the CV axles on my Escape last night in preparation for sale. It was a real whore to get out of the hub side and just refused to come out of the stub shaft. So now I have to hitch a ride to work and hope for the best tonight. :(

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wow ok that's pretty easy!

I did tension/dish/true my lefty wheel last night, seems pretty good. Not sure just how much tension needs to be on the spokes, but they feel "alright" and are mostly even. It's the lacing I'm scaret of.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I did tension/dish/true my lefty wheel last night, seems pretty good. Not sure just how much tension needs to be on the spokes, but they feel "alright" and are mostly even. It's the lacing I'm scaret of.
lacing is easy as long as you know how to count. check out sheldon brown, he'll help you out. from beyond the grave!

regarding tension, i just go for high tension. i don't have a tension gauge or any of that BS. obviously not so high that you are stripping the threads, but enough that they wont back out on you.

also, linseed oil > spoke prep.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I just looked at a spoke calculator the other day that had a recommended spoke tension figures built into it. I think it was the DT/Swiss one....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
other peoples parents....

if this friend i have ever comes out of his coma.....i'm going to tell him what fvcking twat his mom is.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
linseed oil is all you need if you build the wheels right. also, a gallon is like 20 bucks. enough for a life time of wheel building.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
also, anti-seize > linseed oil or spoke prep

no need for threadlocking stuff
I've used linseed oil in the past but it was pretty expensive for what you need. There's no option to buy a quart, you have to buy a gallon, and it's like $25...and apparently you only need it one time per nipple.

I have anti seize hanging around, that would be easy to do...but do the spokes back out? I'll probably be building with butted spokes this round. Probably old nips and hubs and new rims and spokes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have anti seize hanging around, that would be easy to do...but do the spokes back out? I'll probably be building with butted spokes this round. Probably old nips and hubs and new rims and spokes.
No, they don't back out. If you tension and de-stress (unwind) the spokes well, they will never spin in the nipples and get loose. OTOH, when you'll need to true the wheel in the future, the last thing you want is seized threads and rounded nipples. If you want and can, reuse spokes and discard old nips.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
They are cheap, and their edges wear down with truing / taking wheel apart / tensioning up to a point when you cannot true a wheel any more. Also, they are high stress components that are much more likely to crack than any other part of the wheel. Simply put, if you spend all the time and energy with building a wheel, don't be cheap and spend the two bucks for new nipples to get a good fresh start.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just can't catch a break this week. A machine operator left a door open on his machine. Then it began running. Then a coolant nozzle, brilliantly aimed AT THE DOOR THAT WAS OPEN, proceeded to shower me head to toe with oil. :(

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
how hard is building your own wheels, anyways?
easy enough i can do it.

I did it, too. Regarding spoke tension, I used the musical pitch method since I'm both a nerd and a musician:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ToshiClark/posts/MV1GX5Qg374 has details.

In I-am-old news, I managed to trip down 4-5 stairs heading to the basement carrying a bag of laundry last night. I grabbed the railing while in flight and dislocated my (chronically lax) right shoulder. It popped back in spontaneously as it has so many times before, but neither it or I are a happy camper today.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
Closed on the sale of our house yesterday, open escrow today on the new pad. That is all.
Congrats :thumb:! Where did you buy a house at and if you stayed in orange county did you sell one of your kidneys to be able to afford a home there ?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yes, staying in OC. Made 100K on my house I purchased while a bachelor 6 years ago. Took a cash offer on the first day for $510K which was full price. House is about 950 sq ft. Purchasing a house in North Tustin area for $625K. The new house is 1400 sq ft but is very low priced in the neighborhood and we have a 9500 sq ft lot, with a pool and jacuzzi. It's sort of updated but still needs some work.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Thanks man. The real estate market around here is insane right now. There is no inventory right now, especially where we were looking. We stopped by the house last night and got to talking to the neighbor. He said there had to be a couple hundred people through the open house and they kept coming even after the stated hours. The agent got to meet us on the day of the open house even though we had been by earlier and already submitted an offer. I think that helped us out. Sounds like they had multiple offers and even though we weren't the highest, they countered to us to match and gave us first shot. We decided to just do it since there is no doubt it would sell for that.