Quantcast

¤}{¤mercredi GMT¤}{¤... estie

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Somebody gonna get a gmt Squeebin' for that title.
FOR FUCK SAKE!!!! WHY IS THE GMT ASYMMETRIC?!?

:panic:

waking up between 4-5 am
I fucking wish

I used to think I got paid for the value that I brought to a company. Now I just get paid in reparation for dealing with knee deep bullshit.
Any more, my attitude is so shitty, that if I got paid for the value I brought I'd owe money. My only motivator is to do just enough to keep collecting a pay check, and to make sure that the little work I do doesn't get anybody killed.

Right now my company can't hire enough lineman. It's gotten so bad they started their own pre-apprentice program to train folks from day 1. If you go through the program, you can be journeyman in 3 years. That's $38/hour from $18/hour to start the program. We have a lot of lineman that make more than $100k a year and they have zero student loan debt and that job can't be shipped overseas or fully automated.
Send me a link and/or application.

:wave:

Up early for a run. Walked dogs. Electrician came by for a quote. I need wire pulled to the master bedroom so I can hang a ceiling fan and I want 240 pulled to our detached garage in anticipation of an electric car. While the car probably won't happen anytime soon, I'd also like to finish dry walling the garage and I figure I probably ought have all the wire inside the walls before I do that. Got to get in all my fuck-off time today. Parent/teacher conferences thurs-fri so it'll be me and kid on those days while wife has to tell a bunch of parents why their kids suck.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I think it will be interesting to see the state of the education system when he gets to high school. I'll be pushing for STEM because that is where the future is likely heading. But if you look around these parts, there are a lot more tech jobs available that no longer ask for a degree than there used to be. Technology moves too fast for traditional education. Kids finishing 4 year degrees in Computer Science will likely have less valid experience than kids who are either self taught or go to online boot camps for coding.

Right now my company can't hire enough lineman. It's gotten so bad they started their own pre-apprentice program to train folks from day 1. If you go through the program, you can be journeyman in 3 years. That's $38/hour from $18/hour to start the program. We have a lot of lineman that make more than $100k a year and they have zero student loan debt and that job can't be shipped overseas or fully automated.

<edit> I don't make $100k a year and I have over $100k in student loan debt from 2 for-profit school.
I dont pay attention ... do you work for a utility? Cable is on the way to becoming the next communication dodo bird. To my way of thinking wired communication requires too much infrastructure to remain commercially viable. Wireless everything is the future. Unless electricity.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Why do days off always involve laumdry? Every since yesterday's GMT I have been craving taco bell, I know it's crap but I might wake up at midnight and get me some of that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Here. Ride on the trainer last night watching Roam. My riding partner had never seen it before, so it was pretty cool. I found Transcontinental, Chainsmoke 2, and 30 Second Gaps for the next few rides. Does anybody remember the movie with Dave Watson and Thomas Vanderham bombing a high speed single track with classical music in the background? I don't think it was a Kranked movie, but it was around the same time.
spomers video and ride to the hills are still my favorites...and fagerlins old videos...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
spomers video and ride to the hills are still my favorites...and fagerlins old videos...
What was Spomer's second video? Not Alpha Project, the other one. *I should know this, as I did about 20% of the filming.
n/m figured it out.
Clappin' Yo Dome

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I dont pay attention ... do you work for a utility?

While I have never worked for a cable company, I did work at nCube that got bought by C-Cor that then got bought by Arris, the largest manufacturer of cable modems and set top boxes. As wireless technology improves and online content becomes more available, traditional tv service will evolve with it. Just look at how fast Google Fiber died off due to wifi options.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Denver Children's Museum is a zoo. Fun for the kids but a zoo nonetheless. Also probably 85 dB inside from all the screaming kids.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Denver Children's Museum is a zoo. Fun for the kids but a zoo nonetheless. Also probably 85 dB inside from all the screaming kids.
You just figured this out? It's all about the climbing structure thing and the zip line outside.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Send me a link and/or application.
Correction, $24.79/hour to start, there will be another round soon, I'm sure. The last posting ended in November, but I think the summer season hires start soon. Here's some info.

https://www.nwppa.org/job/pre-apprentice-lineman/

Pre-Apprentice Lineman (U16-161) $24.79/hr.

The pre-apprentice program is a formal, structured training and on-the-job experience opportunity.  Successful applicants are provided two years to complete the program and to be accepted into our line apprenticeship.  During the program, you will learn to apply safe work practices while working on overhead and/or underground line construction maintenance crews while completing established competencies.  You will work in all types of weather conditions and perform work at heights up to 90 feet, underground or in confined spaces.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Knar. Totally worth it... but that is a lot of blood.
Yeah - I've taken rocks to the ankles/shins before... this one was about fist-sized, I think... didn't think anything of it until I started feeling liquid running quickly down my leg. It was practically spurting out when I stopped. Really fucking weird.

REI hiking socks on a bike ride? :facepalm:
All socks are bike socks if you're not a bitch. :monkey:

Where'd you ride?
South Valley/KC. I'm woefully out of shape and there's a really nice 9 mile loop there that ends with kind of a mini-Kessel Run. I split myself open on the really boring, flat part. Eff.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
that is tempting....
It's a legit gig, I was going either lineman or electrician when I first moved to Oregon. I just happen to fall face first into the IT side of the house, so that's where I've lived. I enjoy the interior work environment at my age, but for the young and able bodied, its a hell of a gig. I just learned about the pre-apprentice program at a company get together when talking about hiring and future growth.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I loves me some spring.

From FB, @jstuhlman. @AngryMetalsmith :

"...we got an unintentional tip-of about some secret trails, from a bike shop guy. We drove to the trail head, the parking lot was all NC plates, a good sign. We met some locals who when asked denied the existence of any trail. Then asked in a WE WANT RETRIBUTION kind of way who told us about the trails, no info there. So.... we staked out the locals. We raced up a fire road, waited in the bushes until they went by, followed their tracks and road one of the fastest and most wide open backcountry trials ether of us has ever ridden. It was awesome, until we realized that we were three mountain ranges away from the car and it was getting dark. At which point we had an hour long hike-a-bike back up, and a crazy fast fire road descent in the dark back to the car.

By the way, don't even think of asking where all this took place. As far as we know there are no trails."
Sounds about right for some where in Western NC. There are tons of secret trails up there. We had one that was 25 minutes or longer of uninterrupted DH, which is extremely rare for the region. At some point, even shuttling, you're going to have to climb to get to the goods. Some of the best descents in Pisgah require an hour or more of climbing just to reach the trailhead.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That Pr-apprentice program sounds like a good leg in and career path ,
I was surprised that this was a tough spot to fill now. When I looked into it WAY back in '93, there was a pretty good wait list for electrical apprenticeships and a tough path to journeyman where as this is a direct line with benefits and a solid start. But it also helps the company groom its workforce. They understand the value in long term employees with long term knowledge.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Apparently a price needed to be paid for the lunch ride. I mostly blame the asymmetry of the fucking GMT. :rant:

Blood splattered all over the chainstay & crank arm too. It wasn't really even a very big cut. WTF.

View attachment 125126 View attachment 125127
Fuckin-a man, you're a bleeder. That is a little cut for that much blood loss. You should carry a QuickClot trauma pad. Or take @Toshi with you. :D

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
I was surprised that this was a tough spot to fill now. When I looked into it WAY back in '93, there was a pretty good wait list for electrical apprenticeships and a tough path to journeyman where as this is a direct line with benefits and a solid start. But it also helps the company groom its workforce. They understand the value in long term employees with long term knowledge.
If I was in a different place and time in my life, this would be a very attractive opportunity.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Fuckin-a man, you're a bleeder. That is a little cut for that much blood loss. You should carry a QuickClot trauma pad. Or take @Toshi with you. :D
Both good suggestions. I just raided the wife's cupboard and put some chopped up maxi-pads in my kit. :monkey:

So a couple summers ago in Crusty Butt I FLAYED my shins with my flats at high speed. Didn't bleed nearly as much as this. Musta hit a soft spot.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Both good suggestions. I just raided the wife's cupboard and put some chopped up maxi-pads in my kit. :monkey:

So a couple summers ago in Crusty Butt I FLAYED my shins with my flats at high speed. Didn't bleed nearly as much as this. Musta hit a soft spot.
I am not saying it is zikaebolaids, but it is zikaebolaids. :tinfoil: