Quantcast

¤}{¤mercredi GMT¤}{¤... estie

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
'Mornin.

I started my day off by sharpening my knife with a sharpening steel in my cube. Had a few people poke their heads in asking if I was ok. sure am. I'm just about to have a ruby red grapefruit is all.

have a good day eberybody

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Mercredi have mercy on me. :dead: Feeling a little off again, perhaps the ride yesterday wasn't such a great idea? Eff this bacteria and virus season.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Decided yesterday's ride was going to be one where I kept attempting obstacles until I either made it or didn't in convincing fashion. To say that I became very intimate with the ground might be an understatement, I'm finding new sore spots all over this morning.

One day RR/MW/DR, I will conquer you.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hiya fellers LOLOLOL!! omg

19 miles on the tri bike after work yesterday sure was nice, except for the headwind the second half of the ride. I detoured and went up a long hill to change direction because it was easier than pedaling into the wind. Anyway, it's nice to have sunlight and warmth after work again and not have to wear 50 layers for a road ride.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
do the derp. i really need to start figuring out a way to get more saddle time. i've been waking up between 4-5 am the last few days. if this keeps up i may just start getting on the trainer.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Ride on the trainer last night watching Roam. My riding partner had never seen it before, so it was pretty cool. I found Transcontinental, Chainsmoke 2, and 30 Second Gaps for the next few rides. Does anybody remember the movie with Dave Watson and Thomas Vanderham bombing a high speed single track with classical music in the background? I don't think it was a Kranked movie, but it was around the same time.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! I'm being a lazy ass mofo this morning and not planning on much for the day. I finished our taxes last night and am pleased to report we owe just over a hundred dollars to the state and will get a hundred dollar refund from the feds. That's good planning. :) I actually thought we would owe a significant amount due to nice bonus and capital gains. Thanks Obama. :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here. Ride on the trainer last night watching Roam. My riding partner had never seen it before, so it was pretty cool. I found Transcontinental, Chainsmoke 2, and 30 Second Gaps for the next few rides. Does anybody remember the movie with Dave Watson and Thomas Vanderham bombing a high speed single track with classical music in the background? I don't think it was a Kranked movie, but it was around the same time.
dunno, but poke around youtube. a lot of those older videos are turning up there. NWD 10 is there. i know for a while there was some stuff on netflix as well.

the redbull TV app also has a lot of their less recent movies as well.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Part of me feels like a total grandpa and part of me feels like a jackass. I can't for the life of me justify that damn 16" Quadangle other than the fact that it is not only adorable, but pimp as hell. It's $420 and that is just crazy. The Lil PK Ripper is $340. I had a PK and a Flyer 8th-10th grades. The Quad was just bitchin and one of my rich friends had one. The idea of lil Man having one at 4 just seems crazy. Not that it wouldn't last until he's ready for 20", but spending $400+ on a kids bike does seem silly. But part of me wants to do it because I kinda can (total Grandpa mode). It's so bad ass, though. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
People suck, is there any way you could not live near people?
The wife and I are still on the fence about this one. My neighbor moved out to the sticks on the lake with nobody visible on almost every side. But now his commute is 90 min each way and he can't decide how he should do it since the Dodge Ram 3500 isn't all that fun on the back roads. My vote is either fun car or motorcycle, that's what I did

We've been looking for something no further than where we are, but not suburbia. 1.5 to 5ish wooded acres is ideal.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkeys.

Part of me feels like a total grandpa and part of me feels like a jackass. I can't for the life of me justify that damn 16" Quadangle other than the fact that it is not only adorable, but pimp as hell. It's $420 and that is just crazy. The Lil PK Ripper is $340. I had a PK and a Flyer 8th-10th grades. The Quad was just bitchin and one of my rich friends had one. The idea of lil Man having one at 4 just seems crazy. Not that it wouldn't last until he's ready for 20", but spending $400+ on a kids bike does seem silly. But part of me wants to do it because I kinda can (total Grandpa mode). It's so bad ass, though. :rofl:
College fund.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
College fund.
This is an interesting concept as neither my folks nor my grandparents did that (folks did help me while I was in school, though). Bman went to a semester of community college when he considered becoming a welder, but that was it. He made ok money when he was cooking (no school, scratch kitchen) and the only reason he stopped was the lack of advancement as a chef. Not saying lil Man won't go to college, but it will be interesting to see where he (and the world) is in 14 more years. He could use a bike right now. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bike, beer, clothes, shed and cookies are all loaded in the car for a ride tonight.

Of course, the power decides to go out at one of my buildings today. Besides a virii outbreak or something, this is probably the worst situation for any sys admin. Shit just does not work without that wonderful electricity stuff. Half the factory is out, including the server room. No one knows where the problem is.... Perhaps this will be incentive for them to purchase better UPS units. :homer:

:popcorn:

Time to pound back coffee and wait this shit storm out.:panic:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
@jimmydean This. We do a 50/50 split when Haley gets money gifts - half to her 529, half to her. If you use this logic, you help them now on bikes and later when it matters too.
This is a great idea. Still not 100% on the stash point, yet. Lil Mans mom has a heap of student loan debt, a Masters in something almost useless and is now a manager at a plasma donation clinic (medical was not her major). He doesn't come from overly educated genes (Bman not being bio-son and bio-pops being career criminal), so it will be interesting to see how he takes to school. He loves to read and count and we spend a lot of time teaching as good parents/grandparents do. But he will likely be a mechanic, welder, electrician, job with his name on his shirt type gig.

<edit> I'm a realist. Bman had no interest in continued education via school, but was an amazing chef and is a hard worker. I never pushed the idea of college on him and he only briefly considered the military.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And really, the quadangle is kind of like a slightly less bad investment. $420 new, rides for 3 years, sell it for $300. $120 for the use of an amazing bike vs $80 for a crap pile? :clue:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to think I got paid for the value that I brought to a company. Now I just get paid in reparation for dealing with knee deep bullshit. It pays better so I am not really complaining.

Signed the papers on the new house yesterday, should get keys tomorrow.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is an interesting concept as neither my folks nor my grandparents did that (folks did help me while I was in school, though). Bman went to a semester of community college when he considered becoming a welder, but that was it. He made ok money when he was cooking (no school, scratch kitchen) and the only reason he stopped was the lack of advancement as a chef. Not saying lil Man won't go to college, but it will be interesting to see where he (and the world) is in 14 more years. He could use a bike right now. :D
Read and count? A career in management is what that boy needs, no education required. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Read and count? A career in management is what that boy needs, no education required. :D
I plan to teach him all I can about his bike and cars/trucks/motorcycles as he gets older. His dad has the same aversion to management as I do, no idea where he got that from. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is a great idea. Still not 100% on the stash point, yet. Lil Mans mom has a heap of student loan debt, a Masters in something almost useless and is now a manager at a plasma donation clinic (medical was not her major). He doesn't come from overly educated genes (Bman not being bio-son and bio-pops being career criminal), so it will be interesting to see how he takes to school. He loves to read and count and we spend a lot of time teaching as good parents/grandparents do. But he will likely be a mechanic, welder, electrician, job with his name on his shirt type gig.

<edit> I'm a realist. Bman had no interest in continued education via school, but was an amazing chef and is a hard worker. I never pushed the idea of college on him and he only briefly considered the military.
and thus the poverty cycle continues

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Bike, beer, clothes, shed and cookies are all loaded in the car for a ride tonight.

Of course, the power decides to go out at one of my buildings today. Besides a virii outbreak or something, this is probably the worst situation for any sys admin. Shit just does not work without that wonderful electricity stuff. Half the factory is out, including the server room. No one knows where the problem is.... Perhaps this will be incentive for them to purchase better UPS units. :homer:

:popcorn:

Time to pound back coffee and wait this shit storm out.:panic:
Time to GTFO and ride NOW. Nothing even a Sys Admin can do without power.

Tell them to page you when they get power back. That's when the proper shitstorm should start.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I used to think I got paid for the value that I brought to a company. Now I just get paid in reparation for dealing with knee deep bullshit. It pays better so I am not really complaining.
This. Fortunately, each job change tends to bring more $$ to deal with the bullshit. Probably one of the *few* advantages of getting older^H^H^H^H^Hwiser.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
and thus the poverty cycle continues
I think it will be interesting to see the state of the education system when he gets to high school. I'll be pushing for STEM because that is where the future is likely heading. But if you look around these parts, there are a lot more tech jobs available that no longer ask for a degree than there used to be. Technology moves too fast for traditional education. Kids finishing 4 year degrees in Computer Science will likely have less valid experience than kids who are either self taught or go to online boot camps for coding.

Right now my company can't hire enough lineman. It's gotten so bad they started their own pre-apprentice program to train folks from day 1. If you go through the program, you can be journeyman in 3 years. That's $38/hour from $18/hour to start the program. We have a lot of lineman that make more than $100k a year and they have zero student loan debt and that job can't be shipped overseas or fully automated.

<edit> I don't make $100k a year and I have over $100k in student loan debt from 2 for-profit school.

Last edited:
I loves me some spring.

From FB, @jstuhlman. @AngryMetalsmith :

"...we got an unintentional tip-of about some secret trails, from a bike shop guy. We drove to the trail head, the parking lot was all NC plates, a good sign. We met some locals who when asked denied the existence of any trail. Then asked in a WE WANT RETRIBUTION kind of way who told us about the trails, no info there. So.... we staked out the locals. We raced up a fire road, waited in the bushes until they went by, followed their tracks and road one of the fastest and most wide open backcountry trials ether of us has ever ridden. It was awesome, until we realized that we were three mountain ranges away from the car and it was getting dark. At which point we had an hour long hike-a-bike back up, and a crazy fast fire road descent in the dark back to the car.

By the way, don't even think of asking where all this took place. As far as we know there are no trails."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think it will be interesting to see the state of the education system when he gets to high school. I'll be pushing for STEM because that is where the future is likely heading. But if you look around these parts, there are a lot more tech jobs available that no longer ask for a degree than there used to be. Technology moves too fast for traditional education. Kids finishing 4 year degrees in Computer Science will likely have less valid experience than kids who are either self taught or go to online boot camps for coding.

Right now my company can't hire enough lineman. It's gotten so bad they started their own pre-apprentice program to train folks from day 1. If you go through the program, you can be journeyman in 3 years. That's $38/hour from $18/hour to start the program. We have a lot of lineman that make more than $100k a year and they have zero student loan debt and that job can't be shipped overseas or fully automated.

<edit> I don't make $100k a year and I have over $100k in student loan debt from 2 for-profit school.
i was just making a dick comment.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Time to GTFO and ride NOW. Nothing even a Sys Admin can do without power.

Tell them to page you when they get power back. That's when the proper shitstorm should start.
I would if there was any sort of trail around here. I'm elbow deep in the city.

Nothing too critical or complicated in this building, just need to make sure stuff actually turns on and then it's go time for bikes.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Teach him to do the robot. By the time he's ready to join the workforce perhaps his robot imitation game will be so strong he can get hired to fill one of the myriad of jobs people used to do.